Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Rate Yellow Ledbetter
5 Stars: One of the best 62%  62%  [ 15 ]
4 Stars: Really good 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
3 Stars: Average 20%  20%  [ 5 ]
2 Stars: Meh 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
1 Star: Bad 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
0 Stars: Awful 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 24
 Post subject: Song of the Moment-And I know and I know....
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:13 pm 
Global Moderator

Yellow Ledbetter

lyrics....who knows. A stab below (not the skyiscrape version)

Unsealed on a porch a letter sat
And it said I wanna leave it again
Once I saw her on a beach of weathered sand
And on the sand I wanna leave it again
On a weekend I wanna wish it on away
And they called and I said that I want what i said
And then I call out again
And the reason oughta' leave her calm I know
I said I know what I wear not the box or the bag

Can you see them
Out on the porch
But they don't wave
I see them round the front way
And I know and I know I don't want to stay
Make me cry

I see I don't know why there's something else
I wanna go my own away
I said I don't I don't know whether it was the box or the bag

Can you see them
Out on the porch
But they don't wave
I see them round the front way
And I know and I know I don't wanna stay at all
I don't wanna stay
I don't wanna stay
I don't wanna stay...

Previous Songs of the Moment
In My Tree
Red Mosquito
Porch
I Got Id
Release
Do The Evolution
Breath
Corduroy
Elderly Woman...
Leash
Hail Hail
Grievance
Love Boat Captain
Even Flow
Black Red Yellow
In Hiding
Can't Keep
Indifference
Insignificance
Whipping
Black
Smile
Push Me Pull Me
Rats
God's Dice
All or None

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Last edited by stip on Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:21 pm 
Father Bitch

Always been a top 5 pj song for me, regardless of the lack of real lyrics. I don't mind the fact that they play this at the end of most shows at all. Always welcome to me. Matter of fact, I feel it's the most fitting end to a Pearl Jam show.

Of all songs tho, I feel this song sounds the most different live (if you discount the new 'in my tree'), compared with the studio version. So different, I can't choose which I like better. I'll just take them both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:22 pm 
Global Moderator

One of my all time favorites, and a serious front runner for the most beautiful song they ever did. Eddie's vocals are amazing and the band is so tight. I've heard people describe Mike's playing as emotional before, and this song is an excellent illustration of that. There is so much longing and wistfulness to it, but there is a strength to it as well. It doesn't sound as ragged or desperate as a Nothing as it seems or All Or None (since we just talked about that one). It sounds like someone is trying to put on a brave front in the face of tragedy.

That it's a sad song is hard to argue. What its about is trickier, especially because these are the ultimate indeciherpable Pearl Jam lyrics. Given the 03 tour it is next to impossible for me to picture this as anything other than a song about war. I have three possible interpretations

1-A letter written home right before a soldier died

2-A letter written home after witnessing a friend die

3-A letter written home bemoaning the fact that the soldier was forced to leave his loved ones (it's hard not to see this as a guy who was just married or just fell in love) to go off and fight.

Some fan made a video for this song, and while it took way too long to get going it was a great concept. It's too bad they didn't make a video for this, even now. It would have been a much more profound political statement than Bushleaguer.

Regardless, it is a song about saying goodbye, and one of the best. It's especially striking because the entire sentiment is conveyed through feeling, instead of lyrics. A testement to the power of Eddie's voice and the ability of the band.

I love this song as a closer but I wish they'd play it clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:28 pm 
Stone's Bitch

stip wrote:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-691624774683269235&q=yellow+ledbetter

Just in case you hadn't seen that.

I'll be back to comment on this in a minute, I'm going to listen to the original, which means digging out the Jeremy single.

proud member of team corduroy_blazer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:32 pm 
Global Moderator

stuzzo wrote:
stip wrote:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-691624774683269235&q=yellow+ledbetter

Just in case you hadn't seen that.

I'll be back to comment on this in a minute, I'm going to listen to the original, which means digging out the Jeremy single.

I hadn't seen it in a while. Thanks :)
Don't you have Lost Dogs? Or RVM?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:34 pm 
Global Moderator

just finsihed watching that. It's a better song clean. They should do it this way at the end of the shows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:34 pm 
Stone's Bitch

stip wrote:
I hadn't seen it in a while. Thanks :)
Don't you have Lost Dogs? Or RVM?

Not on vinyl, no :wink:

proud member of team corduroy_blazer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:38 pm 
AnalLog

this is by far the best song of the moment. good job stip.

its really hard to pin point my favorite pearl jam song, but if i had to choose this would be it. the combination of ed's voice and mikes guitar is amazing. i think the lyrics really take a back seat to ed's voice. its almost like it doesnt matter what he's singing b/c he's singing it so brilliantly.

i know alot of people get tired of hearing it close shows, but i dont think i ever will. i think its a great way to end the show, mike wails for a little while and ed just sings whatever he feels like. we joked around at the philly '05 show that some of us werent gonna make it to see yellow ledbetter. we all made it though, it was great. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:49 pm 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

My favorite version of all time is from State College 2003. My brother had just gotten back from Afghanistan (being in the army), and together we saw both shows in Camden on 7/5 and 7/6 of the same year. That weekend he became a Pearl Jam fan after witnessing them live.

Two days later he had to return to his base in Fort Bragg, NC, and was so impressed with the band he went to the nearest record store and bought all of their albums as well as the State College bootleg. He absolutely loved the version of Yellow Ledbetter on that boot, which had also been my favorite version from that leg of the tour.

In that version, Ed's lyrical improvs are about wishing the war away, having a brother sent to fight the war and the hope that he doesn't come back dead. Its true power would not be known to me until six weeks after that weekend in Camden when my brother got the orders that he was going to Iraq.

I made him a mix CD before he left to help him through the hell he would have to endure and remind him of our brotherhood. YL from State College was the last song. We both listened to that song fanatically while on different sides of the globe. He survived.

That version of the song helped give me hope and stay positive during such a troubling time. So for me, it will always be the definitive rendition of the song. It is pure magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:06 pm 
AnalLog

great story frank.

my fav version is 9/1/00. yeah yeah i was there, but go listen to it, its great. it has my favorite improv line ever.

"heart is broken and there's nothing left to repair, i dont, i dont know whether it was the box or the bag, oh yea"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:12 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

I love this song. Not too much, but still enough.

My favorite one is the Kitchener one. For personal reasons of course. Currently watching the Toronto 05 one on Google Video. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:13 pm 
Global Moderator

warehouse wrote:

Of course you feel that way. This was your request. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:20 pm 
AnalLog

stip wrote:
warehouse wrote:

Of course you feel that way. This was your request. :wink:
:lol:

if there's a song i would use to show the greatness of pearl jam this is it. find me someone who doesnt like this song...besides cal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:15 pm 
Founding Bitch

I love this song, but I don't often listen to it. Need to rectify this situation :)

Wilderness 1:49-2:04. Diamond Dust.

Window Washer's Dream - Planet Sonata's Intension

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:40 pm 
Resident Frat Dick

I can still remember how giddy I was the first time I heard this one on the radio.

However, it would be nice to see PJ end a show with something other than this for a change.....like maybe Even Flow for example.

9/16/96, 7/21/98, 7/22/98, 11/5/00, 11/6/00, 12/5/02, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 5/30/03, 10/22/03, 9/24/04, 3/18/05, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 7/23/06, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 9/26/09, 9/25/11

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:47 pm 
Of Counsel

I remember when I first got the Jeremy single way back when in 1992 or 93, and one of my friends just thought this was the greatest thing that PJ had ever done. Personally, I never saw what the big deal was, I liked Footsteps A LOT better, still do.

It's a beautiful little guitar workout for Mike (copped from Jimi, but nice nonetheless), but the "lyrics" never really did all that much for me. Something about the opening notes just rub me the wrong way nowadays. Maybe it's the fact that on boots, they are always accompanied by a deafening roar from the crowd, one which I don't feel is fully deserved. I don't think it's because it's been played so much. I'm not one of those people who doesn't like songs simply because other people do, or because I've heard it a hundred times, as evidenced by the fact that I still get the tingle at the opening notes of Even Flow, which I never seem to grow tired of for some reason.

Whatever it is, I've always considered this to be one of PJ most overrated songs, right up there with Nothingman and Hard To Imagine. All good songs (except Nothingman), just overrated. And with this former "rarity" now one of only two songs to make both the Lost Dogs AND Greatest Hits albums, it is becoming more overrated as time goes by.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:07 pm 
Got Some

the greatest b-side ever.

just wish when played live ed would stick to the same lyrics. i bet he does not even know the original lyrics.
the song is even better when you hear it on the radio-i don't know why but it just is .

GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO
GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:14 pm 
Interweb Celebrity

i really love the studio version of this, but i don't like it live. i love the lyrics and way eddie sings it in the studio, and i know, it's an improv song all along, but i can't stand his improv live. the 2003 versions were murder to my ears.

anyways, my buddy learned the lead part on guitar, and i learned the backup in college, and we used to play it while my other roomie played the bongos. it was kick ass.

We gotta watch our backs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:26 pm 
Global Moderator

punkdavid wrote:
Whatever it is, I've always considered this to be one of PJ most overrated songs, right up there with Nothingman and Hard To Imagine. All good songs (except Nothingman), just overrated. And with this former "rarity" now one of only two songs to make both the Lost Dogs AND Greatest Hits albums, it is becoming more overrated as time goes by.

I'm with you on Hard to Imagine. I think nothingman is a gorgeous song, but it doesn't seem to get as much love as I think it deserves on this board. I don't remember how it did in march madness last year but I guess that's a good way to check how overrated a particular song is (i.e.-In My Tree)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:29 pm 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

It's a good song, but I've grown tired of it. When YL comes on when I'm listening to a bootleg or watching a show, I usually turn it off. Played far too often I think.

I also have to mention that I don't enjoy the soloing at the end too much, which is a big part of the song.

punkdavid wrote:
Personally, I never saw what the big deal was, I liked Footsteps A LOT better, still do.

I'm with you on this.

Proud member of the Copenhagen Fap Crew

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam