Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post subject: The Limits of Humor
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:46 am 
Coast to Coast

Are there limits to humor? Are there topics that should not be joked about? Is it true that, since humor has historically come from the darkest places, everything should be fair game to joke about regardless of offending or possibly hurting others?

The Daniel Tosh debacle from last week got me thinking about this. Of course Tosh is a douche with zero finesse or craft, and what he did could hardly be considered a 'joke' (felt more like a hateful threat), but this whole thing spawned another debate about where comedians should draw the line. Some pretty indignant folks were saying rape jokes should be off the table altogether. I'd point out that I've heard funny rape jokes, and usually they were funny rather than simply crass because they didn't make the victims the butt of the joke. Are rape jokes inherently bad because they're based on something absolutely horrible that demeans and dehumanizes its victims? Or can a rape joke be funny? How about racist jokes? Dead baby jokes? Pedophilia jokes? Is it execution, rather than content?

Is just about everything fair play? Where do we draw the line?

Post subject: Re: The Limits of Humor
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:09 am 
Master of Meh

theplatypus wrote:
Are there topics that should not be joked about?

Nah.

That doesn't mean all jokes are funny of course, but I think the potential exists to make pretty much anything funny on some level.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:22 am 
a joke

Anything can be funny to the right audience.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:28 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

theplatypus wrote:
Is it execution, rather than content?

Most of the time, I think it's this. Unfortunately it just seems to be one of those things where you can't always see the line but you definitely know when it's been crossed. Personally, while I'm no fan of obsessive political correctness, I almost always find those kinds of jokes to be less funny than they're worth--they're just too easy, too predictable, which is pretty much an instant killer where comedy is concerned. Though as a teenager I always hated the idea that I might someday evolve into this person, it does impress me when a comedian can be genuinely hilarious without resorting to any of that shock value shtick. If nothing else, I'm just bored by it at this point.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:12 am 
a joke

Here is Gilbert Gottfried on the subject. And I think he is fairly spot on- even acknowledging Kevin Davis' point about the jokes not being very good. Now the Tosh stuff was (as is most of his stuff) terribly unfunny, but that was brought on by an audience member bitching about rape content.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/16/opinion/g ... index.html

The other element of it that bothers me is the fake outrage people display to words. The Norway shooting thread was a perfect example of it. Everyone copes differently with things, and why is over dramatic crying okay, but a throwaway joke about something not okay?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:50 am 
Global Moderator

i have nothing to add to this thread but my agreement.

The perfect gift for certain occasions

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:39 pm 
a joke

Spoiler: show

I laughed at both, especially the first one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:56 pm 
Global Moderator

I did too, Skitch.

I guess the real test is this

http://bennyhillifier.com/

is there anything that won't become funny once it is bennyhillified?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:11 pm 
a joke

stip wrote:
I did too, Skitch.

Doesn't get any better

Spoiler: Show

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:54 pm 
Unthought Known

I never thought making light of people dying was funny. In fact it kind of pisses me off. The first one I ever heard was after the Challenger blew up...people were saying they found so and so's head n' shoulders. I don't remember the details, but I remember wanting to punch the asshole who told the joke. The one skitch posted is not funny at all to me. I never will understand why some must make humor out of stuff like that. It's just disrespectful to those who died. If y'all find it funny, that's your opinion, I don't find it funny in the least.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:41 pm 
Spacegirl

Skitch Patterson wrote:

oh, what other boards do you post on?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:55 pm 
a joke

Spike wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:

oh, what other boards do you post on?

7/10

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:03 pm 
a joke

darth_vedder wrote:
I never thought making light of people dying was funny. In fact it kind of pisses me off. The first one I ever heard was after the Challenger blew up...people were saying they found so and so's head n' shoulders. I don't remember the details, but I remember wanting to punch the asshole who told the joke. The one skitch posted is not funny at all to me. I never will understand why some must make humor out of stuff like that. It's just disrespectful to those who died. If y'all find it funny, that's your opinion, I don't find it funny in the least.

And no one is telling you that you have to find it funny...

and that's the difference. If my coping mechanism is laughter, it's somehow offensive to others. You tell me that I am being disrespectful and judging me because of my reaction. You are trying to force your values, your way of coping with things on to me.

I'm not telling you that you have to laugh, but you're telling me I shouldn't be.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:07 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Skitch Patterson wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

and that's the difference. If my coping mechanism is laughter, it's somehow offensive to others. You tell me that I am being disrespectful and judging me because of my reaction. You are trying to force your values, your way of coping with things on to me.

I'm not telling you that you have to laugh, but you're telling me I shouldn't be.
I'm with Stitch here. When my sister was dying we used a shit load of dark humour to find reasons to laugh rather than cry. I'm sure it turned off some people when she was in the hospice that there was laughter coming out of her room. But I wasn't exactly thrilled with the weeping and moaning coming out of some rooms and spilling out into the hallways. In general, it seems that the people who find solace in laughter are far more respectful to those who don't than vice versa.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:09 pm 
Administrator

darth_vedder wrote:

Humor is just the way some of us deal with crap situations. A couple years ago, I had a shirt with a bp logo that said, "We're bringing oil to American shores." The shirt was clearly mocking bp, and some people thought it was funny, but some simply saw it as making light of a terrible situation.

I tend to think if people lighten up a little, we'd all be happier. People don't make jokes about terrible things because they think those things are OK or unimportant.

Of course, that doesn't mean you should tell a rape joke in mixed company.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:16 pm 
Global Moderator

a lot of this is balancing. telling an inappropriate joke may make you feel better, but if you're with a group of people who it will make feel worse you should probably just think it to yourself and then go laugh in a bathroom stall

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:19 pm 
Unthought Known

Skitch Patterson wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

Hey man, I'm not judging you. I just think that it is in poor taste (the thing you posted). That's my opinion, nothing more. I've never understood why people choose to make jokes out of people dying, but that's just me. It's never been my bag, and never will be.

And for the record, I'm fine with pretty much all offensive, tasteless, raunchy, potty, political humor. I just don't like making jokes when innocent people were killed for going to a movie.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:23 pm 
a joke

darth_vedder wrote:
Hey man, I'm not judging you. I just think that it is in poor taste (the thing you posted). That's my opinion, nothing more. I've never understood why people choose to make jokes out of people dying, but that's just me. It's never been my bag, and never will be.

And for the record, I'm fine with pretty much all offensive, tasteless, raunchy, potty, political humor. I just don't like making jokes when innocent people were killed for going to a movie.

That's fine you don't like making them yourself.. but it shouldn't bother you that other people deal with it differently.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:33 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Skitch Patterson wrote:
stip wrote:
I did too, Skitch.

Doesn't get any better

Spoiler: Show

AL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:55 pm 
Unthought Known

Skitch Patterson wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

That's fine you don't like making them yourself.. but it shouldn't bother you that other people deal with it differently.

I guess, but it does bother me. Why is it, after any type of disaster (tsunami, hurricane, bomb explosions, air plane crashes, whatever) do the jokes start rolling out? I find it mean spirited.

I love humor, and based on your post over the years, it looks like me and you actually have similar taste (tv shows, movies, music, etc...), I just don't get this particular type of humor. Someone goes to a movie, gets their head blown off, and it's funny?

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate