Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3338 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 167  Next
 Post subject: *The OFFICIAL Neil Young Thread*
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:13 am 
Force of Nature
 YIM  Profile

I am sure there has been a ton of these but Neil is a Rock God and discussions about your favorite Neil songs, albums, concerts, news, or anything Neil for here.
I been listening to Zuma alot the last few days and i keep watching Live In Berlin because thats is one awesome performance. The Trans songs sound great on there and Neil just totally rocks his balls off. I also got a cd copy of Time Fades Away and it is a shame that it is not published on cd because "Don't Be Denied", "L.A.", "Last Dance", and "Love In Mind" are among his best. Long live the shakey one!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:24 am 
Supersonic

The only Young albums I've really listened to enough are After the Gold Rush and Mirrorball, which I bought mainly for PJ. I've got some of his other albums downloaded but I haven't given them a proper listen yet. "Cortez the Killer" is frickin amazing, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:32 am 
Got Some
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

I love Neil Young. My favorite of his albums is Ragged Glory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:32 am 
Unthought Known

I just want to establish some love for Ragged Glory early on in this thread.

Where's PunkDavid?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:33 am 
Unthought Known

Wow, Pat H beat me to it. Nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:33 am 
Force of Nature

I saw him on the Greendale tour two summers ago and he was amazing. I love that album. On The Beach is another fav of mine. Ambulance Blues is probably my favorite song.

Heard one person starve, I heard many people laughin'...."
-Bob Dylan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:34 am 
Got Some
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

inadvertent imitation wrote:

Where's PunkDavid?

you love ragged glory too?

awesome.

glad to see that someone else feels the same way as I do about that album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:35 am 
Got Some
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

inadvertent imitation wrote:
Wow, Pat H beat me to it. Nice.

and you beat me to a reply

damn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:35 am 
Of Counsel

You rang?

This is a thread I've thought about starting at times, I'm glad someone other than me had the idea too.

Let's try to keep it on the front page forever.

Post subject: Re: *The Neil Young Thread*
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:41 am 
Of Counsel

Mrmattsitwrame wrote:
I am sure there has been a ton of these but Neil is a Rock God and discussions about your favorite Neil songs, albums, concerts, news, or anything Neil for here.
I been listening to Zuma alot the last few days and i keep watching Live In Berlin because thats is one awesome performance. The Trans songs sound great on there and Neil just totally rocks his balls off. I also got a cd copy of Time Fades Away and it is a shame that it is not published on cd because "Don't Be Denied", "L.A.", "Last Dance", and "Love In Mind" are among his best. Long live the shakey one!!

I really dig Live In Berlin. First of all, Neil's clothes are awful, that green jacket he wears for the first song is about as bad fashion as I've ever seen. Nils Lofgren dances around like a silly idiot throughout, as if the people are there to see HIM. :lol: But some of the performances are really superb. Little Thing Called Love is much better than the studio version, and Ben Keith fucking rips it up on the slide on that tune. Sample And Hold is awesome, Like A Hurricane with "Neil versus his necktie" is an amazing sight, and "Berlin" is one of my all-time favorite Neil songs to close the show. That was the only performance of Berlin ever, and it sounds great.

BTW, keep the TFA HDCD on the DL, dig? We're not supposed to have that, and it's not to be traded, you Lucky Dog, you. :wink:

Post subject: Re: *The Neil Young Thread*
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:46 am 
Got Some
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

punkdavid wrote:
Mrmattsitwrame wrote:

I really dig Live In Berlin. First of all, Neil's clothes are awful, that green jacket he wears for the first song is about as bad fashion as I've ever seen. Nils Lofgren dances around like a silly idiot throughout, as if the people are there to see HIM. :lol: But some of the performances are really superb. Little Thing Called Love is much better than the studio version, and Ben Keith fucking rips it up on the slide on that tune. Sample And Hold is awesome, Like A Hurricane with "Neil versus his necktie" is an amazing sight, and "Berlin" is one of my all-time favorite Neil songs to close the show. That was the only performance of Berlin ever, and it sounds great.

BTW, keep the TFA HDCD on the DL, dig? We're not supposed to have that, and it's not to be traded, you Lucky Dog, you. :wink:

I'll have to pick up that DVD, as it is the only one I can find anymore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:53 am 
Of Counsel

dyingonahilltop wrote:
The only Young albums I've really listened to enough are After the Gold Rush and Mirrorball, which I bought mainly for PJ. I've got some of his other albums downloaded but I haven't given them a proper listen yet. "Cortez the Killer" is frickin amazing, though.

See this thread for recommendations on which Neil to start with:
http://forums.theskyiscrape.com/vie ... php?t=8781

The "Best Shitty Neil Albums" Thread:
http://forums.theskyiscrape.com/vie ... php?t=3646

Another "Essential Neil" thread (which includes my top to bottom list of Neil albums):
http://forums.theskyiscrape.com/vie ... hp?t=10898

Top Ten Neil songs thread:
http://forums.theskyiscrape.com/viewtopic.php?t=806

Now go and get thee On The Beach and Tonight's The Night and call me in the morning.

Last edited by punkdavid on Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:09 am 
Of Counsel

Pat H wrote:
I love Neil Young. My favorite of his albums is Ragged Glory.

inadvertant imitation wrote:

Where's PunkDavid?

I love Ragged Glory. I ranked it #3 in my list, but I'd never begrudge anyone who ranked it #1. Incredible that he made an album this great that late in his career, even if the first two songs actually date back to the mid-70's. Over And Over is one of my favorite Neil tunes, but for some reason, there is only one known performance of it, 11-13-90 at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. BTW, if you like Ragged Glory, you must track down this show. It is a first class sounding audience recording, 3 sets of balls-out electric nirvana including incredible performances of Love And Only Love, Love To Burn, Surfer Joe (kicks all kinds of ass), and the one and only known live performance of T-Bone.

Ragged Glory might have been the first Neil album I ever got on CD (I had my dad's old copies of a few earl ones on vinyl), and it was a gift from a high school friend. He had reviewed it for our school newspaper, and the editor had lost the liner notes when she made the picture for the paper. My friend was so pissed of, he went out and bought a new copy for himself and gave me the old copy without liners. He did me one better though. He hand drew the pictures from the front and back of the liner notes on an index card, and I still have the artwork in my copy.

Here it is:

Don't Spook The Horse, bitches!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:20 am 
Force of Nature
 YIM  Profile

Weld is also Top-notch. I have that on video too, thats a damn good performance. Live Rust is amazing too. There are very few things Neil has done that i don't dig. Alot of his fans hate Landing On Water, but I think its got some great stuff on there and I love Trans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:26 am 
Supersonic

Tonight's the Night, Sleeps with Angels, Rust Never Sleeps and Greendale are all masterpieces, IMHO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:38 am 
Force of Nature
 WWW  Profile

Neil is the fucking man. That's all I really need to said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:50 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

neil's live music is the best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:57 am 
Of Counsel

jeremyvedder wrote:
neil's live music is the best!

Live Music Is Better. Bumper Stickers Should Be Issued.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:21 am 
Force of Nature

I only have Harvest, After the Gold Rush and On the Beach and they're all brilliant.
I am thinking of getting Everybody Knows This is Knowhere and Tonights the Night next.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:54 am 
Got Some

Neil Young is incredible. I think he deserves to be held in a respect closer to Bob Dylan than he is by many rock critics. Which isn't to say Bob Dylan isn't deserving of all the credit he gets, just Neil Young should be getting a lot of the same. Anywho, rock critics are stupid so who cares.

I need On the Beach. So many people on this board list this as there favorite and I've never heard it. I feel deprived.

And yes Ragged glory is awesome.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3338 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 167  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands