Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1457 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 73  Next
 Post subject: OFFICIAL: TEN deluxe/legacy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:18 pm 
Force of Nature

Previews(added by Garden of Stone)

http://www.rollingstone.com/blogs/smoki ... tracks.php

https://www.pearljam.com/news/pearl-jam ... -album-ten

PEARL JAM ANNOUNCES THE REISSUE OF BAND’S DEBUT ALBUM, TEN

PEARL JAM ANNOUNCES THE REISSUE OF BAND’S DEBUT ALBUM, TEN:
FOUR SPECIAL EDITION PACKAGES IN STORES MARCH 24, 2009
TEN CLUB PRE-SALE OF SUPER DELUXE BOX SET BEGINS NOW

Album extras include:
Remaster of original Ten album + remix by producer Brendan O’Brien •
DVD of previously unreleased 1992 Pearl Jam MTV Unplugged performance with 5.1 surround sound audio remix • LP of the band’s 1992 “Drop in the Park” concert • Replica of Pearl Jam three-song demo cassette with Eddie Vedder’s original vocal dubs • Recreation of Eddie Vedder composition notebook • Never before seen memorabilia • Bonus tracks and more.

Ten, the debut album that sold 12 million copies and introduced the world to Pearl Jam in 1991, will be reissued in four (4) new and expanded editions. Pre-orders of the Super Deluxe Edition begin today, through the Ten Club at PearlJam.com. All four editions will be available for purchase on March 24, 2009. The reissue of Ten serves as the launch of a planned two-year catalogue re-release campaign leading up to the band’s 20th anniversary in 2011.

Each Ten package will include two versions of the album: the remastered version of the original album PLUS an accompanying remixed version done by the band’s long-time producer, Brendan O’Brien (Bruce Springsteen, AC/DC, Audioslave). Details on specific extras for each of the four packages are listed below.

“The band loved the original mix of Ten, but were also interested in what it would sound like if I were to deconstruct and remix it,” says producer Brendan O’Brien. “The original Ten sound is what millions of people bought, dug and loved, so I was initially hesitant to mess around with that. After years of persistent nudging from the band, I was able to wrap my head around the idea of offering it as a companion piece to the original – giving a fresh take on it, a more direct sound.”

TEN RE-DESIGN
Pearl Jam bassist Jeff Ament, who served as the art director for the original Ten packaging, reprised his role for the reissues collaborating with designer, Andy Fischer, of Cameron Crowe’s Vinyl Films (Into the Wild soundtrack LP, Vanilla Sky soundtrack LP, Harold and Maude anniversary edition soundtrack LP).

"The goal was to assemble the ultimate fan-piece,” explains Fischer. “Something Pearl Jam lovers could pore over as they experience an indelible record all over again, in an entirely new way."

“The original concept was about really being together as a group and entering into the world of music as a true band...a sort of all-for-one deal,” says Jeff Ament. “There were some elements of the original Ten artwork that didn't turn out the way we had hoped, due to time constraints. With this reissue, we’ve been able to take our time and invest resources into making the design the way we had originally intended.”

REPLICA OF PEARL JAM 3-SONG DEMO CASSETTE IN SUPER DELUXE EDITION
In the process of digging through his archives for this project, Ament came across an old cassette marked “Momma-Son” – the fabled original Pearl Jam demo tape featuring the first recorded versions of “Alive,” “Once” and “Footsteps.” Ament and guitarists Stone Gossard and Mike McCready had recorded instrumental tracks of these songs to help solicit a singer for their newly formed band. Mutual friend - and then Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer - Jack Irons suggested they send the tape down to San Diego surfer and little-known singer Eddie Vedder.

Completely inspired by what he heard from these musicians that he then only knew by name, Vedder quickly wrote lyrics, put these vocals to the music tracks and shipped the tape back to Seattle. Upon hearing how Vedder had transformed the songs, Ament, Gossard and McCready asked him to come up to Seattle so they could meet and have an official “tryout” together. Shortly thereafter, Pearl Jam was born. (A replica of the “Momma-Son” cassette will be included in the Super Deluxe Edition of Ten.)

Jeff Ament describes the experience of re-visiting that tape with singer Eddie Vedder:
“I think the first time that Ed or I had opened any of those boxes was a few weeks ago. I knew that the original ‘Momma-Son’ cassette was somewhere, but I hadn’t listened to it in 17, 18, 19 years. It was cool to sit down and play it for the first time with Ed and see his reaction. And to find that 90% of it stayed exactly the same as what ended up on the record. A lot of elements were identical. There was some energy flying around at that point even from 1,300 miles away from Seattle to San Diego.”

THE FOUR EDITIONS OF TEN: ALBUM EXTRAS PER PACKAGE

1. Legacy Edition (2-disc set in mini-LP style slipcase):
· Disc 1: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered (original mix)
· Disc 2: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered and remixed by Brendan O’Brien, plus six bonus tracks: “Brother,” “Just a Girl,” “State of Love and Trust,” “Breath and a Scream,” “2,000 Mile Blues” and “Evil Little Goat”
· Re-designed packaging

2. Deluxe Edition (2-disc set plus DVD specially designed hardbound package):
· Disc 2: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered and remixed by Brendan O’Brien, plus six bonus tracks: “Brother,” “Just a Girl,” “State of Love and Trust,” “Breath and a Scream,” “2,000 Mile Blues” and “Evil Little Goat”
· DVD of Pearl Jam’s previously unreleased 1992 MTV Unplugged performance including never before seen bonus performance of “Oceans” with 5.1 surround sound audio remix

3. Vinyl Collection (2-LP set)
· LP 1: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl
· LP 2: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl and remixed by Brendan O’Brien

4. Super Deluxe Edition (2-disc set plus DVD, 4 LPs and replica cassette in linen-covered, slip-cased clamshell box):
· DVD of Pearl Jam’s previously unreleased 1992 MTV Unplugged performance including never before seen bonus performance of “Oceans” with 5.1 surround sound audio remix
· LP 1: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl
· LP 2: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl and remixed by Brendan O’Brien
· LP 3 & 4: Drop in the Park – Live at Magnuson Park in Seattle on September 20, 1992 (audio mixed by Brendan O’Brien)
· Cassette: replica of original “Momma-Son” Pearl Jam demo cassette featuring “Alive,” “Once” and “Footsteps”
· Package also includes an Eddie Vedder-style composition notebook filled with replica personal notes, images and mementos from the collections of Eddie Vedder and Jeff Ament, a vellum envelope with replicated era-specific ephemera from Pearl Jam’s early work and a two-sided print commemorating the Drop in the Park concert.

Het nederlandstalige Pearl Jam forum:

http://www.pearljamonline.nl

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited by joostone on Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: TEN deluxe/legacy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:31 pm 
Master of Meh

Interesting that this thing has reared its head again, I thought it was a goner once EzyDVD deleted it from their website.

23rd March '09 is the new release date, didn't 10C mention the next newsletter would be a Ten retrospective? I'm betting it'll be a 20-page glossy advertisement for this thing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:46 pm 
Winner: 2007+2009 Other Bands Cover Contest

If it has '91 era Eddie vocals I'm down.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:03 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

spenno wrote:
Interesting that this thing has reared its head again, I thought it was a goner once EzyDVD deleted it from their website.

23rd March '09 is the new release date, didn't 10C mention the next newsletter would be a Ten retrospective? I'm betting it'll be a 20-page glossy advertisement for this thing.

not much money to win in betting on that, odds are overwhelming :roll:

but £99.99 for the deluxe :shock:
they really are taking the piss!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:17 pm 
Force of Nature

It this set has 2008 live recordings of TEN songs as extra CD or the DVD, that would be LAME !!!!!!!!!

Disc 1: (original TEN + original B-sides as remixed by Brendan O'brien)
01 "Once"
02 "Even Flow"
03 "Alive"
04 "Why Go"
05 "Black"
06 "Jeremy"
07 "Oceans"
08 "Porch"
09 "Garden"
10 "Deep"
11 "Release"

12 ''Wash''
13 ''Dirty Frank''
14 ''Footsteps''
15 ''Yellow Ledbetter''

Disc 2: (Mamasan demos, instrumentals, outtakes/rough mixes)
01 ''Once'' (mamasan)
02 ''Alive'' (mamasan)
03 ''Footsteps'' (mamasan)
04 ''Fold D'' (gossmann instrumental)
05 ''Untitled (gosmann instrumental)
06 ''the King (gosmann instrumental)
07 ''Just A Girl'' (as on rarities cut)
08 ''Brother'' (rough mix)
09 ''Alone'' (rough mix)
10 ''Hold On'' (as on rarities cut)
11 ''Breath (rough mix)
12 ''Wishing Well'' (as on rarities cut)
13 ''I've got a Feeling'' (alive promo)

or something like that ;)

Seriously, I would be very disappointed if not something like that.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:29 pm 
Master of Meh

It would surely have to have all that stuff on there, I hope there's at least SOMETHING previously unheard too - even if just an alternate take or rehearsal version of something.

I'm absolutely positive this thing will be borderline unlistenable, like the S/T record and the greatest hits; brickwall-limited to within an inch of its life during the mastering. It's a shame, I think I'll definitely stick to my original Ten CD for listening to the original album.

I really hope the DVD is archival footage from the Ten tour too, it's absolutely pointless if it's 2008 footage. They really should include the Alive, Even Flow, Jeremy and Oceans videos (both versions of Even Flow and Jeremy, preferably) - this is the perfect opportunity to get them out there.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:39 pm 
Force of Nature

Yes, I they don't release TEN era stuff on this DVD it will suck.

The 'alive/evenflow/jeremy/oceans vid will be great on that, and maybe some BBC/SNL/MT unplugged/MTV awards footage or some unreleased stuff.

Just no live recordings, just a nice update on the original with some original demos and outtakes.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:12 pm 
Mike's Maniac

all those years of dodging the spotlight and not caring about album sales finally paid off, huh.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:51 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

PeopleMyAge wrote:
all those years of dodging the spotlight and not caring about album sales finally paid off, huh.

:haha:

This seems to be from Sony Legacy's "Legacy Edition" series. A lot of records on Sony have been reissued that way. Mostly in the 2 Cd format as far as i know but there are cd/dvd packages too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:56 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

From the various Legacy reissues I have (Johnny Cash, Miles Davis, etc.), they seem to do a pretty good job with them. I'm looking forward to this. I'm curious what input, if any, the band will have on it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:42 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

AndySlash wrote:
From the various Legacy reissues I have (Johnny Cash, Miles Davis, etc.), they seem to do a pretty good job with them. I'm looking forward to this. I'm curious what input, if any, the band will have on it.

As far as i know the bands (or their estates) are pretty involved in this reissues.
This is addressed in the latest 10C e-mail btw.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:50 pm 
Unthought Known

I'm somewhat excited and slightly weirded out by this. I think a Ten remix would be awesome. It'd definitely renew my love of that record, but when you see the re-releasing of older material... :?

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:05 am 
Master of Meh

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
I'm somewhat excited and slightly weirded out by this. I think a Ten remix would be awesome. It'd definitely renew my love of that record, but when you see the re-releasing of older material... :?

I'd say the band had little say in it, Sony would probably release it with or without their involvement.

A guy on the Message Pit says his Sony source tells him similar Legacy/Deluxe Edition's will also be released for Vs and Vitalogy by the end of next year. Interesting to see if that happens.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:26 am 
Force of Nature

spenno wrote:
Riot Actor 25 wrote:

I'd say the band had little say in it, Sony would probably release it with or without their involvement.

A guy on the Message Pit says his Sony source tells him similar Legacy/Deluxe Edition's will also be released for Vs and Vitalogy by the end of next year. Interesting to see if that happens.

I think somehow Sony has the rights to just do this, with or without the help of the band. Hopefully it will be with, cause I'm not the happy with REM deluxe Murmurs that is coming. (according to some REM is not very happy about it)

Humm, I think the band always said that they we're not happy with the production on TEN, so this is the chance to do this right / better.

So I would love to see an remastered TEN, with some b-sides and outtakes (girl and brother!). But I don't think there's are many outtakes for VS. (Alone (go single), Crazy Mary, Real Thing, Hard to Imagine) and Vitalogy (again Hard to Imagine) and I really think that live stuff is lame as extra stuff.

I really hope the band is involved and they let it be inspired once again by the Who who released MY GENERATION as a deluxe set not so long ago. It was remastered in a very good way, it had all the b-sides and some outtakes that no-one has ever heard before.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:01 pm 
Master of Meh

In a way, I think I'd prefer the band not be involved. It's often a big mistake for artists to be involved in their own archival releases, they have a tendency to want to re-write history (see the re-recorded vocals on Lost Dogs) or just pretend somethings never happened (Girl, Brother with lyrics, Puzzles & Games) when compiling things like this.

Lost Dogs suffered from this a LOT - had the record company made it, I'm sure they'd scrape the bottom of the goddamn barrel for whatever they could find. The band are much more selective and I think often make their decisions based on what they feel comfortable with rather than what the fans might want to hear: "Brother's lyrics embarrass Ed? Just delete 'em!".

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:31 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

You're wrong. Recording companies do whatever is cheaper for them. Re-recording vocals is not cheaper. If Sony/BMG alone did this you would have 10 with the b-sides and bonuses from various versions of the album and a handfull of unreleased material(probably live)-maybe.
A couple of years back in the 1st "Legacy Edition" series Sony released Janis Joplin's Pearl but the original intended track list didn't have anything that wasn't released before besides i think 1 alternative take - over 2 discs. Fans were very disappointed by it and than the release date was postponed for a few months and the track list improved.

By the rule record companies, especially Sony/BMG, will do the least possible to get something out with a new package.
And yeah over compression is likely going to happen unless the band picks a producer that will not do that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:43 pm 
Master of Meh

Mine wrote:
You're wrong. Recording companies do whatever is cheaper for them. Re-recording vocals is not cheaper. If Sony/BMG alone did this you would have 10 with the b-sides and bonuses from various versions of the album and a handfull of unreleased material(probably live)-maybe.

That's what I think we'll get anyway...

The fact that Sony had placed songs like Brother, Just A Girl and the original version of Alone on that "Rarities & Unreleased Cuts" promo CD confirms that they're well aware of what they're sitting on - the story, as I remember, was that this CD (and others like it) were created to give to the band to pick which songs they wanted included on Lost Dogs.

I think the record company will put on whatever makes them the most MONEY. Re-recording vocals is more expensive, you're right, and this just proves my point; had the record company made Lost Dogs, I'm sure we would have the original versions of Hold On and Brother.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:18 am 
Force of Nature

spenno wrote:
Mine wrote:

That's what I think we'll get anyway...

The fact that Sony had placed songs like Brother, Just A Girl and the original version of Alone on that "Rarities & Unreleased Cuts" promo CD confirms that they're well aware of what they're sitting on - the story, as I remember, was that this CD (and others like it) were created to give to the band to pick which songs they wanted included on Lost Dogs.

I think the record company will put on whatever makes them the most MONEY. Re-recording vocals is more expensive, you're right, and this just proves my point; had the record company made Lost Dogs, I'm sure we would have the original versions of Hold On and Brother.

I agree with you on that. But involvement from the band can also be a very good thing. Look at 'my generation' from the Who, this was never properly remasterd for cd, it was released with different tracklistings in the UK and US. There were some singles that were not on the record, there were some rare stereo mixes. And pete had a couple tracks in his vault. They did all this and created an amazing set. Disc 1 had all the original tracks, the US and UK ones, but remastered in a very good way. The extras on disc one were the singles that were not on the record, a song like 'I cant explain'. Disc 2 had lots of outtakes, bsides, remixes and even songs that were never released.
Hopefully this release will be inspired by that one, all the original tracks and b-sides on disc 1 but remastered. And all the outtakes/rough mixes on disc 2, I really want to hear a definitive mix of brother and girl.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:53 am 
Master of Meh

That My Generation reissue is brilliant, I've got it. I can only hope we'll get something on par with that.

One thing I'd kill to hear would be some soundboard recordings from Dave Krusen's time in the band, as far as I recall none have ever surfaced.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:36 am 
Force of Nature

spenno wrote:
That My Generation reissue is brilliant, I've got it. I can only hope we'll get something on par with that.

One thing I'd kill to hear would be some soundboard recordings from Dave Krusen's time in the band, as far as I recall none have ever surfaced.

that would be sweet, but I don't think there are any. I've read somewhere that they started recording shows on the vs tour. Like that one Vegas show or some Vs b-sides. I don't think the band recorded any shows in 91/92.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1457 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 73  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam