Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 814 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Presidential Election
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:35 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

4/5 wrote:
thodoks wrote:
vegman wrote:
4/5 wrote:
Presidential Election threads just aren't the same without PunkDavid and g_v.

What happened to PD? I'm only a part-time poster so I must have missed his exit.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92709

Wait, does Chud really have a tarot tattoo??

haha that's great.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:46 pm 
Supersonic

4/5 wrote:
Personally, I think a colony on the moon is exactly what this country needs to finally reclaim our rightful place in the world universe.

So, if we end up building a colony on the moon, will it be called a Newtist colony?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:14 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

4/5 wrote:
thodoks wrote:
vegman wrote:
4/5 wrote:

What happened to PD? I'm only a part-time poster so I must have missed his exit.

Wait, does Chud really have a tarot tattoo??

I most certainly do.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:03 pm 
Got Some

thodoks wrote:
vegman wrote:
4/5 wrote:

Wow, that was quite the thread and the exact reason that I stick to threads about beer and sports, mostly. belated RIP PunkDavid.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:29 pm 
Got Some

Well, if there's anyone who still takes the Green Party seriously they may want to rethink things.

Roseanne is running for president (not a joke)

(CNN) – The Green Party welcomed comedian Roseanne Barr as a presidential candidate Friday, following her Twitter announcement.

A spokesman for the grassroots movement said she completed the party's requirements to run under the Green banner and will promote their platform ahead of the 2012 election.

Scott McLarty, national media coordinator for the party, said Barr and Jill Stein, the other candidate that met the qualifications, are committed to ending the influence of corporate money on politics and elections and served as active participants in the Occupy Wall Street movement.

"She's showing that she really is understanding what the Green Party is about and support our positions and our values," McLarty said of Barr. "It's great that someone who is so well known is campaigning not just in the party but for the party."

Barr, who previously supported President Barack Obama, announced her bid Thursday via Twitter.

"I am running for Green Party nominee for POTUS. I am an official candidate. I am4 the Greening of America&theworld. Green=peace/justice," she wrote.

The former star of "Roseanne," the sitcom that ran from 1988 to 1997, has flirted with a run in the past, telling Jay Leno over the summer, perhaps jokingly that she intended to campaign for the White House. She briefly starred in the Lifetime series "Roseanne's Nuts" in 2011 that documented her life on a macadamia nut and livestock farm in Hawaii and has since appeared at Occupy events.

Stein, a medical doctor and environmental and health advocate, ran for Massachusetts state representative in 2004 and secretary of state in 2006 as a member of the Green-Rainbow Party.

Six individuals, including Barr and Stein, filed with the Federal Election Commission to register as 2012 Green Party presidential candidates. However, the party is currently only recognizing Barr and Stein due to internal rules that include requiring the submission of a financial report and a list of supporters.

Greens typically emphasize environmentalism, participatory democracy, free speech and social justice and have achieved some electoral success at the local level. Ralph Nader most notably ran for president in 1996 and 2000 as a Green, capturing nearly 3 million votes in the later contest.

The party's national convention ahead of the 2012 race will take place in Baltimore between July 12 and July 15 and McLarty said the Green nomination will offer welcome relief from the GOP battle and dissatisfaction with Obama.

"We have a pair of candidates who are running for working Americans," McLarty said.

And of course, he added, "the publicity is great."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:00 pm 
Unthought Known

Any party that would seriously let Cynthia Mckinney represent them is not a party I can take seriously.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:34 am 
Administrator

thodoks wrote:
Rick Santorum?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:43 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:07 pm 
Got Some

I'm starting to buy into Romney being to be the GOP version of John Kerry. Going against a vulnerable incumbant the opposing party goes with an uncharismatic, talkative nominee that excites no one. Whitey McRichguy from central casting. The party core will reluctantly vote for him but the middle of road voters will stick with Obama. Romney will inflict more damage on himself with his mouth than anything the Dems will do to him.
One thing that could tilt to Romney's favor would be if gas continues to climb as expected. $4-5 gas won't be Obama's fault but it would end his presidency.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:46 pm 
Administrator

lord vedder wrote:
I'm starting to buy into Romney being to be the GOP version of John Kerry. Going against a vulnerable incumbant the opposing party goes with an uncharismatic, talkative nominee that excites no one. Whitey McRichguy from central casting. The party core will reluctantly vote for him but the middle of road voters will stick with Obama. Romney will inflict more damage on himself with his mouth than anything the Dems will do to him.
One thing that could tilt to Romney's favor would be if gas continues to climb as expected. $4-5 gas won't be Obama's fault but it would end his presidency.

I don't buy it. While nobody is really excited about Romney, I just don't see any moderates being more likely to vote for Gingrich or Santorum over Romney... And those are the people who win the general election.

Romney makes the general election depend on the economy... Gingrich or Santorum locks up a second term for Obama.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:54 pm 
Got Some

I don't think we disagree. I fully expect Romney to be the nominee. If the economy continues to improve, all though slowly, Obama will win. If it stalls out, and especially if gas has a prolonged spike, Romney wins.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:32 pm 
Got Some

I feel like getting swing votes as a way to win elections is one of the great modern myths. You win elections by motivating turnout of your base. Obama won because he motivated people who liked him but weren't typically voters to come out and cast their ballot--McCain couldn't do the same thing with conservatives. Bush/Kerry was the same thing but with the parties switched.

I don't know how 2012 will work out. Romney certainly has the look of a Kerry-type guy who just won't be able to move the needle of motivating conservative voters to get to the polls ... but maybe antipathy toward Obama will do that? And after the last 4 years can Obama motivate his crowd again? I feel like the real story of the 2012 presidential election might be record low turnout, in the end.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:51 pm 
statistically insignificant

Rick Santorum: Penn State graduate.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:52 pm 
a joke

thodoks wrote:

You know, i really really dislike Rick Santorum politically. I disagree with him on a lot.

BUT i think i like him more than romney. I think i hate mitt romney.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:28 pm 
Unthought Known

thodoks wrote:

Damnit, I hold a certificate from that fine institution as well. I'm not a pedophile, nor am I a theocrat.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:34 pm 
Supersonic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:06 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Electromatic wrote:
thodoks wrote:

Damnit, I hold a certificate from that fine institution as well. I'm not a pedophile, nor am I a theocrat.

Pedocrat?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:19 pm 
Supersonic

Certificate?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:33 am 
Unthought Known

mray10 wrote:
I feel like getting swing votes as a way to win elections is one of the great modern myths. You win elections by motivating turnout of your base. Obama won because he motivated people who liked him but weren't typically voters to come out and cast their ballot--McCain couldn't do the same thing with conservatives. Bush/Kerry was the same thing but with the parties switched.

I don't know how 2012 will work out. Romney certainly has the look of a Kerry-type guy who just won't be able to move the needle of motivating conservative voters to get to the polls ... but maybe antipathy toward Obama will do that? And after the last 4 years can Obama motivate his crowd again? I feel like the real story of the 2012 presidential election might be record low turnout, in the end.

i agree.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:22 am 
Administrator

bmacsmith wrote:
mray10 wrote:

i agree.

The exit polls don't seem to. Moderates (44% of the voters) voted for Obama by a 60% to 39% margin. I think that's pretty compelling evidence that swing voters were sufficient to swing the election towards Obama. It's probably the case that both factors were in play, but it seems that margin among moderates is large enough that had McCain been able to win more of them, the election could have gone his way. But I'm too lazy to look at exit polls in swing states right now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 814 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 41  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate