Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Rate Betterman
5 Stars: A Masterpiece 61%  61%  [ 125 ]
4 Stars: Strong Song 25%  25%  [ 51 ]
3 Stars: Pretty Good 6%  6%  [ 13 ]
2 Stars: Missing Something 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
1 Star: Overrated garbage 4%  4%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 202
 Post subject: SOTM: She lies and says she's in love with him...
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:30 pm 
Global Moderator

Betterman

Waiting…
Watching the clock
It's four o'clock
It's got to stop
Tell him
Take no more
She practices her speech
As he opens the door
She rolls over...
Pretends to sleep as he looks her over

She lies and says she's in love with him
Can't find a better man...
She dreams in color, she dreams in red
Can't find a better man
Can't find a better man
Can't find a better man…

Talkin' to herself
There's no one else who needs to know...
She tells herself...

Memories back when she was
Bold and strong
And waiting for the
World to come along...
Swears she knew it
Now she swears he's gone

She lies and says she's in love with him
Can't find a better man...
She dreams in color, she dreams in red
Can't find a better man
Can't find a better man
Can't find a better man…

She loved him
She don't want to leave this way
She needs him
That's why she'll be back again
Can't find a better man…

Previous Songs of the Moment
In My Tree
Red Mosquito
Porch
I Got Id
Release
Do The Evolution
Breath
Corduroy
Elderly Woman...
Leash
Hail Hail
Grievance
Love Boat Captain
Even Flow
Black Red Yellow
In Hiding
Can't Keep
Indifference
Insignificance
Whipping
Black
Smile
Push Me Pull Me
Rats
God's Dice
All or None
Yellow Ledbetter
Last Exit
Who You Are
Rearview Mirror
Hold On
Present Tense
Light Years
Alive
Brain of J
Thumbing My Way
Hard to Imagine
Tremor Christ
Rival
Animal
Lukin
You Are
betterman

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Last edited by stip on Wed May 24, 2006 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:30 pm 
Global Moderator

Betterman is a top 10 pearl jam song for me, and one of the greatest pop songs ever written. Its lyrics are masterful, the music is great, and the delivery of the lines is perfect. It’s one of the best vocal performances of a man singing from the perspective of a woman I’ve ever heard. Betterman is a masterpiece, and if they had made a video for it I think it would have been one of, if not the, dominant song of the 90’s.

First off, Betterman is not a love song. It’s a song about failing to confront an abusive relationship. The music begins softly, tentatively, with an undercurrent of fragile determination that’s echoed in Eddie’s voice. The woman waits in bed for her husband to return home. It’s four in the morning. Where was he? A bar? With another woman? Wherever he was, he wasn’t here. She’s tired of it. This time, she’s going to confront him about it. But when the moment comes she hesitates, rolls over, and pretends to sleep. She lacks the strength to go through with it. Why?

It’s because she’s afraid of being alone. She’s gotten so used to her situation, so comfortable in her rut, that the fear of the unknown (or possibly the fear of violent reprisal if you want to emphasize physical abuse) paralyzes her. She tries and convinces herself that she is still in love with him, but she’s not. She just fears being on her own, and can’t find someone better. It’s an incredibly unhealthy, and sadly common, situation. She dreams of a better life for herself, but those dreams are tainted—red is a color of rage and anger. The presence of this failed relationship haunts her even here

She keeps it inside herself. This is no one else’s business. She suffers silently and alone, and because she does she can’t avail herself of the strength of others. She can remember when she was young, strong, and independent, but the memories of those feelings are not enough to force her to act. She has moments of fire (red again) where she intends to get rid of him, but when the moment comes, she rolls over, weak and trapped. She tries to remind herself that things weren’t always like this—that maybe they will get better. But in the end we know (and she knows) they won’t. There is this dependency, this need to not be alone, that keeps her here. She was bold and strong once, but not anymore. Life has beaten her down….but even though the lyrics offer no way out, the music remains upbeat, hopeful. It reminds us that as long as the spark is still alive, no matter how deep it is buried, there is always the possibility of change. She just needs to stop suffering in silence, to find her voice, and to use it to find someone to help her reignite that inner flame. As always in Pearl Jam’s music, we find what’s best about ourselves when we look with others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:31 pm 
Global Moderator

This is obviously a five star song from me. It’s amazing on the record, and it’s fantastic live—one of the few songs I hope I hear every show. Singing the first verse with everyone else is always a great experience, and the tags only sweeten the deal. My favorite version ever is State College 03.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:31 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

I gave it 3 stars. A classic PJ song, even though I'm sick to death of it.

**Jay**

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:33 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

5 stars
I fuckin' love it!
And you can all go to hell if you're tired of it or never liked it in the first place. :P
Almost everytime when I pick up my guitar, Betterman is the first thing that comes out of my fingers. Very strange.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:34 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

Angus wrote:
you can all go to hell if you're tired of it or never liked it in the first place. :P

Sorry man. If I didn't hear it all the time back in the day, I might like it more. I admit though, when it first came out I loved it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:35 pm 
Global Moderator

LostDog1079 wrote:
Angus wrote:
you can all go to hell if you're tired of it or never liked it in the first place. :P

Sorry man. If I didn't hear it all the time back in the day, I might like it more. I admit though, when it first came out I loved it.

What would you have ranked it at before you were sick of it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:37 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
What would you have ranked it at before you were sick of it?

Don't know if I'd give it a 5, but it would definitely be a 4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:42 pm 
Force of Nature

Gotta be 5. I'd write more, but I'm only on this board right now cause I'm dicking around before a final at 7:00. Betterman has always been a favorite-- I remember hearing it way back in the day before Vitalogy on the No Fuckin Messiah bootleg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:43 pm 
Camden Crew

not much to say here. never liked it, never will. 1 star.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:44 pm 
Cameron's Stallion
 WWW  Profile

Bit sick of it, good live when the crowd sing.

13/11/06 Melbourne, 20/11/09 Melbourne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:44 pm 
Global Moderator

Cal Varnsen wrote:

god I hate you sometimes :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:47 pm 
Resident Frat Dick

9 out of 10 girls you ever meet will refer to this as their favorite PJ song.

That aside....this may very well be the very first song ever written that was eventually released as a Pearl Jam song. I would venture to guess that Eddie wrote this one before writing any other song that was eventually released by Pearl Jam, no? Someone chime in on that if you know for sure either way.

Anywho...yeah, it's definitely not my favorite PJ song. A little too poppy for me, but still a solid song. A good sing-along at live shows (if they insist on playing it, that is).

3 stars.

Which is 2 stars less than Even Flow.

9/16/96, 7/21/98, 7/22/98, 11/5/00, 11/6/00, 12/5/02, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 5/30/03, 10/22/03, 9/24/04, 3/18/05, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 7/23/06, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 9/26/09, 9/25/11

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:01 am 
Supersonic

Cal Varnsen wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:22 am 
Force of Nature

never been a fan. It was good for about 1-3 listens in 1994 before I was done with it.

Would be a bathroom break for me if it wasnt usually late in the set or in the encore. Wish it would go away. Nice perk of the Boston shows in 03 was that it was only inflicted on me once in 3 shows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:39 am 
Banned from the Pit

4 stars for me. Do Oceans next. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:42 am 
Global Moderator

VoltÆre wrote:
4 stars for me. Do Oceans next. :D

I'll add it into the que, but there is a line. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:53 am 
Banned from the Pit
 WWW  Profile

Were I to judge this song based simply on the album, it would be a mediocre Pearl Jam song. A great pop song for any band, but PJ can do a lot better - and does do a lot better pretty much everywhere else on Vitalogy. But I realized recently that despite only kind of liking this song, I actually LOVE this song, and it's because of the live show. The experience of standing in a crowd of 20,000 people all singing this song, passionately, on key, is just amazing. You can tell it means a lot to the band to make this kind of connection with the crowd, and to be in that crowd is truly moving. And whenever "Save it for Later" is tagged on the end, it gets that much better. This song was one of the highlights of the second Toronto show this year, despite the fact that I like pretty much every other song they played better. And that is what Pearl Jam does so well: they pour so much passion into each song that it almost bursts. By the time Eddie was singing "don't let me do-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-own!" the other night, the crowd was about ready to pop; it's just a simple 3-chord pop song, but Peal Jam is able to take such a song and transform it into a deeply affecting experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:14 am 
Force of Nature

A 5 star song easy. There isn't anybody that I know that doesn't like this song fans and non-fans alike. It's story is so relevent to how many women react/respond in an unhealthy relationship. The guitar playing at the beginning that seems to "sing along" with Ed is excellent. I will never tire of hearing this song.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:29 am 
Banned from the Pit
 WWW  Profile

it's weird but i actually like the ad libs eddie does at the end of the song live better than the most of lyrics but im weird like that. For example i think off of the 00's bootlegs the last show in seattle the improv at the end of BM is one of his best.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam