Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Blasphemy Day
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:44 pm 
Supersonic

corduroy_blazer wrote:
To be sure, Blasphemy Day and the Blasphemy "Contest" are two very different things, I think.

Jesus walks into a hotel in Bethlehem, puts three nails down on the counter and says, "put me up for the night."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:39 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

That's pretty good.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:55 pm 
Stone's Bitch

corduroy_blazer wrote:
To be sure, Blasphemy Day and the Blasphemy "Contest" are two very different things, I think.

Not to the vast majority of people who hear about this event. And that is the point. Do you guys want to rile people up, or do you want to promote rational thought and open dialog?

I just think it is ironic that an organization that is supposedly interested in promoting a higher degree of thought is involved in an event that is being used as a venue to belittle the beliefs of others.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:13 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

well, just calling it "Blasphemy Day" invites that kind of antagonism. I think i'm ok with that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:41 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

circle of fire
my baptism of joy at an end it seems
the seventh lamb slain
the book of life opens before me

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:21 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... AD9B2UIIG0

UN rights body approves US-Egypt free speech text

The U.N. Human Rights Council approved a U.S.-backed resolution Friday deploring attacks on religions while insisting that freedom of expression remains a basic right.

The inaugural resolution sponsored by the U.S. since it joined the council in June broke a long-running deadlock between Western and Islamic countries in the wake of the publication of cartoons depicting the Muslim Prophet Muhammad.

The resolution has no effect in law but provides Muslim countries with moral ammunition the next time they feel central tenets of Islam are being ridiculed by Western politicians or media through "negative racial and religious stereotyping."

American diplomats say the measure — co-sponsored by Egypt — is part of the Obama administration's effort to reach out to Muslim countries.

"The exercise of the right to freedom of opinion and expression is one of the essential foundations of a democratic society," the resolution states, urging countries to protect free speech by lifting legal restrictions, ensuring the safety of journalists, promoting literacy and preventing media concentration.

Rights groups cautiously welcomed the resolution as an improvement on earlier drafts, but said Egypt was in no position to lecture other countries about free speech as it has a poor record on the matter.

"Egypt's cosponsorship of the resolution on freedom of expression is not the result of a real commitment to upholding freedom of expression," said Jeremie Smith, Geneva director of the Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies.

"If this were the case, freedom of expression would not be systematically violated on a daily basis in Egypt," he said.

Others warned that the resolution appears to protect religions rather than believers
and encourages journalists to abide by ill-defined codes of conduct.

"Unfortunately, the text talks about negative racial and religious stereotyping, something which most free expression and human rights organizations will oppose," said Agnes Callamard, executive director of London-based group Article 19.

"The equality of all ideas and convictions before the law and the right to debate them freely is the keystone of democracy," she said.

Although the resolution was passed unanimously, European and developing countries made it clear that they remain at odds on the issue of protecting religions from criticism. Some Asian and African countries had called for stronger condemnation of articles, cartoons and videos they believe defames Islam.

--

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/blog/th ... istration/

The First Amendment and Obama’s Administration

On October 2, 2009, the U.N. Human Rights Council approved a resolution that was cosponsored by the United States and Egypt which called on states to condemn and criminalize “any advocacy of national, racial or religious hatred that constitutes incitement to discrimination, hostility or violence." The resolution also condemns "negative stereotyping of religions and racial groups", which can only mean that any criticism of Islam, and we know that Islam is the real issue here, will be seen as “negative stereotyping”. Furthermore, what will be perceived as “negative stereotyping” is to be decided subjectively by Muslims themselves.

How did the United States get involved in this denial of the basic principles of free speech and thought? The American delegates claimed that the measure was a part of the Obama administration’s effort to reach out to Muslim countries. It is true that the resolution did state that, “The exercise of the right to freedom of opinion and expression is one of the essential foundations of a democratic society". And although the resolution is not legally binding, it is morally so. This is almost as damaging as was argued by Eugene Volokh,

“But why the fuss, some might ask, if we’re protected by the First Amendment? First, if the U.S. backs a resolution that urges the suppression of some speech, presumably we are taking the view that all countries — including the U.S. — should adhere to this resolution. If we are constitutionally barred from adhering to it by our domestic constitution, then we’re implicitly criticizing that constitution, and committing ourselves to do what we can to change it.

“So to be consistent with our position here, the Administration would presumably have to take what steps it can to ensure that supposed "hate speech" that incites hostility will indeed be punished. It would presumably be committed to filing amicus briefs supporting changes in First Amendment law to allow such punishment, and in principle perhaps the appointment of Justices who would endorse such changes (or even the proposal of express constitutional amendments that would work such changes).”

There is also irony in Egypt co-sponsoring this resolution since, as Jeremie Smith, Geneva director of the Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies, said “Egypt’s co-sponsorship of the resolution on freedom of expression is not the result of a real commitment to upholding freedom of expression…If this were the case, freedom of expression would not be systematically violated on a daily basis in Egypt"

Other human rights activists pointed out that the resolution appears to protect religions rather than believers and encourages journalists to some kind of self-censorship.

"Unfortunately, the text talks about negative racial and religious stereotyping, something which most free expression and human rights organizations will oppose. The equality of all ideas and convictions before the law and the right to debate them freely is the keystone of democracy " said Agnes Callamard, executive director of London-based group Article 19, that was formed at the time of the fatwa on Salman Rushdie in 1989.

Not all is lost. Although the resolution was passed unanimously, Western countries did express their reservations on the issue of protecting religions from criticism.

We gotta watch our backs

Post subject: Re: Blasphemy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:57 pm 
Menace to Dogciety

Supressing hate speech is dumb, since it hides it. It's much better when it's exposed and people can criticize it more.

I'm just a painful reminder
Another day you leave behind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:57 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

i think this whole blasphemy day thing is idiotic, but i also take some issue with that resolution, but if it brings the world closer to peace, i'm all for it. however, i doubt it's gonna have much effect, and it's not law in the least, so it's whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:18 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

http://www.exclaim.ca/articles/generala ... fid1=44943

Behemoth’s Nergal Formally Charged for Insulting Roman Catholics and Destroying Bibles

Those crazy black metallers! If they’re not killing people or destroying churches, they’re burning bibles and shit-talking the Catholic Church onstage. Which, as Behemoth have just found out, is something that can carry some pretty big consequences with it.

Behemoth vocalist/guitarist Nergal (or, when he’s being a bit less evil, Adam Darski) was formally charged on Monday (March 8), for insulting Roman Catholics.

Here’s how the Satanic story goes: Nergal, who fronts the popular Polish black metal band, was up to his usual shtick onstage back in September of 2007, ripping up bibles and apparently (he’s speaking in Polish) calling the Catholic Church “the most murderous cult on the planet,” during a gig in Gdynia, Poland, reports interia.pl.

So, business as usual, but afterwards, Ryszard Nowak, head of the All-Polish Committee for Defense against Sects, sued the band for promoting Satanism. Offending a person’s religious feelings is an offence under Polish law, but there must be two formal complaints laid against someone for it to go anywhere. So, Behemoth were off the hook then, but they’re not now.

Recently, “an unspecified number of complaints” were filed against Nergal, reports Metal as Fuck, giving the Polish authorities cause to take Nergal to task for his actions. The formal charge? Insulting Roman Catholics.

If he is found guilty, Nergal is looking at up to two years in prison. See footage of the offending act below.

Behemoth’s latest release was ‘09’s Evangelion. The band have been tearing up bibles on stage for years (and probably getting a kick-ass wholesale rate for them, we can only imagine).

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:19 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

*death metal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:21 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/post/12217 ... harge-or-/

Quote:
There are a number of things to consider here that many within the metal community don’t seem to be looking at. Nergal’s consistent rhetoric in interviews and onstage portrays him as having nothing but the utmost contempt for religion. In fact, right before tearing the Bible apart, he called the Catholic Church “the most murderous cult on the planet”. His actions during shows reinforce that portrayal a thousand times over. Nergal is definitely not uneducated, since his lyrics and his statements about the meanings of songs show that he has a vast knowledge of religious doctrine and beliefs, things that he needs to know properly in order to criticize correctly. He would know, therefore, that destroying a Bible is incredibly offensive and sacrilegious to most Christian groups. Thus, one can only surmise that his testimony saying the incident was not meant to offend religious beliefs is, at best, laughably naive, and at worst, a blatant lie.

Furthermore, metal fans declaring that Nergal’s actions are protected free speech do not seem to realize that free speech is not a worldwide guaranteed right. There are many countries in the world where free speech is essentially a myth and a dream, made impossible by tyrannical leaders and autocratic governments. While Poland does not have an autocratic government by any means, the country does have laws that disallow certain forms of expression, in the name of preventing intolerance among its people. The protection against offending religious beliefs stems from the fact that the citizens of Poland are almost universally Christian, and after suffering under both Nazi and Communist control for half a century, they do not want to endure any further religious oppression. It’s a different society there than it is in America or other countries where religious beliefs are more diverse, and metal fans are not realizing that at all.

I don’t have an opinion one way or the other about whether the laws involved in this case are just or not. I do not live in Poland, and therefore, I won’t make the assumption that the Polish people are better or worse off for having these laws in their country. I do, however, think that the Polish judicial system has every right to prosecute Nergal for breaking the law of their country. Being a citizen of Poland, Nergal should have known the risk of destroying a Bible onstage there. As previously stated, he is incredibly naive to think that he wouldn’t offend someone and risk being charged with a crime in that environment. And if he did realize the possibility of offending someone and destroyed the Bible anyway, then he is no better than shock performers like Ozzy Osbourne was in the 1980s, enacting ridiculous stunts onstage to garner media attention.

This is not an issue of infringing on free speech or laws being stuck in the past. Cultures are different worldwide, and all live performers need to realize that and plan their stage shows accordingly. Behemoth didn’t do that, and it was foolish of them to not realize that they were playing with fire.

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:21 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

lol @ march 8)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:55 pm 
Administrator

*waits for geg to comment*

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:34 am 
a joke

If i Polish black metal it looks nicer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:12 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

blasfemy, blasfeyou

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

Proud member of: Team Binaural and Team Argo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:51 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I'm happy to blaspheme any day anyway.. I don't see why I shouldn't make fun of imaginary figures.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:47 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

wait a second, wrong poster.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:38 am 
Coast to Coast

rafa_garcia18 wrote:
blasfemy, blasfeyou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:06 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

Hey ladies and gents -- if you're at all concerned with freedom of belief and expression, you might want to sign/share this petition:

http://wh.gov/cmUt

We gotta watch our backs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:50 pm 
Supersonic

have we introduced corduroy_blazer and I Hail Randy Moss?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate