Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3453 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 173  Next
 Post subject: Pearl Jam Twenty, Cameron Crowe Documentary (2011)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:22 pm 
a saucerful of secrets

Quote:
In celebration of their 20th Anniversary, Pearl Jam will debut Pearl Jam Twenty, a definitive portrait of the band as told by Academy Award®-winning filmmaker and music journalist, Cameron Crowe, at the 2011 Toronto International Film Festival on Saturday September 10, 2011. Information on purchasing tickets, dates and times for the world premiere of Pearl Jam Twenty at the Toronto International Film festival, as well as two additional festival screenings of the film can be found at http://www.tiff.net.

Pearl Jam is set to release the documentary Pearl Jam Twenty worldwide on September 20th in select theaters for one night only, with a full week run of the film beginning Friday, September 23rd in key markets. The film will be shown at the highest caliber of theaters in select cities in the U.S. and internationally. For the latest update of theaters and cities showing Pearl Jam Twenty, visit http://www.PJ20.com.

In keeping with this unique theatrical release in select cities and theaters in September, Pearl Jam Twenty will then roll out in an accelerated fashion with the film’s U.S. television premiere Friday, October 21st at 9 p.m. (ET/PT), as part of the prestigious PBS “American Masters” series, airing during the first-ever PBS Arts Fall Festival. Following, the DVD of the film will be released worldwide by Columbia Records/Sony Music Entertainment October 25, 2011. Pearl Jam Twenty will also be available on Movies On Demand timed to the theatrical release.

http://www.pearljam.com/news/pearl-jam- ... m-festival

Official Page: http://www.pj20.com/

============ ORIGINAL POST ========================

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/04/15/pe ... y-feature/

We’ve seen a lot of bands get the bigscreen treatment over the last few years, including the Rolling Stones, Metallica, U2, CSNY, the Jonas Brothers and most recently, Anvil. Now, it seems Pearl Jam is ready for its close-up, courtesy of director Cameron Crowe.

The “Almost Famous” filmmaker and former boy wonder reporter for Rolling Stone is prepping a documentary that will chronicle Pearl Jam’s 20 years as a band in 2011.

Guitarist Mike McCready told Seattle’s “Ron & Don Show” that the group is “trying to do a movie with Cameron Crowe with all of our existing footage.” The plan is for the film to consist of existing concert, backstage and studio footage.

While his music credentials speak for themselves, Crowe would seem to be the perfect fit to direct a Pearl Jam doc having previously worked with them on “Singles,” which included two Pearl Jam songs on its soundtrack and featured Eddie Vedder, Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard as members of the fictional band Citizen Dick.

Crowe’s record label Vinyl Films recently helped the band repackage the reissues for its debut album “Ten,” and Crowe also exec produced “Pearl Jam: Single Video Theory,” a short making-of documentary about the group’s 1998 LP “Yield.”

Pearl Jam is pretty much the Last Band Standing from the heyday of the Seattle grunge scene (R.I.P. Nirvana and Soundgarden), so an in-depth look at the quintet is long overdue.

The band, which has sold an estimated 60 million records worldwide, will self-release its ninth album before the end of the year.

You talkin to me?

Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam taps Cameron Crowe for documentary feature.....
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:33 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

i am really excited for this but i really hope they spend as much time on post 2000 pearl jam as they do on 1992 pearl jam. or at least not re tread over everything up to 1995 and quickly skim over everything else.

but i suppose most people dont care about anything post 95.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:37 pm 
Unthought Known

This is going be soooo good. :D

"Remember back the early days when you were young and thus amazed."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:42 am 
Global Moderator

how have similar documentaries been filmed? Every band has its glory days. The fact that Crowe is a big fan means he's not likely to just totally paper over the post 1995 era

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:45 am 
Cameron's Stallion
 WWW  Profile

62strat wrote:

I do!
The thing I want to see most is some Binaural studio footage. :li:

13/11/06 Melbourne, 20/11/09 Melbourne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:08 am 
Supersonic

$20 on the "mostly about the first three records" theory. Hope not....I'm sure it'd be appreciated plenty, but it'd be awesome if it had something I could enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:22 am 
Red Mosquito

Riot Actor 25 wrote:
This is going be soooo good. :D

yep! yep! yep! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:24 am 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:09 am 
Banned from the Pit

Dude, Cameron Crowe is obviously a true fan of not only pearl jam, but of Rock n' Roll in general. "Almost Famous", "Single", just those soundtracks alone really feel like those era's everytime i hear them. He's going to ultimately end up probably doing the same on era's and years of the band, and you know that they will open the Film archives for this one. That's the thing I'm most excited about.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:42 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I have the same worries about the 'first three albums theory'. I am really interested to see how they show the Roskilde and 9/11 eras. This is going to be good.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:14 am 
Force of Nature

62strat wrote:
i am really excited for this but i really hope they spend as much time on post 2000 pearl jam as they do on 1992 pearl jam. or at least not re tread over everything up to 1995 and quickly skim over everything else.

Agreed. Would like to read an in depth Pearl Jam book that didn't end with No Code as well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:01 pm 
Force of Nature

As if Crowe would paper over post '95 and it's not likely PJ would put out a production that did so. I don't think there's anything to be worried about.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:31 pm 
Supersonic

I'll be interested to see if this movie covers the band's more personal side and tells a more intimate story, or whether it's just a documentary that focuses on the music. If the former, I'm not sure that there's a lot to cover in depth post 2000 (Roskilde) that would appeal to anyone outside of the die-hard Pearl Jam circle. After all, all of the juicy stuff happened pre-2000. There's a story to be told about the formation of the band, how the band shunned success, how the band dealt with both external and internal strife (almost causing it to break up), and how the band overcame all of the adversity to remain one of the best, most prolific, well-known bands in American history. And all of that, if wrapped up in a neat little package, will have to be told at the expense of some more contemporary things.

I'm all for including everything in the band's 20-year history, but I also accept that some things will have to be sacrificed to emphasize other things (unless, of course, they're planning a 4-hour movie).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:33 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

last|soldier wrote:
As if Crowe would paper over post '95 and it's not likely PJ would put out a production that did so. I don't think there's anything to be worried about.

The point really is the band doesn't have to think they have the same fan base they had in 1995 when thinking about what the fan base would like.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:17 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

i have no expectations, other than i'm pretty sure it'll be good. i don't care what's in it, it'll be good.

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

Proud member of: Team Binaural and Team Argo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:20 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Quote:
We’ve seen a lot of bands get the bigscreen treatment over the last few years, including the Rolling Stones, Metallica, U2, CSNY, the Jonas Brothers and most recently, Anvil.

One of these things is not like the others :shock:

But, it will be cool to see a full fledged bio-pic. I've always enjoyed SVT immensely

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:31 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

the only thing, well other thing, im skeptical about is the "existing" footage.

Id like some spliced in new interviews. cameron crowe really getting at the heart of the band....asking the right questions....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:19 am 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

I look at Tom Petty and The Heartbreaker's recent Running Down a Dream film as a great template.

The only thing that bummed me about that film was not including mention or anything with the She's the One soundtrack. I thought Tom and The Heartbreaker's did a great job on that album.

Post subject: Cameron Crowe Documentary (2011)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:42 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

Just a mention by Mike:

Quote:
Director Cameron Crowe has begun work on a Pearl Jam movie, tentatively set for release in 2011 to coincide with the band’s 20th anniversary celebrations.

“We have thousands of hours of footage of ourselves, going back maybe even to our first show,” says McCready. “We’ve known Cameron forever and we just trust him. He’s a rocker. He was on the road with Zeppelin. We hope to put up a cool movie of our highlights and lowlights.”

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news ... ll-record/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:52 pm 
Coast to Coast

last|soldier wrote:

Well, Immagine was first three records + Avocado, really.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3453 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 173  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam