Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 86  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:34 pm 
Johnny Guitar

I couldnt figure out which album was my favorite, so I picked Lost Dogs. Its too hard to pick a favorite album, because it usually depends on what type of mood I am in. Lost Dogs is not a true album, so that is why I picked it. I couldn't possibly say one of the albums is better than the rest, because that is non sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:37 pm 
Supersonic

TS808 wrote:
Surely Ten is clearly their best album. Album sales are clearly higher than all the others.

My new favorite line ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:14 am 
Banned from the Pit

I guess I'm in the minority, because Vs is my favorite. Binaural is my least favorite followed closely by No Code. Yield, Ten, Vitalogy, and Riot Act are all just below Vs on my list.

Ten has some of PJ's biggest hits - all excellent songs well deserving of the accolades - but I think we've all heard them so many times we've grown de-sensitized to how good they are. If I were to choose a PJ album to listen to, I'd probably choose Ten last, not because it sucks, but because there are so many times you can listen to certain songs without getting a little bored.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:30 pm 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

TS808 wrote:
Revolver wrote:
Jim wrote:
i know a lot of people who say VS is the worst one.

You can consider me one of them.

Are you mental?

Go, Animal, Daughter, WMA, RVM, Indifference.

Seriously an album with them on is PJ's worst work?

Surely Ten is clearly their best album. Album sales are clearly higher than all the others. 15 million people aren't all idiots.

Nah, last I heard it was something like 59 million that were. But good guess. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:00 pm 
Johnny Guitar

Scrawl Dissolved wrote:
Like someone mentioned earlier, Riot Act is unfocused so you end up with some songs being favorites while others are disliked. Binaural seems to have that problem with many fans as well.

well said !!!

"I WILL SCREAM MY LUNGS OUT TILL IT FILLS THIS ROOM"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:41 pm 
Johnny Guitar

i didn't read all of the replies, so this may have been posted, but you cannot equate Riot Act as being the least popular PJ album based on the results of the "favorite album" poll thread. The poll asks us to vote for our favorite PJ album...based on the poll results you can deduce that less people have named Riot Act as their favorite, but this does not mean that Riot Act is also the least favorite album.

ds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:47 pm 
Banned from the Pit

riot act isnt that good, plain and simple...yet some of the tracks are some of my favs...like cant keep, all or none, half full, thumbing my way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:20 pm 
Johnny Guitar

darkstar wrote:
i didn't read all of the replies, so this may have been posted, but you cannot equate Riot Act as being the least popular PJ album based on the results of the "favorite album" poll thread. The poll asks us to vote for our favorite PJ album...based on the poll results you can deduce that less people have named Riot Act as their favorite, but this does not mean that Riot Act is also the least favorite album.

ds

Good call. Should start another to actually see what one is the least favorite, but I would not vote on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:03 am 
Banned from the Pit
 WWW  YIM  Profile

i must say that Riot Act is my least favorite album by Pearl Jam, but it is by no means a "bad," or even "mediocre" album.

i feel that some songs can drag an album down. I feel that on Riot Act, these songs are 1/2 Full, Help, Help, and Green Desiese.

on an album such as vs or yield, i cannot think of a song of the like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:25 am 
Force of Nature
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Yeah i'd say Riot Act is my least fav PJ album, but it's still better than the majority of what most bands put out these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:51 pm 
Johnny Guitar

I think Binaural was interesting, as it was a little more experimental. Bit like No Code with its world music influences, and Vitalogy with all its weridness.

With Riot Act I think they obviously decided to do a straight ahead Rock album like Yield or Ten.

Problem is I think its a little underwritten....

Some great songs though, notably I Am Mine. All Or None, Can't Keep, Green Disease, You Are.

But it also contains some of my worst PJ Songs : Ghost, Cropduster, Thumbing, Get Right, Half Full etc etc

take these off and add Down & Other Side and you have the album

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:07 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Whats odd, is everyone says there are some "very good" songs and some "very bad" songs, we do not agree on which of the songs are letting the album down. The fact that the album has songs I dont like on it brings the album down as a whole for me.

Get Right
1/2 Full
and Bushleaguer are the 3 kill it for me, Help, Help doesn't make it any better either. But its ok.

Besides those, The rest of the tracks are brilliant and makes me think PJ are headed in a great new direction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:29 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

Gepology wrote:
riot act isnt that good, plain and simple...yet some of the tracks are some of my favs...like cant keep, all or none, half full, thumbing my way

funny how you state it as af act.

funny.

riot act rocks. its a great fucking record. and you are all insane for not liking get right. great guitar riff, kickass bass line, great vocals, kickass drums, ripping solo..and yes..the claps rock.

y'all got no tate!:)

all or none, best closer
great fucking album. and binaural is just as amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:33 pm 
Johnny Guitar
 WWW  Profile

Riot Act probably isn't my favorite but I do think it beats Yield. Yield is great but some songs don't work in my mind. Riot Act is my 3rd favorite PJ album behind No Code & Binaural.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:01 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Binaural is my favorite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:16 am 
Banned from the Pit

Riot Act cannot possibly compare to the brilliance of Yield, Vs, No Code.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:23 am 
Got Some
 YIM  Profile

I think since the songs are over the place, written by differing members of the band, it causes many to be split over which songs are good and which aren't. Its all preference, but it comes down to a lack of consictancy, which i think most agree is the problem with the record.

Post subject: I've said this before....
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:04 am 
Banned from the Pit

Riot Act is a sissified version of the former Pearl Jam. Yes, LBC and Thumbing My Way are nice melodic songs but they lack the fire/emotion that I think PJ used to posess. They are good songs, but not what I expected from this band. Too refined if you will. They're are some real stinkers on RA that can't grow on my no matter how many times I listen.

I yearn for the days of yester year when songs had more emotion and furver like Grievance, Animal, Go, Once etc. Save You sort of captures this. This is not to say that PJ hasn't had plenty of good "softer songs". Obviously there is really good precedent. There are a ton ie: Release, Indifference, Off He Goes, Daughter, etc. The difference for me personally is that these songs seemed to touch me in some way or applied to my life. If they didn't have a direct impact to me personally, I could at least feel the power behind them and the writing. WMA is one such song and is really amazing if you consider what it's about. RA doesn't do it for me. Yeah, I know LBC/Arc is about Rosklide. I was really intrigued as to what the band would write about the incident. I hope working on LBC was theraputic for them but I never thought it captured the emotion of such a devasting event. The song reminds me of something I'd here from a lounge singer somewhere in a smoky bar. Not sure I can acurately put my sentiments into words, but hopefully you get my drift.

The other problem is too much individual member contributions. This splinters the album into too many fragments. The downfall to any great band is the drummer walking into the studio saying, "Hey guys! I got some songs."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:19 am 
Global Moderator

Riot Act has some great tracks but is also uneven. Certain vocal parts seem a bit lazy (ghost would be an awesome song if it was more passionate), Get Right would be great if the lyrics weren't so awful, Bushleaguer gets derailed with its terrible second verse, and while Help help is interesting it's a hard song to love.

On the other hand, the last Pearl Jam album that didn't really have a song that derailed the album at some point was Vs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:32 am 
Banned from the Pit

Riot Act is popular with a lot of the "new" PJ fans of the younger generation, who were around when this one came out. However for the older fans like myself, who lived through all of their albums before....Riot Act is definitely their least impressive. Riot Act cannot touch Vitalogy,No Code, or Ten at any level. I even think Binaural is better than Riot. Hopefully their next album will go back to their strengths as a band.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 86  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam