Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 647 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
 Post subject: Re: Official Raiders Suck Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:36 pm 
Administrator

So, remember that John Herrera once called Mike Silver "a pot-smoking buddy" of another Bay Area reporter. Well, Silver just unleashed a series of tweets at Herrera/the Raiders while reporting that they would clean house on the defensive side.

Maybe the spirit of Al Davis will continue to infest this franchise.

https://twitter.com/MikeSilver

My source tells me that the #Raiders have in fact fired those four defensive coaches and that John Herrera, thus, is a lying liar
Re: #Raiders, it's a matter of semantics. Team is making them work 'till their contracts officially expire 2 weeks after last game. Al lives
@_nutjob_ I definitely did not make up with John Herrera. That lackey owes me a huge apology and it has not happened.
So, despite what John Herrera says, Bresnahan et al have been told they're gone (effective two weeks from the last game). What a tool he is
This is why a lot of established coaches don't want to work for #Raiders. They play games, instead of just manning up and firing people...
They say, "Oh, you have a year on your contract? You've been reassigned to scouting." Daring them to leave or void contract...
It's Draconian, it's childish and it's dysfunctional. And now Al can't be blamed anymore. No NFL 'executive' is a bigger tool than Herrera
Herrera is a tool. Do you know him? I do. It's my job to identify tools in our world. He's a tool.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:38 pm 
Administrator

Al Davis was the only one that saw anything in this guy.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_19930180

Oakland Raiders release cornerback Stanford Routt
By Jerry McDonald
Oakland Tribune
Posted: 02/09/2012 02:40:52 PM PST
Updated: 02/09/2012 02:57:37 PM PST

The new regime of the Raiders has begun erasing what it believes to be the mistakes of the past, with the first big move coming in the release of cornerback Stanford Routt Thursday.

Routt was signed last offseason to a three-year, $31.5 million contract extension that at the time made him the third-highest paid cornerback in the NFL, just a few days before the NFL lockout began.

Routt was retained by owner Al Davis while at the same time the club made no effort to re-sign Nnamdi Asomugha, who eventually signed with the Philadelphia Eagles.

A later restructure boosted the value of the deal to five years and $54.5 million.

Routt's contract reportedly guaranteed him $20 million, meaning the Raiders could be out that amount depending on wording of the deal.

In 2012, Routt had three interceptions but played inconsistently and led the NFL in penalties with 17.

Following the press conference announcing the hiring of coach Dennis Allen, general manager Reggie McKenzie said the team would begin examining contracts and personnel while putting their financial house in order.

``From where we are, we've got some contracts that are kind of out of whack, but in discussions and viewing the cap situation, we should be fine," McKenzie said. "We don't have to make wholesale changes.''

Routt's release would seem to serve notice that anyone making a big salary on the Raiders' underachieving defense could be affected.

Defensive tackle Richard Seymour is in the second year of a two-year, $30 million extension with $15 million due this season, and linebacker Kamerion Wimbley signed a five-year, $48 million contract, with a reported $29 million in guarantees.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:29 pm 
Administrator

While I'm here bumping old threads, I would be remiss if I didn't take a note of last weekend's game. So glad that the second time I missed this game due to PJ went much, much better than the first time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:24 am 
Got Some

Green Habit wrote:
While I'm here bumping old threads, I would be remiss if I didn't take a note of last weekend's game. So glad that the second time I missed this game due to PJ went much, much better than the first time.

The second half was the most dominant overall thirty minutes of football I've seen a Broncos team play for quite a while. Then again, it was against the Raiders. (Have to keep the theme of the thread going)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:37 pm 
Administrator

I should have bumped this thread right after they got destroyed by the Ravens, but Peter King made sure that I wouldn't forget at all for this week.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... -10/1.html

Quote:
And this from the feud between the late Al Davis -- who fired Mike Shanahan as coach of the Raiders after only 20 games, and balked at paying him the $250,000 remaining on his contract:

Prior to a Raiders-Niners game in 1994, when Shanahan was San Francisco's offensive coordinator, Shanahan admitted directing Steve Young to throw a football at Davis on the field during pregame warmups. Davis had wandered to the 49ers side of the field during warmups to check out the 49ers. Players were complaining to Shanahan about it. Myers got Shanahan, now the Washington coach, to tell him the story inside his Redskins office recently.

Writes Myers:

"Guys, we'll win the game, don't worry about it. Don't let him bother you," Shanahan said.

The end of the 49ers' pregame drill took them back to their own 5- yard line. Davis was standing 35 yards away. "Hey, get him out of there," the players said to Shanahan. Shanahan was pissed at Davis for disrupting his pregame routine. And surely he was still pissed at him for not paying him the $250,000. "Now I started thinking. Okay, so we got one more play left," Shanahan said.

Shanahan is telling this story seated behind his desk at Redskins Park. It's a quiet spring day, but suddenly he's animated. On the sideline, Shanahan's face gets red, and it looks like the veins are about to pop out of his neck when he gets mad. Off the field, you rarely see his emotional side. But he had no use for Davis. Davis had embarrassed him by firing him almost without giving him a chance, and during that pregame Shanahan wanted to put a scare into his nemesis. Shanahan came up with the idea of how to send Davis back to his side of the field and needed one of his quarterbacks to be his accomplice. Young said he was more than happy to oblige.

"Throw a go route," Shanahan told Young. "If you happen to hit that guy in the white outfit with the ball, you won't make me mad." The receiver was Jerry Rice. He ran the go route. Shanahan didn't really want to drill Davis. But if it happened, maybe he would never stand on the 49ers' side of the field again. Of course, if he hit Davis, Shanahan would never get his $250,000. Young dropped back to pass. He threw the ball in Davis's direction. Rice, whom Shanahan did not bring into the loop on this little bit of mischief, was running downfield, looking up for the ball. He was not looking at Davis. He didn't see Davis. Shanahan saw the ball. He saw the receiver. He saw Davis. All three were about to occupy the same spot. Shanahan thought Davis saw the ball coming. He did not.

"Oh, my God," Shanahan said. "I wanted to scare him. I didn't want to kill him." The ball and the receiver were closing in on Davis. "Al realizes that the ball and everybody is coming at him about five yards before there is going to be contact," Shanahan said. "I think he's going to be run over. And he dives; he actually dives out of the way. Well, half of our players see what happens, and they are all laughing." Young drilled Davis in the leg.

It was not surprising that he found his target. Young completed 64.3 percent of his passes in his career. "Ten years after this happened, I was walking out of a stadium on a Monday night, and Al came up to me," Young said. "He told me that he knew it was me." Young told Davis that he was ashamed of himself, more so than with anything else he had ever done. He then sent him a letter of apology.

Shanahan is so fired up that he gets out of his seat to finish the story. He loves this story. It was revenge. He explains in great detail Davis diving on the grass at Candlestick Park, getting to his feet, his hair falling down in front of his face. Davis stared him down from 35 yards away and gave him the middle finger.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:28 am 
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:46 am 
Administrator

The NFL Network guys are trying to interview Von Miller and there are still Raiders fans in the background booing him and chanting "Broncos Suck" despite getting swept and seeing their team go to 3-10. Typical Black Hole, I guess.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 647 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports