Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1776 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2012 MLB Thread
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:22 pm 
Supersonic

mick7184 wrote:
It's not stupid at all, if he was so fucking fantastic he wouldnt have been traded 4 times before he hit age 30.

Jose Bautista was left unprotected in the Rule 5 draft, waived twice, traded for Justin Huber, used as a throw-in in another trade, and traded for Robinson Diaz before he turned 28. David Ortiz was used as a PTBNL in a trade for Dave Hollins and was later released by the Minnesota Twins. Pedro Martinez was traded twice before he turned 26. I guess the Dodgers and Expos knew there was something wrong with him.

mick7184 wrote:
The Marlins traded him for Ugeth Urbina, who was a good closer, but you dont trade a player you think is going to be a franchise player just to get a good closer for the stretch run.

Gonzalez was a valuable young player who was used to bring in a closer to help push the team over the top. Oddly enough, it did get them over the top and helped them win the World Series that year.

mick7184 wrote:
The Rangers traded him for a medicore starter and a decent reliever

When the Rangers made that trade they had horrendous pitching and Mark Teixeira at first. They didn't trade Gonzalez because of some character issues; they traded him because he was a redundant asset and they had other positions of need.

mick7184 wrote:
After a season in which he completely fell apart in the second half and disappeared as his team was spinning down the drain to a historic collapse

I'm pretty sure I already mentioned it, but Gonzalez had a huge September in 2011. Say what you will about comments he made to the media, but David Ortiz and Kevin Youkilis disappeared during the callapse... Gonzalez improved.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:31 pm 
Unthought Known

PhilPritchard wrote:
mick7184 wrote:
It's not stupid at all, if he was so fucking fantastic he wouldnt have been traded 4 times before he hit age 30.

PhilPritchard wrote:
Jose Bautista was left unprotected in the Rule 5 draft, waived twice, traded for Justin Huber, used as a throw-in in another trade, and traded for Robinson Diaz before he turned 28. David Ortiz was used as a PTBNL in a trade for Dave Hollins and was later released by the Minnesota Twins. Pedro Martinez was traded twice before he turned 26. I guess the Dodgers and Expos knew there was something wrong with him.

All of those players were guys who were late bloomers and surprised all of baseball, Gonzalez was the number 1 pick in the draft.

mick7184 wrote:
The Marlins traded him for Ugeth Urbina, who was a good closer, but you dont trade a player you think is going to be a franchise player just to get a good closer for the stretch run.

PhilPritchard wrote:
Gonzalez was a valuable young player who was used to bring in a closer to help push the team over the top. Oddly enough, it did get them over the top and helped them win the World Series that year.

Again, Gonzalez was the #1 pick in the draft, not a mere "valuable young player."

mick7184 wrote:
The Rangers traded him for a medicore starter and a decent reliever

PhilPritchard wrote:
When the Rangers made that trade they had horrendous pitching and Mark Teixeira at first. They didn't trade Gonzalez because of some character issues; they traded him because he was a redundant asset and they had other positions of need.

Fine, they traded from a position of strength to fill a need, but Gonzalez was the one they let go, not Teixeira, even though Teixeira was to hit free agency sooner and was represented by Scott Boras.

mick7184 wrote:
After a season in which he completely fell apart in the second half and disappeared as his team was spinning down the drain to a historic collapse

PhilPritchard wrote:
I'm pretty sure I already mentioned it, but Gonzalez had a huge September in 2011. Say what you will about comments he made to the media, but David Ortiz and Kevin Youkilis disappeared during the callapse... Gonzalez improved.

This is misleading at best, Ortiz and Youkilis were both hurt down the stretch run, and Gonzalez did not have a huge September 2011, he was completely useless that entire month, and anyone who watched this team daily that year knows that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:14 am 
Supersonic

mick...I disagree with you 100 percent, so I'm not going to belabor the point here.

RA Dickey...man, the Jays are having a nifty little off-season.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:10 am 
Supersonic

mick7184 wrote:
This is misleading at best, Ortiz and Youkilis were both hurt down the stretch run, and Gonzalez did not have a huge September 2011, he was completely useless that entire month, and anyone who watched this team daily that year knows that.

He had a .977 OPS in September. That's huge. I think your expectations might be a bit too high if you consider that "completely useless."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:14 am 
Supersonic

Coach wrote:
mick...I disagree with you 100 percent, so I'm not going to belabor the point here.

I'm becoming more and more at peace with the price the Jays paid to get Dickey. They have a bunch of great players on good contracts in the prime of their careers... might as well go for it now.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:48 pm 
Supersonic

PhilPritchard wrote:
Coach wrote:

I'm becoming more and more at peace with the price the Jays paid to get Dickey. They have a bunch of great players on good contracts in the prime of their careers... might as well go for it now.

of course! especially with the yanks, sox down.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:25 pm 
Reissued

Yeah I agreed with your post the other day, Phil. Dickey, to me, is high-risk, high-reward. He might completely tank (AL East line-ups), but a knuckleballer is way less hampered by age than anyone else and he pitched consistently well last year to the extent that you wouldn't really call it a fluke. And I think it is really similar to the Royals trade, except the Jays already have the parts in-place to make a run. The Rays look like their toughest competition (Baltimore can't sustain the insane luck they had last year--the split between their expected run total based on sabermetrics and their actual run totals was insane) and they already had some talent there. Should be interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:35 pm 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

Gotta love the Jays and O's going for it knowing the Yanks and Sox are kinda at odd points
Just hope they dont mortgage the next 10 years for 1 or 2 years ala the Marlins...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:28 am 
a joke

What exactly are the O's doing to "go for it?"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:13 am 
Supersonic

Skitch Patterson wrote:

They re-signed Nate McLouth!

I don't feel like the Jays have mortgaged the future at all. They still have a decent enough system, and Anthopoulos put the current system together in 3 years. Now they have three years where they should be really good while he builds it back up again. Obviously that's kind of an ideal situation, but it makes sense.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:37 pm 
Unthought Known

I don't know how good the catcher the Ray's gave up will be, but I like Josh Thole. I think he's a solid MLB catcher.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:04 pm 
a joke

PhilPritchard wrote:
Skitch Patterson wrote:

They re-signed Nate McLouth!

I don't feel like the Jays have mortgaged the future at all. They still have a decent enough system, and Anthopoulos put the current system together in 3 years. Now they have three years where they should be really good while he builds it back up again. Obviously that's kind of an ideal situation, but it makes sense.

Yeah. Him bringing up the O's just baffled me. They are doing the smart thing, for their situation. They know last year was flukey, so instead of trying to make the "win now" move, they are going to continue to let their players develop, and go from there. I just think they should deal JJ Hardy to let Machado play short.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:44 pm 
Supersonic

Electromatic wrote:
I don't know how good the catcher the Ray's gave up will be, but I like Josh Thole. I think he's a solid MLB catcher.

I think I like Thole too. He put up some OK numbers before last year... he obviously has no power, but before last season his career OBP was .350. That's pretty awesome for a backup catcher.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:05 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

I am ready to concede Theo may not be a genius.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:05 am 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

With the O's it wasnt so much moves, as much as it was team wide saying hey, we can do it this year, lets go. If they were say, the Pirates theyd have already traded away Hardy, and if they were the Marlins theyd have traded Hardy and Machado...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:08 am 
Red Mosquito, my libido

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
With the O's it wasnt so much moves, as much as it was team wide saying hey, we can do it this year, lets go. If they were say, the Pirates theyd have already traded away Hardy, and if they were the Marlins theyd have traded Hardy and Machado...

Why would they trade a league minimum guy with 6 years of Club control?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:32 am 
Supersonic

I would be pretty shocked if the Orioles don't finish last in the division this year.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:29 am 
Reissued

Wait, really? I think there's a chance the O's finish last, sure--they had so many things go right for them that will be hard to repeat--but I think between Boston's rotation and NY's infield, there's no reason to think the O's are destined for the basement (to not even speak of the questions about the Jays, the Rays, or the Os ability to improve from within).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:39 pm 
Supersonic

Mickey wrote:
Wait, really? I think there's a chance the O's finish last, sure--they had so many things go right for them that will be hard to repeat--but I think between Boston's rotation and NY's infield, there's no reason to think the O's are destined for the basement (to not even speak of the questions about the Jays, the Rays, or the Os ability to improve from within).

I see the Jays being a lot better, the Sox being better, the Rays staying the same and the Yankees falling back a bit... but I still don't see them falling off as far as the O's. They've got some good young players in place, but it really did take a lot of things breaking right for them, including a ton of luck all season, for them to put up the record they did last year. I just can't see that trend keeping up for another season.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:45 am 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

cutuphalfdead wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:

Why would they trade a league minimum guy with 6 years of Club control?

Was being sarcastic saying the Marlins and Pirates trade off young talent for more young talent before ever seeing if young talent will gel lol

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1776 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Sports