Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Boston Red Sox Thread
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:26 pm 
Supersonic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:24 pm 
Supersonic

I'm glad that they are focused on fixing the pitching. Beckett was never going to win here again. Next to go should be Lester and Lackey, if possible.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:36 pm 
Supersonic

mick7184 wrote:
I hate this "made for Fenway" shit about Gonzalez. If he was really made for Fenway they wouldnt have gotten rid of him. I'm glad to see Gonzalez go, the guy was absolutely useless if you needed him to get a hit late in a close game, and all he did was complain the entire time he was here.

It may just be my perception as a fan of an opposing team, but I definitely get the "whiny little bitch" vibe from Pedroia, too. Wasn't he the one who said "That's not how we do things here" during the whole Valentine vs. Youkilis thing? When that happened, I couldn't help but assume he was part of the problem.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:03 pm 
Unthought Known

Not really until this year. Pedroia seems to have not been able to accept that Francona is gone and isn't coming back. He came off as a total snake in that story about the players trying to get valentine fired.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:13 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Yeah Pedroia really has been a bitch about the whole Francona firing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:23 pm 
Supersonic

MattA751 wrote:
1) immediately re-sign Ortiz to a 2 year, 25 millionish extension

It's 100% wishful thinking on my part, but what are the chances Ortiz is fed up with all the crap going on in Boston and decides he wants to leave in the offseason? A month ago I would have dismissed the possibility of him signing in Toronto, but the Jays complete collapse recently means they probably wouldn't have to give up a first round pick to sign him, and that might make them seriously consider it if he somehow makes it to free agency.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:43 pm 
Supersonic

PhilPritchard wrote:
MattA751 wrote:
1) immediately re-sign Ortiz to a 2 year, 25 millionish extension

It's 100% wishful thinking on my part, but what are the chances Ortiz is fed up with all the crap going on in Boston and decides he wants to leave in the offseason? A month ago I would have dismissed the possibility of him signing in Toronto, but the Jays complete collapse recently means they probably wouldn't have to give up a first round pick to sign him, and that might make them seriously consider it if he somehow makes it to free agency.

Ortiz already felt disrespected when the Sox would only offer a 1-year deal, but he took it anyway. The guess here is that the Sox keep him to maintain the brand.... I have a gut feeling that he's the type of guy that wants to stay in in Boston until retirement, esp if they continue to rid the clubhouse of malcontents.

On the flip side, we here in Boston would love to see John Farrell back here....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:33 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Lure Joe Torre out of retirement.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:12 pm 
Unthought Known

I dont think Ortiz would leave, he's pretty much proven over the years that he wont. I cant see Ortiz leaving Boston to go to Baltimore or Toronto just to make a few million more. He's obviously out for any NL teams, the Yankees, and probably the Angels too. It sucks that the Sox treat him like shit every offseason, but they do it because they pretty much know he's going to come back no matter what they offer. It must really have pissed him off though to look around that clubhouse and see a bunch of assholes with their 5 year contracts bitching, complaining, and not giving a fuck while he has to prove himself every year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:30 pm 
Got Some

So happy that they finally decided to pull the plug on some of these bums... I just wish they'd blow the WHOLE thing up and just start from scratch. Unfortunately the ownership group won't settle for the mediocrity that would likely follow for a few seasons.

"I'd satisfy the ladies by any means necessary." Dr. Hibbert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:28 pm 
Supersonic

mick7184 wrote:
I cant see Ortiz leaving Boston to go to Baltimore or Toronto just to make a few million more. He's obviously out for any NL teams, the Yankees, and probably the Angels too.

It wouldn't have to be just for the money if he's fed up with the way Boston is treating him.

As for Farrell, if the Sox were willing to give up anything of value in return, I would be all for a trade.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:29 pm 
a joke

Malcolm Sex wrote:
So happy that they finally decided to pull the plug on some of these bums... I just wish they'd blow the WHOLE thing up and just start from scratch. Unfortunately the ownership group won't settle for the mediocrity that would likely follow for a few seasons.

I am the last one to defend the Red Sox, but what else could they have really done to "blow the WHOLE thing up?"
Assuming of Course that Bobby V is fired at the end of the year? Youk, Gonzo, Crawford and Beckett are gone. Ortiz is a free agent at the end of the year, No one is touching Lackey for obvious reasons.

Pedroia, Ellsbury, Bucholz and Lester have very little value right now (relative to what it would have been 12 months ago) - and it would be stupid to trade them when their value is at their lowest, given all are talented.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:36 am 
Unthought Known

agreed skitch, there isnt much more they could do to blow it up than they already have. You would think Lackey is untradable, but I you would think if Crawford is tradeable, anyone is. Maybe they can swap Lackey for someone else's bad contract, the Angels might be a fit there. I just dont want them to take all this money they saved and give it to Hamilton and Greinke. They need to find players that fit the city and the team and want to be here, not players who are signing here because the Red Sox offered them 10 million more than anyone else. When Theo first took over, his first offseason he signed guys like Millar, Mueller, and Ortiz to low risk deals and that couldnt have worked out better. Cherington needs to find new Millars and Muellers this offseason. I think Swisher would be a fantastic fit for 1B here, unless he gets some ridiculous 60 million dollar offer from someone.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:02 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

Yeah there really isn't much left to do in terms of dropping guys. I'm still all for signing Ortiz to a two year deal and let him finish his career here. I'd also love to see Ellsbury resigned either through an extension or at free agency.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:48 pm 
Got Some

Skitch Patterson wrote:
Malcolm Sex wrote:

I am the last one to defend the Red Sox, but what else could they have really done to "blow the WHOLE thing up?"
Assuming of Course that Bobby V is fired at the end of the year? Youk, Gonzo, Crawford and Beckett are gone. Ortiz is a free agent at the end of the year, No one is touching Lackey for obvious reasons.

Pedroia, Ellsbury, Bucholz and Lester have very little value right now (relative to what it would have been 12 months ago) - and it would be stupid to trade them when their value is at their lowest, given all are talented.

Start at the top and work your way down. Lucchino is an absolute joke and the man behind the curtain. When the GM of your team can't even hire the manager something is wrong. Enough with the Red Sox nation branding as well, no we don't want to buy any bricks or pink hats. Don't even get me started on Fenway Park. As much history and mystique it has, and it's loaded with that, it's just begging for something new. Go to ANY of the newer ballparks built within the past decade and then go back to Fenway, it just feels old and run down. Bobby V is a stop gap until they can make a pitch to Ferrell, so he's just biding his time. I know Lackey's trade value is next to nil, but I think they should eat most if not all of his contract just to ship him outta town. The guy is an absolute cancer. Jacoby should have been traded following last season when his value was as high as it will ever be. He's way to injury prone to sign to a long term deal and you know Boras is going to be looking for nothing less than Crawford money for him. With only $40 million committed to salary next season, 15 of that being Lackey :shake: , they've got plenty of room to make tons of moves in the off season and try to rebuild from the ground up.

"I'd satisfy the ladies by any means necessary." Dr. Hibbert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:16 pm 
Supersonic

mick7184 wrote:
You would think Lackey is untradable, but I you would think if Crawford is tradeable, anyone is.

They had to give up a valuable player in Gonzalez (maybe overpaid, but still extremely valuable) to get rid of a couple terrible contracts though. I guess it depends how much you want to blow things up, but would you be willing to let another decent player go to get rid of the Lackey contract? I'm not really sure how taking on another bad contract helps them at all.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:55 pm 
Red Mosquito, my libido

If we let Ellsbury go we'll regret it. He's not any more injury prone than anyone else. People think he is because he broke his ribs (can happen to any athlete) and then fucked them up some more because he came back too early.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:56 pm 
a joke

Malcolm Sex wrote:

Don't even get me started on Fenway Park. As much history and mystique it has, and it's loaded with that, it's just begging for something new. Go to ANY of the newer ballparks built within the past decade and then go back to Fenway, it just feels old and run down.

There is not a single game I have gone to at Comerica Park that I haven't wished it was still Tiger Stadium, for as dilapidated as that place was. You can add amenities, but you can not replace the tradition that goes with a classic ball park. Wrigley and Fenway should remain in place for the remainder of eternity.

Malcolm Sex wrote:
I know Lackey's trade value is next to nil, but I think they should eat most if not all of his contract just to ship him outta town. The guy is an absolute cancer.

THEN WHY WOULD ANYONE TAKE HIM. A clubhouse cancer, coming off major injury, making a shit ton of money. Sign me up! Oh yeah, he had one really nice season and 3 okay ones.. and he's 33. You are getting NOTHING back for him. You're more likely to cut him.

Malcolm Sex wrote:
Jacoby should have been traded following last season when his value was as high as it will ever be. He's way to injury prone to sign to a long term deal and you know Boras is going to be looking for nothing less than Crawford money for him. With only $40 million committed to salary next season, 15 of that being Lackey :shake: , they've got plenty of room to make tons of moves in the off season and try to rebuild from the ground up.

Getting the most for Jacoby last season would have infuriated your fan base. They still thought you might win with this group. He's good, young and under club control. Why would you deal him? Obviously they had no way of knowing how tough this year was going to be for him. I would gladly trade for him as a Tiger fan.. but only if we're buying low.

and making moves in the offseason is in stark contrast to "building from the ground up."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:23 am 
Unthought Known

Ellsbury's value has plummeted since the offseason, they are better off just keeping him and hoping he returns to last years form. That way you can keep him if the team is winning, or trade him at the deadline for something if the team isnt winning. I personally would not re-sign him if it required any kind of huge contract. He strikes me as the type of guy that would get complacent if he got a huge long term deal.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:03 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

I don't know, I feel like not signing him would be another johnny damon type situation and we'd regret it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports