Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Post your Golf Scores
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:07 am 
In a van down by the river

Deano wrote:
Club champs...DQed. Forgot to sign my card. My fault, but annoys you about the pedantic nature of golf's rules.

i think golf more than any other sport is soooo anal about its rules that its almost comical

would you have gained any major benefits out of it?

i also found when i golfed last week that i finally matured. i was of the john daly school of thought of grip it and rip it. every 5 times i used my driver off the tee id hit one 300+ but the other 4 i either committed genocide on worms or hit it 500yards in the air and 10 feet out.

this last time i just went up and hit it. my line was way off but i maybe only had one unplayable (meaning completely fucked the pooch) tee shot. we still dont play strictly out of bounds here and definitely werent that day since out of the 12 people on the course our group had 8 of them

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:20 pm 
Stone's Butch

Peeps wrote:

Absolutely not. I suppose the reason you sign a card is to verify your score - that both parties had agreed that was the score you recorded in that round.

The issue for me is that when I was told I was DQed my card was there, I was there, my partner was there...no one disagreed with the score, there was nothing untoward. There was merely a blank space where my signature should've been.

Obviously the fault lies with me but my partner was marking my card and didn't have me sign it, the pro took the card off me and didn't pick up that it wasn't signed. When is the cut-off time for it to be signed? Why can't it be done when they alerted me to it? Some people were still on the course, so the day was by no means over nor the tournament.

It's a rule, but it's an archaic one. As Peeps said, I gained no advantage out of it. If I was in a tournament and I saw someone in the same predicament as me, I wouldn't want them DQed. They shot what they shot, less a few squiggled lines.

Rant over, for now.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:05 pm 

Deano wrote:
Peeps wrote:

Absolutely not. I suppose the reason you sign a card is to verify your score - that both parties had agreed that was the score you recorded in that round.

The issue for me is that when I was told I was DQed my card was there, I was there, my partner was there...no one disagreed with the score, there was nothing untoward. There was merely a blank space where my signature should've been.

Obviously the fault lies with me but my partner was marking my card and didn't have me sign it, the pro took the card off me and didn't pick up that it wasn't signed. When is the cut-off time for it to be signed? Why can't it be done when they alerted me to it? Some people were still on the course, so the day was by no means over nor the tournament.

It's a rule, but it's an archaic one. As Peeps said, I gained no advantage out of it. If I was in a tournament and I saw someone in the same predicament as me, I wouldn't want them DQed. They shot what they shot, less a few squiggled lines.

Rant over, for now.

what about what you lost, being club champ, would you have gotten anything out of that other than bragging rights?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:37 pm 
Administrator

Deano wrote:
Peeps wrote:

Rant over, for now.

I'm of the school of thought where the winner of a golf tournament should be determined by who plays the best golf.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:03 am 
Stone's Butch

Bragging rights, $150, trophy etc. Should point out I wasn't exactly in pole position to win it, but still don't like the situation.

If I was 2nd, and got well beaten by a guy who didn't sign his scorecard, it wouldn't mean a thing to me. I remember winning a running race at school where I was well behind but got 1st because the guy went out of his lane. It didn't excite me, it didn't enthuse anyone else to congratulate me as the 'winner'

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:59 am 

regardless of the outcome that sucks, but i think most people, even if you wouldnt have won anything know that the score stands regardless of some nonsense rule

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:40 am 
Unthought Known

Sorry to hear about that Deano.

Got to 7 !! Although we changed our handicap system from best 10 out of 20 * .96 (or so) to best 8 out of 20 * .93 (or so). so I went from 8.4 to 7.5 last week without doing anything. This change was to stop high handicapers scoring so well.

Thought I needed about 80 today to get to 7 handicap for 1st time (and beat dad who got to 8). I ended up shooting 78. 41 front then 37 on the back (1 over).

Started smashing my drive, was leading longest drive (on the 18th) when i finished, best thing was knocking off a guy who was carrying on like an idiot last week (long story) by about 2 foot HA HA. Big high draw straight out of the screws. Hit my wedge from 95 meters to about 2 foot but missed the putt! Read it left to right changed my mind hit straight at it and it missed right.

Also missed a 2 foot putt on 16 for birdie, had a big dink in the green right in front on my line. Birdied the hardest hole on the course after i belted a four iron from 180meters to 2 feet. Anyway a good day!

not sure why i use feet for putts and meters for the rest?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:25 pm 
Stone's Butch

Good on ya Clint...I'm going the other way. From a 0.0 to a 2.9 in the space of a month! Doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that is awful golf.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:45 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Didn't get a chance to play this weekend. Probably a good thing considering how my last few rounds went.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:26 am 
Stone's Butch

And 2-under through 16 holes tonight before the darkness set in. The pro gave me one quick hint and I was back to hitting it decent. Can't wait for next round.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:19 am 
Unthought Known

Deano wrote:
And 2-under through 16 holes tonight before the darkness set in. The pro gave me one quick hint and I was back to hitting it decent. Can't wait for next round.

That is the good / bad thing about golf, it is often one little tip that can make all the difference and it is usually something you have forgot but used to do before. Sometimes I think it is a mental thing. You concentrate on one thing and your whole swing returns to what it should be and confidence returns.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:05 am 
Unthought Known

Club Champs 2 weeks ago, It was pouring and i had babysitter issues so i pulled out, straight away it cleared up the rest of the weekend, naturally.

Last week had 77, never hit the ball so well, missed 2 fairways and 2/4 par 3's. 3 putted 1 and 3. Lipped out on the 18th badly. Down to 6.7, yippee.

Secret was drugs i think. Had a tooth pulled out so was on 60mg of Codine, made me nice and relaxed didn't tense up like i can do when hitting it really well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:12 pm 
Unthought Known

Shot 78, double bogy the last after being in a good position to par it. The guy i was playing with was 5 under after 11 and then had a 9! back to level after 1 hole.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:22 am 
Stone's Bitch

It's 40 degrees here and everything is dead. I hate you southern hemispherers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:31 pm 
Unthought Known

Shot 76, (38,38) tied my best score, hit a 15 -17 foot snake for birdie on the last :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:36 am 
Stone's Bitch

It's been unseasonably warm her the last few weeks which means I have gone three times now since Christmas. Picked up a few tips from my dad while I was home and I was stroking it. Shot an 82 the other day (which is 6-8 under my average last year). Knowing me I will completely forget everything I learned in the spring.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:31 am 
Unthought Known

Monkey_Driven wrote:
It's been unseasonably warm her the last few weeks which means I have gone three times now since Christmas. Picked up a few tips from my dad while I was home and I was stroking it. Shot an 82 the other day (which is 6-8 under my average last year). Knowing me I will completely forget everything I learned in the spring.

If you get some tips you can write them down and put them in your golf bag as a reminder, it could even be some 'mental' tips, I used to do this for a while and it helped. While driving i just think left foot on ground (on back swing) and full rotation and this seems to be making all the difference, won longest drive last week :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:08 pm 
Stone's Bitch

clint72 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

If you get some tips you can write them down and put them in your golf bag as a reminder, it could even be some 'mental' tips, I used to do this for a while and it helped. While driving i just think left foot on ground (on back swing) and full rotation and this seems to be making all the difference, won longest drive last week :thumbsup:

That's not a bad idea. Unfortunately, I am not athletic so I lose a lot of that muscle memory when I haven't played in awhile. Thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:02 am 
Unthought Known

I've played like shit the for the last week

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:05 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Doug RR wrote:
I've played like shit the for the last week

Join the club.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports