Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8610 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 431  Next
 Post subject: Re: Does anyone care about the economy?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:54 pm 
Administrator

Doug RR wrote:
malice wrote:
given2trade wrote:
malice wrote:
given2trade wrote:
Doug RR wrote:
throws hands in the air....its getting comical now

At Dow 7500/S&P 750 I buy a gun. Every 10% down from there I buy another gun.

This is bad. I feel bad for "main street" that has no idea what's coming. For instance, this thread is barely read vs. others. Most people oblivious to the pain that is ahead. Doesn't matter if you own stocks or not.

I don't know if that's true or not, but I, for one, am well aware of what this is going to mean over the next few years, and honestly this is probably the first time in my life I've actively seeked out television and internet information about what's going on and how it will effect the stupid fucks like myself in the coming few years.

There's nothing more motivational to me than fear and ignorange about a subject that will have direct effects on my life to get me looking for information and education on a subject.

I don't assume to have even a working knowledge of what's happening, but that doesn't stop me from making every effort to find out.

You are not indicative of the average person. (In a good way).

thanks, although honestly I just don't know that even educating oneself about it will do anyone any good- I mean, for most people, myself included, the last 8 years have not been easy ones, nor even realistically difficult, they've been out and out retardedly difficult economically-and that's including the 3 or 4 year period at the beginning of the decade when the dotcom bubble was still growing because as soon as it began to show signs of slowdown for those companies- and the companies that did business with them, everything changed drastically- so a bump in pay really wasn't an indicator of what was to come in the future. My entire department was closed down by 2004.

Anyway, what I'm saying is this couldn't happen at a worse time- and I'm not even in much debt compared to a lot of people I know- plus I have great credit, but I think even with those kinds of pluses, it's going to be horribly difficult to get through the next few years and I see no way around it.

It's fairly terrifying, and I see no way of avoiding it.

if you would like to stay in my 800 sq ft bathroom when times get tough, just pm me

Pfft, that's the size of my linen closet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:56 pm 
alot of $$$

malice wrote:
given2trade wrote:
malice wrote:
given2trade wrote:
Doug RR wrote:

This is bad. I feel bad for "main street" that has no idea what's coming. For instance, this thread is barely read vs. others. Most people oblivious to the pain that is ahead. Doesn't matter if you own stocks or not.

I don't know if that's true or not, but I, for one, am well aware of what this is going to mean over the next few years, and honestly this is probably the first time in my life I've actively seeked out television and internet information about what's going on and how it will effect the stupid fucks like myself in the coming few years.

There's nothing more motivational to me than fear and ignorange about a subject that will have direct effects on my life to get me looking for information and education on a subject.

I don't assume to have even a working knowledge of what's happening, but that doesn't stop me from making every effort to find out.

thanks, although honestly I just don't know that even educating oneself about it will do anyone any good- I mean, for most people, myself included, the last 8 years have not been easy ones, nor even realistically difficult, they've been out and out retardedly difficult economically-and that's including the 3 or 4 year period at the beginning of the decade when the dotcom bubble was still growing because as soon as it began to show signs of slowdown for those companies- and the companies that did business with them, everything changed drastically- so a bump in pay really wasn't an indicator of what was to come in the future. My entire department was closed down by 2004.

Anyway, what I'm saying is this couldn't happen at a worse time- and I'm not even in much debt compared to a lot of people I know- plus I have great credit, but I think even with those kinds of pluses, it's going to be horribly difficult to get through the next few years and I see no way around it.

See, the thing is - you're right. The only advice I give people is:

1) Try not to lose your job
2) Do NOT spend money on things you don't need

In regards to investments, I believe what most professionals say...if its 10+ years you need the money, stay invested. If you need cash next 3-5 years - be prudent and conservative.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:57 pm 
Unthought Known

$úñ_DëV|L wrote:
Doug RR wrote:
malice wrote:
given2trade wrote:
malice wrote:
given2trade wrote:
Doug RR wrote:

if you would like to stay in my 800 sq ft bathroom when times get tough, just pm me

Pfft, that's the size of my linen closet.

arizona snob :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:12 pm 
alot of $$$

Get this:

This week has had it's biggest drop since 1987 and largest gain since the 1930s...and it's Wednesday.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:18 pm 
Of Counsel

This is a pretty hilarious exchange. It pretty much in line with the discussion I was having with Sun Devil a few days ago about how much fault for teh current mess can be placed with underqualified borrowers, and how much is the result of things like MBSIs and Credit Default Swaps. The scale of the CDS market is what blew my mind in this piece, well, that and the fact that the National Review guy obviously had no idea what a CDS was (and neither did I until I heard that NPR piece last weekend).

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2008/10/ma ... k_but.html

Quote:
M.T.: You don't think the unregulated CDS market was a major factor in the current crisis? Were you watching when AIG almost went under? Were you watching the Lehman collapse?

B.Y.: I think that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were also major factors. And I believe that many of the problems in the mortgage area can be attributed to the confluence of Democratic and Republican priorities: the Democrats' desire to give mortgages to people, particularly minorities, who could not afford them, and the Republicans' desire to achieve an "ownership society," in part by giving mortgages to people who could not afford them. Again, I believe that if you are suggesting that the financial crisis is a Republican creation, or even more specifically a McCain creation, I think you're on pretty shaky ground.

M.T.: Oh, come on. Tell me you're not ashamed to put this gigantic international financial Krakatoa at the feet of a bunch of poor black people who missed their mortgage payments. The CDS market, this market for credit default swaps that was created in 2000 by Phil Gramm's Commodities Future Modernization Act, this is now a $62 trillion market, up from $900 billion in 2000. That's like five times the size of the holdings in the NYSE. And it's all speculation by Wall Street traders. It's a classic bubble/Ponzi scheme. The effort of people like you to pin this whole thing on minorities, when in fact this whole thing has been caused by greedy traders dealing in unregulated markets, is despicable.

B.Y.: I was struck by the recent Senate testimony of James Lockhart, who is head of the Federal Housing Finance Agency, about the sheer recklessness of Fannie in recent years. Despite "repeated warnings about credit risk," Lockhart testified, Fannie became more reckless in 2006 and 2007 than they had been in the scandal-ridden tenure of Franklin Raines (who departed in 2004). In 2005, Lockhart said, 14 percent of Fannie's new business was in risky loans. In the first half of 2007, it was 33 percent. So something terribly wrong was going on there, and it became a significant part of the present problem.

M.T.: What a surprise that you mention Franklin Raines. Do you even know how a CDS works? Can you explain your conception of how these derivatives work? Because I get the feeling you don't understand. Or do you actually think that it was a few tiny homeowner defaults that sank gigantic companies like AIG and Lehman and Bear Stearns? Explain to me how these default swaps work, I'm interested to hear.

Because what we're talking about here is the difference between one homeowner defaulting and forty, four hundred, four thousand traders betting back and forth on the viability of his loan. Which do you think has a bigger effect on the economy?

B.Y.: Are you suggesting that critics of Fannie and Freddie are talking about the default of a single homeowner?

M.T.: No. That is what you call a figure of speech. I'm saying that you're talking about individual homeowners defaulting. But these massive companies aren't going under because of individual homeowner defaults. They're going under because of the myriad derivatives trades that go on in connection with each piece of debt, whether it be a homeowner loan or a corporate bond. I'm still waiting to hear what your idea is of how these trades work. I'm guessing you've never even heard of them.

I mean really. You honestly think a company like AIG tanks because a bunch of minorities couldn't pay off their mortgages?

B.Y.: When you refer to "Phil Gramm's Commodities Future Modernization Act," are you referring to S.3283, co-sponsored by Gramm, along with Senators Tom Harkin and Tim Johnson?

M.T.: In point of fact I'm talking about the 262-page amendment Gramm tacked on to that bill that deregulated the trade of credit default swaps.

Tick tick tick. Hilarious sitting here while you frantically search the Internet to learn about the cause of the financial crisis — in the middle of a live chat interview.

B.Y.: Look, you can keep trying to make this a specifically partisan and specifically Gramm-McCain thing, but it simply isn't. We've gone on for fifteen minutes longer than scheduled, and that's enough. Thanks.

M.T.: Thanks. Note, folks, that the esteemed representative of the New Republic has no idea what the hell a credit default swap is. But he sure knows what a minority homeowner looks like.

B.Y.: It's National Review.

That last line was hilarious. Correcting a misnaming of his magazine was his big gotcha moment.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:27 pm 
Administrator

Interesting there's no mention of monetary policy in there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:38 pm 
Got Some

I feel you too Malice. I don't believe we're headed for another Great Depression but this is my first real recession.
I bought a house in '07. I didn't overbuy, the mortgage is less than 40% of my monthly take home pay and is locked in at 5.85%. Otherwise I don't have any real debt. I have no college loans. I drive an eight year old car that is paid for and runs well; I want to get it through ten years. I have a couple hundred dollars on the credit card (yes, I have just one) that was actually paid off before my refrigerator went kaput last month. It's just me so I don't have a family to support. Outside of my 401k I have a few stocks on my own but nothing significant.
I've always been consertive with my money and I how I spend it. I like to think I will be okay but I have a white collar cubicle job and potientally could be right sized or, God forbid, I have a serious illness or injury.
Thanks by the way to our resident money guys. I've gotten more out of your postings than most of the talking heads on cable.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:46 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

punkdavid wrote:
This is a pretty hilarious exchange. It pretty much in line with the discussion I was having with Sun Devil a few days ago about how much fault for the current mess can be placed with underqualified borrowers, and how much is the result of things like MBSIs and Credit Default Swaps. The scale of the CDS market is what blew my mind in this piece, well, that and the fact that the National Review guy obviously had no idea what a CDS was (and neither did I until I heard that NPR piece last weekend).

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2008/10/ma ... k_but.html

Quote:
M.T.: You don't think the unregulated CDS market was a major factor in the current crisis? Were you watching when AIG almost went under? Were you watching the Lehman collapse?

B.Y.: I think that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were also major factors. And I believe that many of the problems in the mortgage area can be attributed to the confluence of Democratic and Republican priorities: the Democrats' desire to give mortgages to people, particularly minorities, who could not afford them, and the Republicans' desire to achieve an "ownership society," in part by giving mortgages to people who could not afford them. Again, I believe that if you are suggesting that the financial crisis is a Republican creation, or even more specifically a McCain creation, I think you're on pretty shaky ground.

M.T.: Oh, come on. Tell me you're not ashamed to put this gigantic international financial Krakatoa at the feet of a bunch of poor black people who missed their mortgage payments. The CDS market, this market for credit default swaps that was created in 2000 by Phil Gramm's Commodities Future Modernization Act, this is now a $62 trillion market, up from $900 billion in 2000. That's like five times the size of the holdings in the NYSE. And it's all speculation by Wall Street traders. It's a classic bubble/Ponzi scheme. The effort of people like you to pin this whole thing on minorities, when in fact this whole thing has been caused by greedy traders dealing in unregulated markets, is despicable.

B.Y.: I was struck by the recent Senate testimony of James Lockhart, who is head of the Federal Housing Finance Agency, about the sheer recklessness of Fannie in recent years. Despite "repeated warnings about credit risk," Lockhart testified, Fannie became more reckless in 2006 and 2007 than they had been in the scandal-ridden tenure of Franklin Raines (who departed in 2004). In 2005, Lockhart said, 14 percent of Fannie's new business was in risky loans. In the first half of 2007, it was 33 percent. So something terribly wrong was going on there, and it became a significant part of the present problem.

M.T.: What a surprise that you mention Franklin Raines. Do you even know how a CDS works? Can you explain your conception of how these derivatives work? Because I get the feeling you don't understand. Or do you actually think that it was a few tiny homeowner defaults that sank gigantic companies like AIG and Lehman and Bear Stearns? Explain to me how these default swaps work, I'm interested to hear.

Because what we're talking about here is the difference between one homeowner defaulting and forty, four hundred, four thousand traders betting back and forth on the viability of his loan. Which do you think has a bigger effect on the economy?

B.Y.: Are you suggesting that critics of Fannie and Freddie are talking about the default of a single homeowner?

M.T.: No. That is what you call a figure of speech. I'm saying that you're talking about individual homeowners defaulting. But these massive companies aren't going under because of individual homeowner defaults. They're going under because of the myriad derivatives trades that go on in connection with each piece of debt, whether it be a homeowner loan or a corporate bond. I'm still waiting to hear what your idea is of how these trades work. I'm guessing you've never even heard of them.

I mean really. You honestly think a company like AIG tanks because a bunch of minorities couldn't pay off their mortgages?

B.Y.: When you refer to "Phil Gramm's Commodities Future Modernization Act," are you referring to S.3283, co-sponsored by Gramm, along with Senators Tom Harkin and Tim Johnson?

M.T.: In point of fact I'm talking about the 262-page amendment Gramm tacked on to that bill that deregulated the trade of credit default swaps.

Tick tick tick. Hilarious sitting here while you frantically search the Internet to learn about the cause of the financial crisis — in the middle of a live chat interview.

B.Y.: Look, you can keep trying to make this a specifically partisan and specifically Gramm-McCain thing, but it simply isn't. We've gone on for fifteen minutes longer than scheduled, and that's enough. Thanks.

M.T.: Thanks. Note, folks, that the esteemed representative of the New Republic has no idea what the hell a credit default swap is. But he sure knows what a minority homeowner looks like.

B.Y.: It's National Review.

That last line was hilarious. Correcting a misnaming of his magazine was his big gotcha moment.

Taibbi once again makes it look so easy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:49 pm 
Of Counsel

$úñ_DëV|L wrote:
Interesting there's no mention of monetary policy in there.

The NRO guy probably didn't understand that either.

It wasn't supposed to be a complete explanation of teh crisis. It was a live chat. They just didn't get to that. I think that monetary policy is probably one thing that just about everyone can recognize was a large factor.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:50 pm 
statistically insignificant

i wish there were about 28 hours in the day so that i could reply to a lot of the posts on this thread. but there aren't. so here are my abbreviated thoughts:

-the treasury, as a function of its operations, has no capital. it is very much a hand-to-mouth department. the Fed is lending the treasury the capital. backing the loan is the taxing power of the U.S. government. the national debt increases by $250 billion for starters, although it may not be counted as such. if the Fed does not offset this by selling debt, the banks' reserves will jump this enormous amount (and the monetary base of which it is a component.) the percentage increase in the base over the past 10 months is 14%, already highly inflationary. if this $250 billion goes into it without the Fed taking some steps to contract reserves in some other way, and I don't know what steps it could take other than selling some other of its debt assets, that will add almost another 30%. we are on the precipice of hyperinflation. the government can avert it by (a) issuing bonds, (b) raising taxes, and (c) cutting other programs, and then paying off the Fed. none of these steps, however, are politically popular. U.S. government bonds are definitely not a good investment. that market will sell off and yields will rise. this will pressure stocks even more. we are looking at very bad markets and at a deep depression. "very bad" means a stock market decline of possibly 75% from its highest levels.

-there is still much left to unwind. a comparison between debt levels now and debt levels in the 30s is disturbing. check the chart below. the most recent flow of funds data shows that total credit market debt is $51 trillion versus our $14.3 trillion GDP. debt as a percentage of GDP is now 356% versus 260% during the depression. this massive buildup of leverage has just begun to unwind. if this is just the beginning of the great leverage unwind, then the pain will be tremendous when it really gets going. attempts to prop up the prices of debt-backed assets (such as the measures taken in the last month by central banks across the globe) will fail. what's more, these measures are being financed by...wait for it...debt. worldwide government's unwillingness to allow the value of credit and assets to return to their true market value is making things much, much worse.

-in a nutshell, much of the prosperity of the last twenty to thirty years has been financed by credit, and the bill has finally come due. politicians are doing everything in their power (read: throw money at it) to stave off the collection agency, if you will. but, like gravity, the market always wins. ALWAYS.

given2trade wrote:
See, the thing is - you're right. The only advice I give people is:

1) Try not to lose your job
2) Do NOT spend money on things you don't need

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:57 pm 

lord vedder wrote:
I feel you too Malice. I don't believe we're headed for another Great Depression but this is my first real recession.
I bought a house in '07. I didn't overbuy, the mortgage is less than 40% of my monthly take home pay and is locked in at 5.85%. Otherwise I don't have any real debt. I have no college loans. I drive an eight year old car that is paid for and runs well; I want to get it through ten years. I have a couple hundred dollars on the credit card (yes, I have just one) that was actually paid off before my refrigerator went kaput last month. It's just me so I don't have a family to support. Outside of my 401k I have a few stocks on my own but nothing significant.
I've always been consertive with my money and I how I spend it. I like to think I will be okay but I have a white collar cubicle job and potientally could be right sized or, God forbid, I have a serious illness or injury.
Thanks by the way to our resident money guys. I've gotten more out of your postings than most of the talking heads on cable.

bear in mind i'm not a financial adviser, but IMO, you're in good shape.

the only thing missing from your portfolio, again in IMO, is sufficient ammo and MREs. and don't worry, squirrel is an acquired taste.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:01 pm 
Administrator

thodoks wrote:
lord vedder wrote:

bear in mind i'm not a financial adviser, but IMO, you're in good shape.

the only thing missing from your portfolio, again in IMO, is sufficient ammo and MREs. and don't worry, squirrel is an acquired taste.

Yeah, I'd say I'm in the same boat. I'm thinking I should use the weekend to stock up on clean water, dry food, and munitions.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:08 pm 
See you in another life, brother

$úñ_DëV|L wrote:
Yeah, I'd say I'm in the same boat. I'm thinking I should use the weekend to stock up on clean water, dry food, and munitions.

What about building materials for your underground bunker?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:08 pm 

g2t, are you on here?

http://brokershandsontheirfacesblog.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:10 pm 

aprilfifth wrote:
$úñ_DëV|L wrote:

What about building materials for your underground bunker?

screw that. lysander and i are fast friends, and that mofo has a tank. and the lysanderdome. low friends, high places. ya heard?

ALL YOUR KRUGERRANDS ARE BELONG TO US!!1!11!!!!1!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:11 pm 
See you in another life, brother

thodoks wrote:

:lol:

That's friggin hilarious. Sadly, I can empathize. On a much smaller scale, of course. But it still made me want to hit the bottle. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:12 pm 
The Maleficent
 WWW  Profile

Doug RR wrote:
malice wrote:
given2trade wrote:
malice wrote:
given2trade wrote:
Doug RR wrote:

You're part of the problem, Doug. And I saw how much money you said you lost before you removed the post, the last dive the stock market took. The problem with rich people is they bitch and moan over this kind of shit yet support policy and practices that have engendered this kind of crisis.
I hope you still have that 800 square foot bathroom in a couple six months or so because at this point you're just as likely to end up on the street as me before this is over.
Feel free to PM me if you need some tips on how to make ends meet when that happens, because of the two of us, at least I already have experience in it, no thanks to you and yours.

you are the human wyoming

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:17 pm 

malice wrote:
You're part of the problem, Doug. And I saw how much money you said you lost before you removed the post, the last dive the stock market took. The problem with rich people is they bitch and moan over this kind of shit yet support policy and practices that have engendered this kind of crisis.
I hope you still have that 800 square foot bathroom in a couple six months or so because at this point you're just as likely to end up on the street as me before this is over.
Feel free to PM me if you need some tips on how to make ends meet when that happens, because of the two of us, at least I already have experience in it, no thanks to you and yours.

Gallows humor (n) - a type of humor that arises from stressful, traumatic or life-threatening situations such as wartime events, hostilities, and/or mass murder. Occurs often in circumstances where death is perceived as impending and unavoidable.

lighten up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:19 pm 
alot of $$$

thodoks wrote:

haha.

True story: I worked on the floor of the NYSE for 8 weeks in 2001. Was one of the worst 8 weeks of my professional career. They people down there used to be:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:20 pm 
The Maleficent
 WWW  Profile

thodoks wrote:
malice wrote:

Gallows humor (n) - a type of humor that arises from stressful, traumatic or life-threatening situations such as wartime events, hostilities, and/or mass murder. Occurs often in circumstances where death is perceived as impending and unavoidable. It is similar to black comedy but differs in that it is made by the person affected.

lighten up.

I'm quite happy, thanks. He's an arrogant snob and has been for as long as I can remember, going back to 2003 on synergy.

He wants to play, I'm playing.

you are the human wyoming

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8610 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 431  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate