Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post subject: 5 shot, 4 dead, including a toddler, in Boston last night
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:20 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaki ... News_links

It's always in Mattapan.

Quote:
Boston police investigators are actively pursuing a lead that the quadruple slayings on a Mattapan sidestreet early today – including the death of a toddler – occurred during a drug-related encounter, two law enforcement officials said this afternoon.

Detectives are pursuing this motive after one of the victims -- before he fell unconscious -- said he had been trying to buy drugs shortly before the shooting rampage, one of the officials said.

Three male victims were found naked in the street, the officials said. They were spread many feet apart from one another, making it appear as if they were trying to flee the scene as they were shot, one of the officials said. The victims were not lined up and shot execution-style, the official said.

Two of the three men were declared dead at the scene; the third remains in critical condition at a local hospital. A woman was also declared dead at the scene. The toddler, who the official said was a boy, was rushed to a hospital before dying. Another official said the woman was cradling the boy when she was shot in the head.

The law enforcement officials spoke on the condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing and no arrests have been made.

One of the officials warned that the motive could change as the investigation continues, but that police are actively pushing the drug angle. “There’s more to the story than what we have now,” the official said.

The law enforcement official said the fact the men were naked lends more credibility to the fact that the shootings occurred during a soured drug encounter. The killer or killers, the official said, may have made the men strip down to keep them under control and reduce the likelihood that they would try to flee.

The shooting was reported at 1:12 a.m. and the victims were found in the area of 40 Woolson St., Police Commissioner Edward F. Davis said at a news conference this morning at the department's headquarters, where he appeared along with Mayor Thomas M. Menino, and Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley.

Addressing the killers, Menino said, "We know who you are. Cowards kill. Cowards use guns to settle their scores. Cowards hide. Mattapan is strong and will not let them hide."

"To those who have no respect for life and would commit this brutal act: Our streets are not your playground. Our kids cannot be your collateral damage. We'll not allow you to poison our city," he said.

The slayings come as the city is grappling with a surge in violence that has alarmed police and residents and erased what had appeared to be progress in fighting crime.

Davis said the shots were first detected by the city's ShotSpotter acoustic gunshot detection system. The department then received 911 calls reporting the shots.

Authorities said it appeared the shooters and the victims were known to each other and it was not a random attack.

Police said they were particularly interested in receiving information from the public on a silver or gray Ford Explorer that might somehow be connected to the incident.

Conley said the investigation into the shootings was "extremely active," involving police, prosecutors, and crime scene experts. "Every conceivable resource" was being brought to bear on the case, he said.

Earlier today, police officers distributed community alert fliers in the Woolson Street area containing information on the crime, asking people to call homicide detectives with any tips.

"Don't allow the acts of a few to threaten the vitality of your neighborhood," the flier said.

The street of modest six-unit apartments was cordoned off with yellow police tape as residents woke up and began heading to work. School buses were trying to pick up students for school. Mothers clutched their children as they walked them to bus stops.

Officers photographed the scene, and small green markers were placed on the street to mark the location of evidence. High-ranking officers and prosecutors arrived as detectives continued to interview witnesses.

At mid-morning, a group of at least six men and women who apparently knew the victims gathered on a nearby corner. One young woman wailed and wept uncontrollably. A man gently lifted up her chin and gave her water. A minister approached the group to console them.

Neighbor Ralph Myrthil said he came out of his house after hearing the shots and saw two people lying in the street naked, as if they had been pulled out of their beds before they were shot.

"I saw the people laying on the floor with no clothes," he said, adding that he planned to move because of crime in the area and concerns about the safety of his children.

"It's ugly. It's been ugly like this all summer long. Something has to happen," said Monique Golay, 26, who lives on nearby Sutton Street around the corner. "It's ugly, so ugly."

"Whoever did this, let Boston be the first to execute that man. Just for the kid alone," said Golay.

Richard Clark, 38, Golay's brother, who lives on nearby Wildwood Street, said he ran over to check on his sister after hearing the shots. He said the shots were followed by an eerie silence.

"It's just crazy. Six shots but nothing else," he said. "Complete silence. It's just too close for comfort. There's a lot of family and a lot of kids here."

"For someone to feel like they can shoot a 2-year-old child and the child's mother is just reprehensible to me. Absolutely reprehensible," said the Rev. Jeffrey L. Brown, executive director of the Boston TenPoint Coalition, a group of clergy working to break the "culture of violence" that grips some neighborhoods. "People do not have a right to do this. This is not something we should allow in our communities any longer."

"I’m obviously shocked over what I have heard, especially the shooting of the 2-year-old. Because although this may not seem like a gang-related incident, it illustrates to me why we need to address the culture of violence in our cities and our communities."

It was the worst mass killing in Boston since the slaying of four men in the basement of a home on Bourneside Street in Dorchester in December 2005.

The Globe reported Saturday that the city had seen a 32 percent increase in homicides since January, compared with the same period a year earlier.

And the Mattapan area has been no stranger to violence. In one recent slaying, Jeremy Price, 18, was shot to death at 60 Astoria St., just a few blocks from the Woolson Street address, on Sept. 6. In the past three months, there have also been 32 cases of assault and battery or assault and battery with a deadly weapon within a half-mile of 40 Woolson, according to Boston police data posted by crimereports.com.

Officials urged anyone with information to call the Boston Police CrimeStoppers tip line at 1-800-494-TIPS, text the word “TIP” to CRIME (27463), or contact the Boston police homicide unit at 617-343-4470.

"I think we all share the same horror, the same outrage, and the same unwavering commitment to justice," said Conley. "We're imploring the public to join us and share what they know."

Post subject: Re: 5 shot, 4 dead, including a toddler, in Boston last night
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:45 pm 
Coast to Coast

fuck :|

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:51 pm 
Coast to Coast

whoa, I thought this had been slightly more recent. That's the last time I'll ever venture into the barren wasteland that is "View unanswered posts".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:56 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

lol

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

Proud member of: Team Binaural and Team Argo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:58 pm 
Reissued

rafa_garcia18 wrote:
lol

You think this is something to laugh about?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:02 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Mickey wrote:
rafa_garcia18 wrote:
lol

you mean jorge's gaffe? yeah

regarding the news itself, i was going to post about how that's nothing compared to what goes on in other places, but i didn't want to be a dick.

durdencommatyler wrote:
iPones, man. Fuck.

Proud member of: Team Binaural and Team Argo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:04 pm 
Coast to Coast

rafa_garcia18 wrote:
Mickey wrote:
rafa_garcia18 wrote:
lol

you mean jorge's gaffe? yeah

regarding the news itself, i was going to post about how that's nothing compared to what goes on in other places, but i didn't want to be a dick.

murder snob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:31 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

People don't watch late local news as it is.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:20 am 
Former PJ Drummer

In Baltimore, we call this type of thing a "Saturday night."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:59 am 
a joke

bart d. wrote:

detroit wanna be post.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:24 am 
Former PJ Drummer

Skitch Patterson wrote:
bart d. wrote:

detroit wanna be post.

Call me when you guys get a show on HBO. Or on NBC.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:14 am 
a joke

bart d. wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:
bart d. wrote:

detroit wanna be post.

Call me when you guys get a show on HBO. Or on NBC.

Detroit 187 has more viewers each episode than either of those two shows ever got.

i am not one of them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:52 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

It bothers me that I think we need a thread for all these random, gruesome murders.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:35 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

The finally arrested the dude they think actually pulled the trigger for all four deaths in this case. The dude was only out of jail for a few months.

I drove through the neighborhood where it happened last night when taking back roads home from work. Sent chills down my spine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:27 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

THIRD SUSPECT UNDER ARREST IN WOOLSON STREET SLAYINGS

BOSTON, Dec. 8, 2010—Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis and Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today announced the arrest of EDWARD WASHINGTON (D.O.B. 3/28/79) of Dorchester in connection with murders of four people in Mattapan earlier this year.
Members of the Boston Police Fugitive and Apprehension Unit arrested Washington this afternoon and he is being charged with him with four counts of murder, one count of armed assault with intent to murder, home invasion, armed robbery, and unlawful possession of a firearm. He is expected to face arraignment on those charges tomorrow morning in Dorchester District Court.
Washington is the cousin of KIMANI WASHINGTON, who is currently held on $500,000 cash bail on gun and drug charges stemming from the Sept. 28 shooting deaths of Levaughn Washum-Garrison, Simba Martin, Eyanna Flonory, and her 2-year-old son, Amanihotep Smith on Woolson Street.
Boston Police arrested Kimani Washington on Oct. 2 in Manchester, New Hampshire. Boston Police arrested a second man, DWAYNE MOORE, on Nov. 22; Moore is charged with four counts of murder and an additional count of armed assault with intent to murder for the shooting of a fifth victim who remains in critical condition. He is currently held without bail.
The arrests come amid an ongoing investigation on the street and behind the closed doors of the Suffolk County Grand Jury. In light of that ongoing investigation, officials are unable to comment further on the arrests.
Investigators urge anyone with information on the slayings, no matter how insignificant or peripheral it may seem, to call the Boston Police Homicide Unit at 617-343-4470.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:25 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Trial on this is underway. The brother of one of the defendants says the dude was in and out of the house the night of the murders and came home with a safe and a bag of guns.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:28 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/03/23/j ... perverted/

Quote:
BOSTON (CBS) – One of the jurors in the Mattapan quadruple murder trial said Friday that a lone holdout kept defendant Dwayne Moore from being convicted of murder.

On Thursday, the jury found Moore’s co-defendant, Edward Washington not guilty of the 2010 murders. The judge was forced to declare a mistrial on the charges against Moore after jurors were unable to come to a consensus on his charges.

The judge noted that all except one of the jurors were able to agree on the charges against Moore. A juror who spoke to WBZ-TV but did not want to be identified, expressed anger and frustration, saying eleven of the jurors felt there was enough evidence to convict Moore, but the lone holdout refused to acknowledge the evidence.

“This is perverted. I mean, in all honesty, you have eleven people who are looking at the same evidence as one person. It’s one thing to say I disagree,” the juror said. “It’s one thing to say based on the evidence I see, I came to this conclusion. But when you’re not willing to show a single piece of evidence as to why you came to a certain conclusion, that’s perverted.”

That juror who spoke with WBZ-TV also talked about the rigors of the trial and deliberations, describing the ordeal as exhausting.

“There were a couple times I just broke down and cried on the final day. It was just to the point where I was just so emotionally drained,” the juror said. “Again, it’s not just the victims, not just the testimony, not just the victims, not just what happens; it just gets to the point where you can’t take it anymore.”

That juror said there was not enough evidence to convict Washington, but plenty to put Moore at the scene of the murders.

“I had to look at the evidence. I couldn’t think of him as a person. I couldn’t think of his past. I had to look at the evidence we were given based on how the case was presented,” the juror said.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:43 am 
Stone's Bitch

Been following this on the radio lately. This whole thing, from the crime to the lack of conviction, reads like an episode of The Wire. I betcha these names went from red to black regardless of the result of the trial.

"The real truth about it is: no one gets it right / The real truth about it is: we’re all supposed to try"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:48 pm 
AnalLog

Simple Torture wrote:
Been following this on the radio lately. This whole thing, from the crime to the lack of conviction, reads like an episode of The Wire. I betcha these names went from red to black regardless of the result of the trial.
yup, the secretary pushed the chair up to the wall...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:43 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Verdict is in, waiting for it to be read.

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate