Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post subject: I love the Astros, but....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:55 pm 
Got Some

I'm afraid we won't see a run like this again in the near future, at least not unless management loosens the purse strings. Baggy is my favorite player ever, followed closely by Biggio. Neither have alot of life left in them, and I fully expect, as much as it hurts, to see Baggy DH'ing in the American League in the near future. Beltran is gone, we can't afford him, the Rocket, probably won't make another run with the 'stros if the team loses too many good players. Kent has talked about retiring after this season. Will Pettite be the player he was for the Yankees, or did we miss his window of opportunity in these playoffs? Lots of questions, but it doesn't look good for next season. Please prove me wrong Drayton.
Baseball is over for me for this year.

Post subject: Re: I love the Astros, but....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:33 pm 
Camden Crew

jayscott_ wrote:
I'm afraid we won't see a run like this again in the near future, at least not unless management loosens the purse strings. Baggy is my favorite player ever, followed closely by Biggio. Neither have alot of life left in them, and I fully expect, as much as it hurts, to see Baggy DH'ing in the American League in the near future. Beltran is gone, we can't afford him, the Rocket, probably won't make another run with the 'stros if the team loses too many good players. Kent has talked about retiring after this season. Will Pettite be the player he was for the Yankees, or did we miss his window of opportunity in these playoffs? Lots of questions, but it doesn't look good for next season. Please prove me wrong Drayton.

it sucks when your team is in this situation....Clemens I would think is a loc kto come back. They let him show up to the games only when he pitches and he can do whatever he wishes....Pettite should return healthy too.

Are Bagwell and Biggio FA's? I always loved Biggio, wish he was a dodger in his prime. Maybe being one game away from a WS is enough to convince these guys to go one more round. As for Beltran, if he doesnt take the zillions from Steinbrenner, I think hed come back too. But he is a Boras baby, like my Beltre, and Boras is a fucking scum sucking satan.

Gotta respect the Stros, it was a good ride for them. Maybe 2005 can find a Dodgers/Astros NLCS!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:43 pm 
Unthought Known

PJguy23 wrote:
jayscott_ wrote:

it sucks when your team is in this situation....Clemens I would think is a loc kto come back. They let him show up to the games only when he pitches and he can do whatever he wishes....Pettite should return healthy too.

Are Bagwell and Biggio FA's? I always loved Biggio, wish he was a dodger in his prime. Maybe being one game away from a WS is enough to convince these guys to go one more round. As for Beltran, if he doesnt take the zillions from Steinbrenner, I think hed come back too. But he is a Boras baby, like my Beltre, and Boras is a fucking scum sucking satan.

Gotta respect the Stros, it was a good ride for them. Maybe 2005 can find a Dodgers/Astros NLCS!

no way beltran comes back... he smelt it, and now he wants to go where he can win it... no offense houston fans, but that place is yankee stadium... clemens should give it another go, and bagwell, biggio, and berkman definitely have another year in them... you dont drop off from nlcs game 7 to nothing... not with those vets you dont...

problem?... the cubs are going to be tough next year, the cards will be back with or without renterria (hopefully without morris), and that's just the central division

looks like next year the three best may all be in teh same division... definitely a possibility

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:36 pm 
Got Some

pearljamminagain wrote:
PJguy23 wrote:
jayscott_ wrote:

no way beltran comes back... he smelt it, and now he wants to go where he can win it... no offense houston fans, but that place is yankee stadium... clemens should give it another go, and bagwell, biggio, and berkman definitely have another year in them... you dont drop off from nlcs game 7 to nothing... not with those vets you dont...

problem?... the cubs are going to be tough next year, the cards will be back with or without renterria (hopefully without morris), and that's just the central division

looks like next year the three best may all be in teh same division... definitely a possibility

actually, in the days of free agency, its not that odd to drop off from NLCS to nothing.
What you've said is very comforting, I just wish it wasn't so incredibly wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:51 pm 
Camden Crew

and maybe someday the Yankees will realize that All Star teams DONT WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS

did the Yanks? NO
did the Lakers? NO

you can get all the Beltrans and Randy Johnsons out there, but unless all those egos are put aside to form a TEAM, like the Sox have, like LA had, like the Astros have....then the yanks wont win next year either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:55 pm 
Got Some

PJguy23 wrote:
and maybe someday the Yankees will realize that All Star teams DONT WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS

did the Yanks? NO
did the Lakers? NO

you can get all the Beltrans and Randy Johnsons out there, but unless all those egos are put aside to form a TEAM, like the Sox have, like LA had, like the Astros have....then the yanks wont win next year either.

The Yankees actually do win quite a few titles, as did the lakers. And its not like the sox didn't open up the checkbook either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:58 pm 
Camden Crew

jayscott_ wrote:
PJguy23 wrote:

did the Yanks? NO
did the Lakers? NO

The Yankees actually do win quite a few titles, as did the lakers. And its not like the sox didn't open up the checkbook either.

Im talking about the 2004 versions of both teams. Both went out and got almost every top of the lsit FA available and still didnt win anything.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:07 pm 
Unthought Known

jayscott_ wrote:
pearljamminagain wrote:
PJguy23 wrote:
jayscott_ wrote:

actually, in the days of free agency, its not that odd to drop off from NLCS to nothing.

well... you might be proven wrong (i know you want to be)... veterans have a lot of fight... and how much do you really think biggio and bagwell will drop off?... we'll see in '05

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:21 pm 
Got Some

pearljamminagain wrote:
jayscott_ wrote:
pearljamminagain wrote:
PJguy23 wrote:
jayscott_ wrote:

well... you might be proven wrong (i know you want to be)... veterans have a lot of fight... and how much do you really think biggio and bagwell will drop off?... we'll see in '05

I understand what you're saying, but Bagwell and Biggio weren't as huge a reason they were in this position this year as I wish they were. Beltran really revitalized that order when he arrived, he picked them up. They are still good players, and I hope they are Astros their entire career, but they just aren't marquee guys, talent wise, anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:17 am 
Johnny Guitar

PJguy23 wrote:
I always loved Biggio, wish he was a dodger in his prime.

Ditto, I used to trade always trade for him in Ken Griffey Baseball...

You can't deny the run the 'stros had though. They did fucking awesome to get to where they got.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:05 am 
Camden Crew

bump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:10 pm 
Force of Nature

I'm guessing they'll never have the umpires so far on their side again, either.

I think it's obvious that MLB wants new teams in the World Series.

Ledbetterman10 wrote:
This place is a cesspool of douchbagery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:01 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  YIM  Profile

TortureFollowsReward wrote:

Hey look, there's that baseless accusation again!

Why exactly did LaRussa start jawing after that walk? None of those 4 pitches were even CLOSE.

Me on Google+
Campaign For Liberty
Ludwig Von Mises Institute
antiwar.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:08 pm 
Unthought Known

twoheadedboy wrote:

Why exactly did LaRussa start jawing after that walk? None of those 4 pitches were even CLOSE.

LaRussa was obviously looking at the officiating as a whole...

not that i would expect a cubfan to understand the complexity that can be baseball though.... dont you have an "05-06 is the cubs year" thread to get started on somewhere?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:32 pm 
Got Some

Did the ump really have to throw Edmonds out of the game? The pitch looked like a ball and he didn't swing. He didn't even looked like he argued that vehemently. Throwing him out in the 8th with 2 out in a 1 run game is harsh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:33 pm 
not a big Gay guy

pearljamminagain wrote:
twoheadedboy wrote:

not that i would expect a cubfan to understand the complexity that can be baseball though.... dont you have an "05-06 is the cubs year" thread to get started on somewhere?

i finally figured out why this post is so puzzling to me. when do baseball seasons ever take place in multiple years?

i was dreaming through the howzlife yawning car black when she told me "mad and meaningless as ever" and a song came on my radio like a cemetery rhyme for a million crying corpses in their tragedy of respectable existence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:58 pm 
Unthought Known

knuckles of frisco wrote:
pearljamminagain wrote:
twoheadedboy wrote:

i finally figured out why this post is so puzzling to me. when do baseball seasons ever take place in multiple years?

cant you tell im frustrated?.... not even making sense anymore

prick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:08 pm 
not a big Gay guy

"anymore"

:wink:

i was dreaming through the howzlife yawning car black when she told me "mad and meaningless as ever" and a song came on my radio like a cemetery rhyme for a million crying corpses in their tragedy of respectable existence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:41 pm 
Unthought Known

knuckles of frisco wrote:
"anymore"

:wink:

:middlefinger:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:39 pm 
statistically insignificant

OP just couldn't wait until 2016 is all

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports