Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 167  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:13 pm 
Banned from the Pit
 WWW  Profile

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:29 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

nice picture

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:41 pm 
Of Counsel

I heard Neil's new song from Live 8.

Um, I thought it sucked. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:52 pm 
Force of Nature

punkdavid wrote:

What other songs did he play?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:31 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Arc is stupid. But Neil is cool.

More informed opinions on the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:26 pm 
Of Counsel

DirtyFrank wrote:
punkdavid wrote:

What other songs did he play?

Four Strong Winds / When God Made Me (new song) / Rockin' In The Free World / O Canada

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:12 pm 
Force of Nature

I currently own NO Neil Young music...

I had a big vinyl collection that I sold. Never got around to replacing the Neil Young stuff. Waiting for it to be remastered...

Bit odd, he honestly is one of my favourite artists. Thing is, I got into playing his songs on acoustic guitar, so now whenever I want to hear a particular song I just pick up my guitar and play it myself.

Anyway, for me Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere and After The Goldrush were the two greats, standing out from the rest for Danny Whitten's backing vocals and Neil's strongest songs.

I'd probably take Rust Never Sleeps next. Close between that and On The Beach but the electric side of Rust has the edge.

Above everything else.....Neil's greatest song - Winterlong. (It's on Decade.) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:32 pm 
Got Some

I just saw Re•ac•tor on vinyl at my super secret vinyl connection the other day. SOuld I pick it up?

banditoshu wrote:
Never say give up
[url=http://]contractor memphis roofing[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:50 pm 
Force of Nature
 YIM  Profile

Plastic Soul wrote:
I just saw Re•ac•tor on vinyl at my super secret vinyl connection the other day. SOuld I pick it up?

Its kind of just a bunch of silly, dumb rock tunes. But they do rock. Its definately worth checking out but its far from Neil and Crazy Horses's best.
Opera Star, Souther Pacific, and Shots are great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:52 am 
Of Counsel

Plastic Soul wrote:

Only if it's cheap and new. If it's used, you may as well pick it up on CD. A few years ago, before it was released on CD, I was very psyched to find a sealed copy on vinyl, but now it's not such a big deal.

Reactor is big dumb rock, but it's a lot of fun, and it has a couple of great songs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:47 am 
Of Counsel

BTW, torrents of Neil's Live 8 set (audio or video) are currently flying at http://www.rustradio.org/tracker/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:23 am 
Force of Nature

i consider myself quite the neil freak.

Rust never sleeps, everybody knows this is nowhere, and greendale are to me his 3 best. after the goldrush is an essential along with on the beach. Zuma is pure gold as well...hell almost all of them are great

but ragged glory, i could never get into the full album. I mean singular songs are great and the arc/weld tour was fucking amazing, but whenever i listen to ragged glory start to end it seems some what repetitve, but the songs there are still quality, but to me not as one continuous flow, like say rust never sleeps establishes pure genius as.

the rust never sleeps concert on dvd is one of my top 3 concerts ever. you get beauties like an acoustic comes a time, sugar mountain, hey hey my my, cortze, and an all in all perfect set list

has anybody else here gotten either of the neil compilations archives be damned or rock n roll cowboy?

his rarities are bliss. you have not heard peak neil until you have heard sixty to zero and ordinary people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:25 am 
Force of Nature

punkdavid wrote:
Plastic Soul wrote:

Only if it's cheap and new. If it's used, you may as well pick it up on CD. A few years ago, before it was released on CD, I was very psyched to find a sealed copy on vinyl, but now it's not such a big deal.

Reactor is big dumb rock, but it's a lot of fun, and it has a couple of great songs.

i have reactor on vinyl...that album sucks.

there are one or two solid songs. but the song t bone....horrid horrid horrid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:33 am 
AnalLog

All I've listened to is Live Rust, and it's great. I think I have After the Goldrush on my computer somewhere.

Always do the right thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:30 am 
Of Counsel

Neil has worked with many great musicians over the years, but who is your favorite Neil collaborator? Not your favorites band, so don't say "Crazy Horse", but favorite individual?

Mine is Ben Keith. He's probably played on more Neil records than just about anyone else. His first record with Neil was Harvest, and then he was everywhere with Neil straight through the doom trilogy. He was a member of The Stray Gators on Harvest and Time Fades Away, the Santa Monica Flyers on TTN and is the only musician on every track of On The Beach besides Neil. He appeared on every one of Neil's albums from Harvest to the current as yet unnamed album in the works in Nashville, except for Landing On Water, Mirrorball, Are You Passionate?, and any albums that were "Neil Young and Crazy Horse". He was also Grandpa in the Greendale film and stage production.

Just check out this C.V.
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... pn39ffo~T4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:24 pm 
Force of Nature

I have a bunch of Neil on vinyl from my dad's collection. I got to see him in 1996 or 97 (Neil, not my dad) on the HORDE festival tour. The guitar solos were like a wall of sound.

Buffalo 10.01.96, Washington DC 06.14.98, Pittsburgh 08.25.98, Cleveland 08.26.98, Cincinatti 08.20.00, Columbus 08.21.00, Pittsburgh 09.05.00, Cleveland 04.25.03, Pittsburgh 04.26.03, State College 05.03.03, Grand Rapids 10.03.04, Cleveland 05.20.06

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:34 pm 
Force of Nature

Paulie Walnuts wrote:
I have a bunch of Neil on vinyl from my dad's collection. I got to see him in 1996 or 97 (Neil, not my dad) on the HORDE festival tour. The guitar solos were like a wall of sound.

I saw Neil at the HORDE in 97 too. That was a good HORDE tour with Neil, Beck and Primus I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:55 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

I just picked up the Live In Berlin DVD, I'll post my thoughts on it later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:40 pm 
Got Some
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

I liked the Live in Berlin DVD, even the other guitarist annoyed the hell out of me, all the performances were great, but I can only stand so much of that voice box thingy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:50 am 
Supersonic

punkdavid wrote:
He was also Grandpa in the Greendale film and stage production.

Sold.

I picked up three live Neil records a few days ago...Weld, Live Rust, and the Unplugged. I had eighteen studio discs, but nothing live, so I went balls out. All I've listened to so far is Weld, and that thing kicks my ass. In fact, I think I'll give it a spin now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 167  Next

Board index » Word on the Street... » Other Bands