Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 814 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41
 Post subject: Re: 2012 Presidential Election
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:35 pm 
Unthought Known

turned2black wrote:

That seems like a measured and rational response in the sense that this guy realizes he is part of the problem and is taking steps to get the f*ck away from the rest of us.

*Most actual Libertarians don't support a "strong military" in the context that this blog uses the term. (Party leaders have suggested cutting the defense budget by up to 50%.) "Strong military" is a term for a non-Christian neo-con to use to justify outrageous spending and wars on poor people.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:07 pm 
Master of Meh

¡B! wrote:
When Bush won and all of us liberals said we were moving to Canada, Australia ... whatnot ... where do Republicans threaten to move to? What country is the conservative ideal?

This has been doing the rounds over here quite a bit:

Often followed by:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:42 am 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

simple schoolboy wrote:
broken iris wrote:
¡B! wrote:
When Bush won and all of us liberals said we were moving to Canada, Australia ... whatnot ... where do Republicans threaten to move to? What country is the conservative ideal?

Texas or Singapore

I think on most metrics Canada is freer than the US. Including economic considerations. Republicans can move to Canada too. Their healthcare system is probably less intrusive than Obama care. They probably don't make the Catholic church pay for abortions, for instance

They don't make any organization cover abortions because they're single payer.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:20 am 
Unthought Known

¡B! wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
broken iris wrote:
¡B! wrote:

Texas or Singapore

I think on most metrics Canada is freer than the US. Including economic considerations. Republicans can move to Canada too. Their healthcare system is probably less intrusive than Obama care. They probably don't make the Catholic church pay for abortions, for instance

I'm not saying that is ideal, but that does sound less intrusive than a penaltax with the addition of blatantly violating freedom of conscience, wouldn't you say?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:43 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

simple schoolboy wrote:
¡B! wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
broken iris wrote:
¡B! wrote:

Texas or Singapore

I'm not saying that is ideal, but that does sound less intrusive than a penaltax with the addition of blatantly violating freedom of conscience, wouldn't you say?

I agree with this, but I don't think single payer was feasible in the US at the time (and less so now).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:10 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

How "the takers" voted:

Republican-heavy counties eat up most food stamp growth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:25 pm 
too drunk to moderate properly
 WWW  Profile

dkfan9 wrote:

Maybe those citizens feel guilty about the amount of federal dollars they take, and they strive to be more self-sufficient.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:33 pm 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

¡B! wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:

Maybe those citizens feel guilty about the amount of federal dollars they take, and they strive to be more self-sufficient.

That's probably largely true. On the other hand, it undercuts Romney's "handout" bullshit on why he lost the election---it shows people aren't all voting for the most selfish reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:33 pm 
Unthought Known

dkfan9 wrote:
¡B! wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:

That's probably largely true. On the other hand, it undercuts Romney's "handout" bullshit on why he lost the election---it shows people aren't all voting for the most selfish reasons.

Well, what are we really looking at? I find it hard to believe that federal taxes from NY has offset the cost of TARP bailouts to the banks on Wall Street and the federal services in the state. It may be useful to see income disparity mapped over the same timeframe to see if wealth concentrations in Cali and the NE are distorting this.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:15 am 
Reissued
 WWW  Profile

broken iris wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:
¡B! wrote:
dkfan9 wrote:

Well, what are we really looking at? I find it hard to believe that federal taxes from NY has offset the cost of TARP bailouts to the banks on Wall Street and the federal services in the state. It may be useful to see income disparity mapped over the same timeframe to see if wealth concentrations in Cali and the NE are distorting this.

I bet you're right that it doesn't take into account TARP funds (Not sure, as far as I can tell the pic sans Obama logos comes from The Economist, a fairly centrist but pro-finance mag). But otherwise, it's federal taxes paid vs. federal spending received.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:05 pm 
Unthought Known

The reddest areas are coincidentally the states in the union that are generally the poorest or have the biggest gaps in wealth.

Coal Mining mostly in West Va so they voted for thier jobs essentially.

Mississippi is trying to ramp up manufacturing, but in general it's just an extremely poor state.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:12 pm 
Unthought Known

The standout is California. The state is hugely indebted, but a net giver to the feds?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:39 pm 
Unthought Known

broken iris wrote:
The standout is California. The state is hugely indebted, but a net giver to the feds?

We know they spend spectacular amounts of money but likely the volume of extremely wealthy federal taxpayers in that state offsets the federal expenditures anyway.

As is so common, we see choropleth maps with very little data provided as to how they arrived at said conclusions.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:16 pm 
Supersonic

Yeah, okay. Red states and Republicans are the problem. Draw your own conclusions.

The reddest states actually have the lowest welfare rolls. The south, on the other hand, is loaded with poor minorities who voted Democrat, and carried Democrat counties.

I find those charts about who's a net contributor to the tax base to be dubious. Do you suppose the auto bailout is factored in? Or the bank bailouts? Do you suppose quantitative easing is taken into account? How about defense spending?

Do you think that's all factored in there?

This last election was a measure of a few things: Which counties are reliant on income from the feds - which aren't.

The states with the best employment right now? The Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, Utah, Wyoming, The worst states? All those net contributing blue states, that are all bankrupt.

I'd REALLY like to know the methodology of how they crunch those numbers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 814 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41

Board index » Word on the Street... » News & Debate