Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Rate Light Years
Five Stars--As good as it gets 44%  44%  [ 91 ]
Four Stars--A very good song 37%  37%  [ 77 ]
Three Stars--Average for Pearl Jam 12%  12%  [ 26 ]
Two Stars--Don't skip it/don't look for it 2%  2%  [ 6 ]
One Star--This song sucks 2%  2%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 205
 Post subject: SOTM--Your light made us stars
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:32 am 
Global Moderator

Light Years

I've used hammers made out of wood
I have played games with pieces and rules
I undeciphered tricks at the bar
But now you're gone
I haven't figured out why

I've come up with riddles and jokes about war
I've figured out numbers and what they're for
I've understood feelings
And i've understood words
But how could you be taken away?

And wherever you've gone
And wherever we might go
It don't seem fair...today just disappeared
Your light's reflected now
Reflected from afar
We were but stones
Your light made us stars

With heavy breath, awakened regrets
Back pages and days alone that could have been spent, together..
But we were miles apart
Every inch between us becomes light years now
No time to be void or save up on life
You got to spend it all..

And wherever you've gone
And wherever we might go
It don't seem fair...you seemed to like it here
Reflected from afar
We were but stones
Your light made us stars

And wherever you've gone
And wherever we might go
It don't seem fair...today just disappeared
Reflected from afar
We were but stones
Your light made us stars

Previous Songs of the Moment
In My Tree
Red Mosquito
Porch
I Got Id
Release
Do The Evolution
Breath
Corduroy
Elderly Woman...
Leash
Hail Hail
Grievance
Love Boat Captain
Even Flow
Black Red Yellow
In Hiding
Can't Keep
Indifference
Insignificance
Whipping
Black
Smile
Push Me Pull Me
Rats
God's Dice
All or None
Yellow Ledbetter
Last Exit
Who You Are
Rearview Mirror
Hold On
Present Tense

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Last edited by stip on Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:33 am 
Global Moderator

I must confess that I don’t like light years as much as I should. I love the sentiment and there are some beautiful lines in here, but the off kilter music makes it really hard for the song to suck me in. It’s interesting, but doesn't quite convey the appropriate mood.

The subject matter is intense—It’s a far better tribute to the fans who died at Roskilde than love boat captain. I think I would have rather seen them rework the song and rerecord it than write a new one.

The questioning/pleading aspect to the lyrics is quite moving—‘now you’re gone I haven’t figured out why/how can you be taken away’. My wife’s grandfather is currently dying and as anyone who’s been unfortunate enough to go through this experience, it is the senselessness of death that makes the pain even worse.

The second verse is also pretty intense—it gets right to the regrets, the missed opportunities, the guilt, and the anger we feel towards ourselves when we think back on the time wasted when we lose someone. “Every inch between us becomes light years” is a great line. And Light Years understands that the pain that we feel when someone dies is in its own way quite selfish. What do we miss about the person---we miss that WE will no longer be able to see them, to spend time with them. It is our lives that are somehow diminished now that there is one less light in our lives to illuminate us.

But it’s a Pearl Jam song, and what makes their music so special is that it doesn’t wallow in its own sorrow. In the end the song becomes a celebration and remembrance of the person who died. Despite all the regrets, confusion, sadness, and sorrow, the song in the end is a celebration of the people who have made our lives better. Their light made us stars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:34 am 
Global Moderator

A few random light years thoughts/questions

I’ve asked this in other threads, but I’ve never figured out what the ‘hammers made out of wood’ lines refer to. Other people’s thoughts?

For those of you who’ve heard the demo version (which can’t be traded here)—which do you prefer more? The sound quality sucks, but the music is far more moving.

I think light years is MUCH improved live. I do like it on Binaural but it always feels more moving. Some of that might be some of the lines Eddie improvs at the end of it. There is one show where he cries Goodbye at the end of it. It’s probably my favorite version. Anyone remember which one it is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:43 am 
Global Moderator

stip wrote:
A few random light years thoughts/questions

I’ve asked this in other threads, but I’ve never figured out what the ‘hammers made out of wood’ lines refer to. Other people’s thoughts?

For those of you who’ve heard the demo version (which can’t be traded here)—which do you prefer more? The sound quality sucks, but the music is far more moving.

I think light years is MUCH improved live. I do like it on Binaural but it always feels more moving. Some of that might be some of the lines Eddie improvs at the end of it. There is one show where he cries Goodbye at the end of it. It’s probably my favorite version. Anyone remember which one it is?

i love everything about this song, i love it on binaural, love it live and it gets better everytime they play it, and i love the demo. but i cant really say which i like better between the binaural and the demo versons because they are like completely different songs, but i really wish we could get a good sound version of puzzles and games because of how beautiful it sounds with the crapy version that has been around.

great song though, it was my first fav on binaural and is still probably in my revolving top 15 or so :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:47 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

One of my favs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:49 am 
Camden Crew

good song, middle of the pack on binaural for me though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:58 am 
Got Some

Best lyrics on Binaural, and probably one of my top ten PJ songs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:00 am 
Supersonic

Great song. I happen to think if conveys a fantastic mood, although death is hardly senseless and when faced with the loss of loved ones I prefer songs that adulate upon the elixer of life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:02 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

stip wrote:
There is one show where he cries Goodbye at the end of it. It’s probably my favorite version. Anyone remember which one it is?

Pinkpop -- 2000-06-12

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:09 am 
Supersonic
 YIM  Profile

one of my fav pearl jam songs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:10 am 
Global Moderator

I gave it four stars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:15 am 
Got Some

I gave it five stars. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:18 am 
Camden Crew

stip wrote:
I gave it four stars

same

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:20 am 
Founding Bitch
 WWW  Profile

Great choice, stip.

I've always loved this song, but when my Grandma died in 2003 this song hit a little closer to home. This is now her song and it makes it that much more emotional for me. The version from Pink Pop 2000 is my favorite and the "goodbye, I love you" at the end always gets me. Light Years is one of my favorite songs lyrically, vocally, and musically. I love how the drums sound live.

I've understood feelings and I've understood words
but how could you be taken away?
and wherever you've gone
and wherever we might go
it don't seem fair...today just disappeared

When someone dies, it doesn't make any sense, and that is how I felt when my Grandma died.

your light's reflected now, reflected from afar

To me, it means that even though someone is no longer here, physically, they are still with you in another sense.

we were but stones, your light made us stars

This person made a positive impact on everyone that was around them, they made people happier.

At night I drink myself to sleep and pretend
I don't care that you're not here with me
Cause it's so much easier to handle
all my problems if I'm too far out to sea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:24 am 
Global Moderator

TwoAlarmFire wrote:
Great choice, stip.

It was angus' choice. Nice post :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:21 am 
Supersonic

This song is towards the top of the list for me... the music is great and the singing is emotional... but it's the lyrics that make it so good... I think it has some of the best lyrics they've written.

And wherever you've gone
And wherever we might go
It don't seem fair... you seemed to like it here
Reflected from afar
We were but stones
Your light made us stars

Absolutely phenomenal. To me... it's like Eddie is delivering the eulogy to someone. Those last two lines really give me goosebumps... I can't think of anything to say that would be greater praise to someone, and I can't think of a more beautiful way to say it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:32 am 
Force of Nature

Some of the best lyrics I think Ed has ever written but I think that with Binaural they were too concerned with writing songs that don't sound like PJ songs and the final studio version doesn't live up to what I think it could have been. It's still good, though. But not great. I like the musical approach of the demo version much more, thought it does remind me of Given to Fly. The lyrics are really moving, enough to make the final version really great.

And "hammers made out of wood" to me, means having used elements of the physical world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:47 am 
Unthought Known
 WWW  Profile

4 stars, very very good song, but it just doesnt have that intangable to make it 5 star, great song

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:05 am 
Unthought Known

Love this song, only appreciated it for its greatness after watching the Pinkpop 2000 version. One of my favourite all time live performances, the intensity was awesome. The 2000 concert versions are still the best. Excellent song to sing along to. This song is in my top 5 and I of course give it *****. Hammers made out of wood?? Not sure I thought it might have meant he has battled away and worked hard..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:07 am 
Supersonic

lyrically i think this is as good as any song Ed has written. it's a top 3 PJ tune for me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam