Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2012-2013 NBA Thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:53 pm 
Got Some

Electromatic wrote:
All they have to do is just not offer these deals. It's kind of silly really. On one hand, they know the guys aren't going to be worth it. IE. Joe Johnson, but on the other they know guys like Joe will get you into the post season, deep even, he just won't win you a damn thing.

Eventually that guy you signed to a max deal is going to get you fired, even though you may keep a job for a a year or two longer.

Except you also have to have faith that some other team won't sign the guy to the deal you think he's not worthy of, and that's probably never gonna happen. There will always e a team out there with no stars who figures it's worth it to overpay a guy.

In the end, these new CBA rules probably make disparity worse. Big markets can still pony up for 3 guys on max contracts and just pay the tax, but few teams will be willing to do that. So your mid market clubs will end up in the same bad position OKC was in.

I disagree with trading Harden. But I also think it's a pretty terrible system when OKC built a brilliant team through the draft ... and their reward for successfully drafting three guys worthy of a max contract is for the league to say, "You either have to pay a huge tax on them, or break up the team you built from the ground up." I know it's not simple, but I feel like there should be exceptions in all this for guys who you drafted, if you want to keep them around.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:54 pm 
In a van down by the river

the problem with the contracts is a team wants to keep their players and nothing can prevent another team from making an offer to your player who is borderline good/great if they think it will help them

A) win
B) with the fans to show they are trying

if the league wanted to save costs and get rid of the insane contracts then they would have a sliding pay scale based on years in the league. if you tried to pay due to stats it would be an even more selfish league

year pay
1 700K
2 900K
3 1.2M
4 1.5M
up to say year 10
then go
11-13 3.0M
14-15 3.5M

this way each team can have a shot at a player in FA. you will also have a bonus structure based on what that player does for their team. Pts, Rbs, etc in order to make more money. to prevent players from leaving smaller markets make it so that if a player leaves one team for another he loses 2 years on the scale or something.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:19 pm 
Unthought Known
 YIM  Profile

mray10 wrote:
I disagree with trading Harden. But I also think it's a pretty terrible system when OKC built a brilliant team through the draft ... and their reward for successfully drafting three guys worthy of a max contract is for the league to say, "You either have to pay a huge tax on them, or break up the team you built from the ground up." I know it's not simple, but I feel like there should be exceptions in all this for guys who you drafted, if you want to keep them around.

That's definitely a problem. In the NBA you truly can buy your way to championships. Look at the last 10 title teams. I do agree that teams should have more control over the players they draft or trade for on their first contracts. I like the way the MLB system is for that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:08 pm 
Supersonic

Why were the Heat still wearing uniforms last night with the NBA trophy on them?

Isn't this typically reserved for the two teams that make the NBA Finals?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:23 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Coach wrote:
Why were the Heat still wearing uniforms last night with the NBA trophy on them?

Maybe because they got their rings last night? I hope they ditch their warm ups after last night. They were hideous.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:43 pm 
Supersonic

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Coach wrote:

Maybe because they got their rings last night? I hope they ditch their warm ups after last night. They were hideous.

I think they are the first team in NBA histroy to do this, especially if they wear them all season long. It's a cocky move.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:14 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Coach wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Coach wrote:

I think they are the first team in NBA histroy to do this, especially if they wear them all season long. It's a cocky move.

Cocky and ugly.

So, James Harden had a pretty good Halloween.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:24 pm 
Unthought Known
 YIM  Profile

Lakers looking good. Relying on 38 year old Nash, Steve Blake, a soft as can be Dwight Howard, an even softer Gasol and that horrific bench is not going to end well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:02 pm 
statistically insignificant

yeah no way james harden is worth the max

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:02 pm 
Stone's Bitch

jimmac24 wrote:
Lakers looking good. Relying on 38 year old Nash, Steve Blake, a soft as can be Dwight Howard, an even softer Gasol and that horrific bench is not going to end well.

Yup, because the Heat started off so well with their 3 guys two years ago. It'll take time. I look for them to snag like the 4-5 playoff spot and be a force in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:40 am 

Monkey_Driven wrote:
jimmac24 wrote:

Yup, because the Heat started off so well with their 3 guys two years ago. It'll take time. I look for them to snag like the 4-5 playoff spot and be a force in the playoffs.

yea, if they were 0-3 id probably panic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:15 am 
Got Some

rather have Ibaka than Harden. Harden is hit and miss as far as offensive production...well, at least in the Finals. at least with Ibaka you know what you are getting, a stud defensively and any offensive outburst from him (15-24 points) is just an added bonus.

enjoying the Knicks game tonight. i'm sure they will end up losing but whatever. i like when Kidd and Felton have been out there together. this is one old ass team though.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:21 am 
Got Some

the Heat let the Knicks win tonight because of Sandy...........

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:44 am 
Unthought Known
 YIM  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
jimmac24 wrote:

They were also much younger, the "big 3" were 28, 25 and 26 and LeBron was already the best player in the league. I think age and Howard's lack of a killer instinct is going to be a problem. Admittedly, I'm a Lakers/Kobe hater. I know it's earrly, we'll see how it plays out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:48 am 
Got Some

jimmac24 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
jimmac24 wrote:

They were also much younger, the "big 3" were 28, 25 and 26 and LeBron was already the best player in the league. I think age and Howard's lack of a killer instinct is going to be a problem. Admittedly, I'm a Lakers/Kobe hater. I know it's earrly, we'll see how it plays out.

Headed to 0-3. I am in the they will be fine camp though.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:52 am 

Peeps wrote:
harden is not worth more than 52m to any team other than OKC when he is in the game with KD and RW. when he played while those two sat he was virtually ineffective.

seems pretty effective to me

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:41 am 

thodoks wrote:
Peeps wrote:
harden is not worth more than 52m to any team other than OKC when he is in the game with KD and RW. when he played while those two sat he was virtually ineffective.

We will see. One game he did great but let's see the long haul

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:50 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

The question isn't if Harden is worth a max, the question is what did the Rockets have to lose? They're going to be swimming in cash because of Lin, and what player out there is going to be available for them to even offer a max contract?

OKC got a big haul from the Rockets and I think they'll lose more regular season games but I'm not so sure if they won't be more effective in the playoffs without him. They needed to keep Ibaka period.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:07 pm 

Peeps wrote:
thodoks wrote:
Peeps wrote:

37 pts in his debut, 45 in his second game

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:10 pm 
Unthought Known

thodoks wrote:
Peeps wrote:
thodoks wrote:
Peeps wrote:

37 pts in his debut, 45 in his second game

Second most points by a player in first 2 games to start a season behind MJ.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports