Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Smashing Pumpkins Reissues 2011 -
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:29 am 
Got Some

VinylGuy wrote:
¡B! wrote:
Bill Corgan thinks 90s era bands should stop trying to cash in on nostalgia.

Quote:
“While I’m trying to do this, practically everyone else in my generation is running to the (expletive deleted) till to cash in on the nostalgia movement, which is particularly haunting for a generation that stood for the exact opposite,” the Chicago native says. “Collectively, we all benefitted from a fierce retaliation, so to see people waving the white flag and giving in? When this would be a great time and there is a generation out there that wants to hear them make new statements?

:shake:

I ve been reading some interviews and, while i totally get what he says and think he has a point, he really needs to stop saying that stuff about others 90s bands. Specially when is touring as Smashing Pumpkins and not a new name, specially when he is doing his own reissues...it weird.
I do believe he has made a lot of new music these years, bad or good, he is trying to do something different in the live shows too and thats when i sorta get what he says.
But Billy, please just shut up and play the hits.

But he's trying to push the band forward at least, which is more than I can say for almost any of his contemporaries. I'm happy for the reissues if only because it gives a chance to get out some great outtakes / demos / live shows and tracks. There's so much of it, I'm glad at least a bit of it is coming out.

And to be honest, he IS playing the hits. Consider the setlist from tonight:

Quasar
Panopticon
The Celestials
Violet Rays
My Love Is Winter
One Diamond, One Heart
Pinwheels
Oceania
Pale Horse
The Chimera
Glissandra
Inkless
Wildflower
Space Oddity
X.Y.U.
Disarm
Tonite Reprise
>Tonight, Tonight
Bullet With Butterfly Wings
A Song for a Son
Zero
Cherub Rock

Encore:
Ava Adore
Muzzle

So you have Oceania, two singles from Siamese Dream, the biggest single from Adore, a Bowie cover, one song from Teargarden and five songs from Mellon Collie plus a tag of "Tonite Reprise". Compare this with the setlist from the one SP show I've seen, from February 06, 2008 in Paris:

Porcelina of the Vast Oceans
Behold! The Night Mare
Bring the Light
Tonight, Tonight
Mayonaise
Try, Try, Try
Superchrist
(Come On) Let's Go!
Stellar
Perfect (acoustic)
Lily (My One and Only)
The Rose March
Today
Tarantula
Stand Inside Your Love
Ava Adore
Drown
1979 (acoustic)
That's the Way (My Love Is) (acoustic)
My Blue Heaven
The Everlasting Gaze
Cash Car Star / Easy Livin' / Foreplay
> For What It's Worth (tease)
> Wasted Years (tease)
Daydream (electric)
Wound
United States

Encore:
I Don't Mind
Cherub Rock

You have a lot of singles there but also 4 b-sides, a couple of songs that never got released and a whole bunch of deep cuts that most of the audience didn't recognize. It was an interesting experience and Jimmy was still in the band at the time so that was cool, but a large part of me would rather have what they are doing now.

Plus, Billy isn't dressing like a cosmonaut:

Pearl Jam shows:
Champaign 4/23/2003
Chicago 6/18/2003
St. Louis 10/05/2004
Portland 7/20/2006
Gorge 7/22/2006
Ridgefield 9/26/2009
Philadelphia 10/31/2009

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:20 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Though I don't much care for the music, I admire Billy tremendously for how he's conducted himself as a musician during this part of his career. In my heart, I agree with a lot of what he says--I do wish more bands were focused on what they're doing now as opposed to what they did twenty years ago.

That said, I don't admire him at all for how he conducts himself personally, or for this idealized version of "the alternative generation" he seems to carry around with him. He always just ends up sounding like an old grump.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:28 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

matt reeder wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
¡B! wrote:

Quote:
“While I’m trying to do this, practically everyone else in my generation is running to the (expletive deleted) till to cash in on the nostalgia movement, which is particularly haunting for a generation that stood for the exact opposite,” the Chicago native says. “Collectively, we all benefitted from a fierce retaliation, so to see people waving the white flag and giving in? When this would be a great time and there is a generation out there that wants to hear them make new statements?

I ve been reading some interviews and, while i totally get what he says and think he has a point, he really needs to stop saying that stuff about others 90s bands. Specially when is touring as Smashing Pumpkins and not a new name, specially when he is doing his own reissues...it weird.
I do believe he has made a lot of new music these years, bad or good, he is trying to do something different in the live shows too and thats when i sorta get what he says.

But he's trying to push the band forward at least, which is more than I can say for almost any of his contemporaries. I'm happy for the reissues if only because it gives a chance to get out some great outtakes / demos / live shows and tracks. There's so much of it, I'm glad at least a bit of it is coming out.

And to be honest, he IS playing the hits. Consider the setlist from tonight:

Quasar
Panopticon
The Celestials
Violet Rays
My Love Is Winter
One Diamond, One Heart
Pinwheels
Oceania
Pale Horse
The Chimera
Glissandra
Inkless
Wildflower
Space Oddity
X.Y.U.
Disarm
Tonite Reprise
>Tonight, Tonight
A Song for a Son
Zero
Cherub Rock

Encore:
Ava Adore
Muzzle

So you have Oceania, two singles from Siamese Dream, the biggest single from Adore, a Bowie cover, one song from Teargarden and five songs from Mellon Collie plus a tag of "Tonite Reprise". Compare this with the setlist from the one SP show I've seen, from February 06, 2008 in Paris:

Behold! The Night Mare
Bring the Light
Tonight, Tonight
Mayonaise
Try, Try, Try
Superchrist
(Come On) Let's Go!
Stellar
Perfect (acoustic)
Lily (My One and Only)
The Rose March
Today
Tarantula
Stand Inside Your Love
Ava Adore
Drown
1979 (acoustic)
My Blue Heaven
The Everlasting Gaze
> Wasted Years (tease)
Daydream (electric)
Wound
United States

Encore:
I Don't Mind
Cherub Rock

You have a lot of singles there but also 4 b-sides, a couple of songs that never got released and a whole bunch of deep cuts that most of the audience didn't recognize. It was an interesting experience and Jimmy was still in the band at the time so that was cool, but a large part of me would rather have what they are doing now.

Plus, Billy isn't dressing like a cosmonaut:

i was joking with the shut up and play the hits comment...i do believe he is trying different things, not all of them work, but i have been really happy with his live output since 2007...and he is right in what the audience is expecting...people dont listen to music anymore, they are there to take pics and upload them to facebook.
I guess its just weird he calls Soundgarden cash grabers when they are releasing new music, and after all he is the only original member of his band...its weird , we all know he was the creative force behing the sp, and i really like the new band too, but its weird to hear him saying those things to bands that seem to enjoy playing music and making new music like SG.
Hey that 2008 show you went seems amazing...Behold the nightmare!, Drown, Mayonaise, Try, try, try, great setlist!
How was the show?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:51 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  Profile

I think it's quite a bold statement of conviction that Billy gets up in front of 10,000 people who could give a shit about Oceania and he goes on to play every note of the record before giving them a single song they recognize. I like Oceania enough, so I think it could be interesting, but I'm saying this from the perspective of the casual listener who buys a ticket looking to hear Today, Disarm and 1979.

It makes it painfully obvious that Pearl Jam are relying on the past too much in their setlists.
It also makes it very obvious that the Pumpkins have an incredibly deep discography to pull from to create some amazing setlists....

Opening a show with Porcelina!?!? My mind would be officially blown.

Last time I saw them was in 2007 at the Orpheum in Boston. I went because I wanted to see them in a smaller venue, and I was pretty happy with the setlist that night but it felt a bit short:

Rocket
Drown
Bring the Light
United States
Pomp and Circumstances
Tonight, Tonight
Tarantula
Stand Inside Your Love
Zero
Glass and the Ghost Children
Perfect
Set the Ray to Jerry
Superchrist
Doomsday Clock
Heavy Metal Machine / On the Road Again
I Love Rock 'n' Roll
(The Arrows cover) (Tease)
Encore:
Ava Adore
Cherub Rock

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:56 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

southp wrote:
I think it's quite a bold statement of conviction that Billy gets up in front of 10,000 people who could give a shit about Oceania and he goes on to play every note of the record before giving them a single song they recognize. I like Oceania enough, so I think it could be interesting, but I'm saying this from the perspective of the casual listener who buys a ticket looking to hear Today, Disarm and 1979.

It makes it painfully obvious that Pearl Jam are relying on the past too much in their setlists.
It also makes it very obvious that the Pumpkins have an incredibly deep discography to pull from to create some amazing setlists....

Last time I saw them was in 2007 at the Orpheum in Boston. I went because I wanted to see them in a smaller venue, and I was pretty happy with the setlist that night but it felt a bit short:

Rocket
Drown
Bring the Light
United States
Pomp and Circumstances
Tonight, Tonight
Tarantula
Stand Inside Your Love
Zero
Perfect
Set the Ray to Jerry
Superchrist
Doomsday Clock
I Love Rock 'n' Roll
Encore:
Ava Adore
Cherub Rock

Another impressive setlist...im sure casual fans would hate to get that many new songs and b sides, but its amazing.
Here its my sp 2010 show, a really good one:

The Fellowship
Lonely Is the Name
Today
Astral Planes
Ava Adore
A Song for a Son
Eye
United States
Spangled
To Sheila
Cherub Rock
Zero
Shame
Freak
Tonight, Tonight
Stand Inside Your Love
Tarantula
Encore:
A Stitch in Time
(Billy solo acoustic)
Disarm
(Billy solo acoustic)
By Starlight
Heavy Metal Machine

Some amazing versions of Shame, by starlight, HVM, Tonight, tonight...A stich in time is was better acoustic than the Teargarden version...overall a great show.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:48 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

matt reeder wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
¡B! wrote:

Quote:

I have no problem with him reissuing the albums or playing with a different band and calling it Smashing Pumpkins. Hell, I've bought all this crap thus far. He just needs to quit acting like he's this holier-than-thou innovator while doing the same thing that most of the other 90s bands are doing, or trying to do, give or take.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:37 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Hey, I listened to Oceania for the first time today and thought it was pretty good! Definitely more Zwan-y than Zeitgesit. I really haven't given the Teargarden stuff much of a chance, but I will give it a new listen now.

"The real truth about it is: no one gets it right / The real truth about it is: we’re all supposed to try"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:07 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Simple Torture wrote:
Hey, I listened to Oceania for the first time today and thought it was pretty good! Definitely more Zwan-y than Zeitgesit. I really haven't given the Teargarden stuff much of a chance, but I will give it a new listen now.

its a great album, a grower...The teargarden stuff has aged better than i thought, specially when it comes to play those songs live.
I maintain that he needs to work with a good producer in the next record.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:55 pm 
Master of Meh

Kevin Davis wrote:
Though I don't much care for the music, I admire Billy tremendously for how he's conducted himself as a musician during this part of his career. In my heart, I agree with a lot of what he says--I do wish more bands were focused on what they're doing now as opposed to what they did twenty years ago.

That said, I don't admire him at all for how he conducts himself personally, or for this idealized version of "the alternative generation" he seems to carry around with him. He always just ends up sounding like an old grump.

Agreed.

I don't like Billy's music a great deal, even the old material, but I'll always respect a successful musician who prefers to take the more challenging (and potentially less financially rewarding) road of trying to keep pushing their creative boundaries and not coasting on past achievements.

(He doesn't half seem like a pretentious windbag, though.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:30 pm 
Got Some

VinylGuy wrote:
southp wrote:

Rocket
Drown
Bring the Light
United States
Pomp and Circumstances
Tonight, Tonight
Tarantula
Stand Inside Your Love
Zero
Perfect
Set the Ray to Jerry
Superchrist
Doomsday Clock
I Love Rock 'n' Roll
Encore:
Ava Adore
Cherub Rock

Another impressive setlist...im sure casual fans would hate to get that many new songs and b sides, but its amazing.

The Fellowship
Lonely Is the Name
Today
Astral Planes
Ava Adore
A Song for a Son
Eye
United States
Spangled
To Sheila
Cherub Rock
Zero
Shame
Freak
Tonight, Tonight
Stand Inside Your Love
Tarantula
Encore:
A Stitch in Time
(Billy solo acoustic)
Disarm
(Billy solo acoustic)
By Starlight
Heavy Metal Machine

Some amazing versions of Shame, by starlight, HVM, Tonight, tonight...A stich in time is was better acoustic than the Teargarden version...overall a great show.

Some great setlists here. VinylGuy, you got the only full version of "By Starlight" they've played since reforming.

As for my show, it was great but not as great as it could have been. The Porcelina > Behold the Night Mare opening combo was sick and I really liked all the Machina stuff they played (5 songs from that era!) but it could have been so much better if they'd played some of the stuff they played at other legs of that tour in place of stuff like "Come On (Let's Go)", that awful electric version of "Daydream" and "I Don't Mind" (which wasn't bad, but not great). I would have done this to the setlist:

Behold! The Night Mare
Bring the Light
Tonight, Tonight
Mayonaise
Try, Try, Try
Superchrist
>Hummer (Come On Let's Go!)
Stellar
Perfect (acoustic)
Lily (My One and Only)
The Rose March
Today
Tarantula
Stand Inside Your Love
Ava Adore
Starla (Drown)
1979 (acoustic)
My Blue Heaven
The Everlasting Gaze
> Wasted Years (tease)
Siva (Daydream)
Drown (Wound)
United States

Encore:
Muzzle (I Don't Mind)
Cherub Rock

Pearl Jam shows:
Champaign 4/23/2003
Chicago 6/18/2003
St. Louis 10/05/2004
Portland 7/20/2006
Gorge 7/22/2006
Ridgefield 9/26/2009
Philadelphia 10/31/2009

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:28 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

matt reeder wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
southp wrote:

Rocket
Drown
Bring the Light
United States
Pomp and Circumstances
Tonight, Tonight
Tarantula
Stand Inside Your Love
Zero
Perfect
Set the Ray to Jerry
Superchrist
Doomsday Clock
I Love Rock 'n' Roll
Encore:
Ava Adore
Cherub Rock

The Fellowship
Lonely Is the Name
Today
Astral Planes
Ava Adore
A Song for a Son
Eye
United States
Spangled
To Sheila
Cherub Rock
Zero
Shame
Freak
Tonight, Tonight
Stand Inside Your Love
Tarantula
Encore:
A Stitch in Time
(Billy solo acoustic)
Disarm
(Billy solo acoustic)
By Starlight
Heavy Metal Machine

Some great setlists here. VinylGuy, you got the only full version of "By Starlight" they've played since reforming.

As for my show, it was great but not as great as it could have been. The Porcelina > Behold the Night Mare opening combo was sick and I really liked all the Machina stuff they played (5 songs from that era!) but it could have been so much better if they'd played some of the stuff they played at other legs of that tour in place of stuff like "Come On (Let's Go)", that awful electric version of "Daydream" and "I Don't Mind" (which wasn't bad, but not great). I would have done this to the setlist:

Behold! The Night Mare
Bring the Light
Tonight, Tonight
Mayonaise
Try, Try, Try
Superchrist
>Hummer (Come On Let's Go!)
Stellar
Perfect (acoustic)
Lily (My One and Only)
The Rose March
Today
Tarantula
Stand Inside Your Love
Ava Adore
Starla (Drown)
1979 (acoustic)
My Blue Heaven
The Everlasting Gaze
> Wasted Years (tease)
Siva (Daydream)
Drown (Wound)
United States

Encore:
Muzzle (I Don't Mind)
Cherub Rock

By starlight was, indeed, amazing...it sounded so, so good...its amazing how good they do some songs they never play it live...like this years´s quiet...it was so good.
How was Ginger Reyes?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:59 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

been watching some moments of the if all goes wrong dvd, the documentary from the 2007 tour....what are your thoughts on that one Matt?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:33 pm 
Got Some

VinylGuy wrote:
been watching some moments of the if all goes wrong dvd, the documentary from the 2007 tour....what are your thoughts on that one Matt?

I don't own it. It came out at a time during which I had very little money and couldn't afford to buy music DVDs or anything like that. The setlist didn't really appeal to me either at that point.

I'll buy virtually anything from the first period of the band's existence (1988-2000) but I'm far more selective about stuff from this period. I didn't even see them in 2010 when they came to Portland, opting instead to go see Titus Andronicus on the same night at 1/4 the price.

Pearl Jam shows:
Champaign 4/23/2003
Chicago 6/18/2003
St. Louis 10/05/2004
Portland 7/20/2006
Gorge 7/22/2006
Ridgefield 9/26/2009
Philadelphia 10/31/2009

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:18 am 
Unthought Known

I'm considering getting tix to the pumpkins show Saturday.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:00 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

Well, that's just pretty as fuck, but I don't have $133 bucks to spend on it. :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:08 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Apparently, Amazon Canada accidentally had the vinyl of MCIS up for $27 yesterday. They have since fixed the issue. God damnit.

"The real truth about it is: no one gets it right / The real truth about it is: we’re all supposed to try"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:29 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

i just listened to machina. i still like most of this album and listening tonight made me think it has aged pretty well. that or i'm so down on 99% of what's come out since then that this just sounds remarkable in comparison.

the first three minutes or whatever on glass + the ghost children is still one of my favorite musical pieces the band ever did.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:46 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

AndySlash wrote:
i just listened to machina. i still like most of this album and listening tonight made me think it has aged pretty well. that or i'm so down on 99% of what's come out since then that this just sounds remarkable in comparison.

the first three minutes or whatever on glass + the ghost children is still one of my favorite musical pieces the band ever did.

i hate machina...its my fault, i know because i can telll some of the songs there are great, but i just can´t listen to it...i only like 3 songs, everlasting gaze, try try try and heavy metal machine...the rest..i just cant listen to it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:12 pm 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

VinylGuy wrote:
AndySlash wrote:

i hate machina...its my fault, i know because i can telll some of the songs there are great, but i just can´t listen to it...i only like 3 songs, everlasting gaze, try try try and heavy metal machine...the rest..i just cant listen to it.

Stand Inside Your Love is one of the best singles Corgan ever wrote.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:25 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

zeb wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
AndySlash wrote:

Stand Inside Your Love is one of the best singles Corgan ever wrote.

its a great song but i cant stand the machina version....i prefer it acoustic or live.
I have a problem with the production and mixing of that record.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands