Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam

Rate Glorified G
5 Stars: A Classic 7%  7%  [ 8 ]
4 Stars: Really Good 38%  38%  [ 39 ]
3 Stars: Average 35%  35%  [ 36 ]
2 Stars: Bland 10%  10%  [ 11 ]
1 Star: Ugh 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
0 Stars: The world would be a better place if this song did not exist 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 101
 Post subject: SOTM 96: Always Keep it Loaded
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:02 pm 
Global Moderator

Glorifed G

Got a gun, fact I got two
That's ok man, cuz I love god
Glorified version of a pellet gun
Feels so manly, when armed

Don't think, dumb is strength
Never shot at a living thing
Feels so manly, when armed

Glorified version of a...

Always keep it loaded
Always keep it loaded
Always keep it loaded

Kindred to be an American...

Life comes...I can feel your heart...
Life comes...I can feel your heart through your neck...
Life comes...I can feel your heart through your neck...
Like some...I can steal your heart from your neck...

Glorified...glorified...

Previous Songs of the Moment
1. In My Tree
2. Red Mosquito
3. Porch
4. I Got Id
5. Release
6. Do The Evolution
7. Breath
8. Corduroy
9. Elderly Woman...
10. Leash
11. Hail Hail
12. Grievance
13. Love Boat Captain
14. Even Flow
15. Black Red Yellow
16. In Hiding
17. Can't Keep
18. Indifference
19. Insignificance
20. Whipping
21. Black
22. Smile
23. Push Me Pull Me
24. Rats
25. God's Dice
26. All or None
27. Yellow Ledbetter
28. Last Exit
29. Who You Are
30. Rearview Mirror
31. Hold On
32. Present Tense
33. Light Years
34. Alive
35. Brain of J
36. Thumbing My Way
37. Hard to Imagine
38. Tremor Christ
39. Rival
40. Animal
41. Lukin
42. You Are
43. betterman
44. Given to Fly
45. Once
46. Low Light
47. Parting Ways
48. Off He Goes
49. Go
50. get right
51. World Wide Suicide
52. Angel
53. MFC
54. Long Road
55. Why Go
56. Nothingman
57. Save You
58. Of A Girl
59. Habit
60. Satan’s Bed
61. Faithful
62. Oceans
63. Gone
64. WMA
65. State of Love and Trust
66. Spin The Black Circle
67. Life Wasted
68. Arc
69. Garden
70. All Those Yesterdays
71.Sleight of Hand
72. Other Side
73. Let Me Sleep
74. I’m Open
75. Blood
76.Nothing As It Seems
77. All Night
78. Jeremy
79. No Way
80. Around The Bend
81. Immortality
82. Comatose
83. Daughter
84. Alone
85. I am Mine
86. Down
87. Cropduster
88. Strangest Tribe
89. Inside Job
90. Drifting
91. Wishlist
92. Big Wave
93. Sad
94. Stupid Mop
95. Come Back

The perfect gift for certain occasions

Post subject: Re: SOTM 96: Always Keep it Loaded
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:02 pm 
Global Moderator

Glorified G was Pearl Jam’s first on album attempt to write a loose, fun song (dirty frank was a b-side so I won’t count it). Musically it was quite successful. It has a great main riff and it just sounds like band is having a blast playing the song. It’s a bar band kinda song and you’d expect the lyrics to be about women, partying, or something like that based on the casual groove of the song

But it’s a pearl jam song, and Eddie has always had trouble writing casual songs. Just like he doesn’t do humor that well he can only really write effectively when he’s being serious. So you’ve got serious lyrics trying to sound casual over carefree music and the end result is not as strong as it could be. If the lyrics were stronger it might work a bit better, but Eddie has a tendency to lose the nuance he brings to songs about identity and love to social critiques, and this is one of those instances. GG is a bit too heavy handed to really work. Part of it may be the bushleaguer problem—the target is so massive and so easy to hit that it is easy to be sloppy about it.

So GG is really the first pearl jam song where I felt Eddie let the band down. His vocals are great (Vs is probably Eddie’s best overall vocal performance), and the music is top notch, if unspectacular (a band having fun, not a band making a statement), but what Eddie’s singing just isn’t worth listening to. The song never quite knows what it wants to be. Eddie can’t do sarcastic social commentary very well, can’t do casual very well, and that’s what this music really called for.

It works much better these days live though, where the overall atmosphere is infectious enough that it doesn’t much matter what he is singing

3 stars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:03 pm 
Global Moderator

Can't sticky and do polls for some reason in the RM skin. Hopefully that'll be fixed soon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:08 pm 
Supersonic
 WWW  Profile

When I first got Vs, my sisters friends would come over, put this song on, and dance away. Even back then, I couldn't help but think there was something "goodie two shoes" about this song that separated it from the rest. I feel that the whole fun vibe behind the song is now lost, and the band always looks bored when they play it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:30 pm 
Force of Nature

I absolutely love Glorified G. I feel that even though it is a serious topic, it can still be done in a light way. I would compare it to The Daily Show or the Colbert Report. They handle extremely serious topics in a light/fun manner to rave reviews. I also think the song does a great job of adding variety to Vs., which helps make it a great album. 5 stars.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:32 pm 
Team Binaural
 WWW  Profile

jcfrank2 wrote:
I absolutely love Glorified G.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:10 pm 
Got Some

BadMusic wrote:
jcfrank2 wrote:
I absolutely love Glorified G.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:38 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I like to look at GG as Do the Evolution in a prepubescent stage. It’s a bit immature, doesn’t know what it wants to, but there’s plenty of promise and potential.

Rise. Life is in motion...

don't it make you smile?
don't it make you smile?
when the sun don't shine? (shine at all)
don't it make you smile?

RIP

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:42 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I actually think that this song is pretty good fun. From a song writing perspective it's FULL of hooks and catchy music and vocal parts. It makes it's point, and in fairness to Ed, i think the 'casual' nature works kinda well - it almost reflects the American attitude towards gun crime.

The cheesyness of that intro drum fill, and Stone's guitar all go hand in hand in helping to convey that false sense of security 'everything is totally fine!' attitude. I guess that wasn't what the band were thinking when they wrote the music, but i do like the way Eddie steered it that way.

The lyrics are a bit dodgy, and it hasn't stayed as strong over time...but it's still a good upbeat song, and waaay too fun to sing along with to give it anything less than 4 stars.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:36 pm 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

I have 2 memories of this song:

1. In April of '94, after the Phillies went to the World Series the previous fall, Channel 17 in Philly had a one hour special about the Phils and the new season, and if they could repeat the magic. They played this song during one segment, in which Lenny Dykstra (my favorite baseball player) was prominent. I thought that was awesome.

2. In the summer of 1999, I went to Atlantic City for the first time. On the way back, I popped Vs. into my buddy's CD deck, and he was telling me how much he loves Glorified G as the song played. While talking about it, I realized that he had been mishearing the "I love God" lyric as "I love guns."

"Got a gun,
Fact I got two
But that's okay, man
'Cause I love guns"

:? :lol:

I haven't heard this one in years, and don't really care if I ever hear it again. I don't dislike the song, but it's really nothing special at all. Plus, I'm a gun-owner, so I'm much more biased nowadays than I was as a teenager. The music is great but the lyrics are immature, high school English 101 bullshit.

And Stip, I'm curious - why didn't you choose the "Kindred to be an American" lyric for the thread title? I've always thought that was the best lyric of the song, especially the way Ed delivers it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:58 pm 
Global Moderator

dirtyfrank0705 wrote:
And Stip, I'm curious - why didn't you choose the "Kindred to be an American" lyric for the thread title? I've always thought that was the best lyric of the song, especially the way Ed delivers it.

in part cuz I'm not quite sure what it means. it's kinda like the 'nothing for to say' lyric in WWS where the sentiment is clear but I don't like how the line is delivered.

At any rate I can change it if you'd like. I'm not invested in the choice that is there

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:11 pm 
Of Counsel

Worst song on Vs. Does nothing for me.

Like someone else said, it's like an immature DTE. I'd say it's like an immature Big Wave. Ed's attempt to work a serious subject into a throwaway riff (which I don't even find to be that much fun, unlike Leash, which I also don't like all that much, but the riff is super) is ham-handed and awkward.

I much prefer W.M.A.

2 stars.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:13 pm 
Epitome of cool
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
dirtyfrank0705 wrote:

in part cuz I'm not quite sure what it means. it's kinda like the 'nothing for to say' lyric in WWS where the sentiment is clear but I don't like how the line is delivered.

At any rate I can change it if you'd like. I'm not invested in the choice that is there

No, no. I was just curious.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:15 pm 
Former PJ Drummer
 WWW  Profile

my friend always says "glorified version of appelate court," effectively ruining the song for me every time i hear it... great song though

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:56 pm 
Stone's Bitch
 WWW  Profile

I love this song, this was the first PJ song I listened to and REALLY got them and felt a kindred spirit with them. I have always stood with bands like REM and U2 politically- but they were too wimpy or something musically....I need to identify with a hardass band, who musically sings on issues I can really relate to. PJ was the first band who fit this bill perfectly and this song was the embodiment of what I was looking for. I am an educated liberal from a long line of educated democrats and we have always been strangers in a strange world here in rural western Pa- where 50% are redneck gun toting republicans and 50% are SERIOUS religious right republicans. I always felt this song was me singing out to all my ridiculous neighbors who have their gun collection in the basement and have their confederate flag in their garage window, toting off their kids to the presbyterian church every Sunday to stand next to the professors of Grove City College and hear about how the godless Clinton administration was coming to get their 'guunnzz.' This song was and has always been very empowering to me in my situation. And unlike stip, I actually think Eddie does biting sarcasm well, as long as its infused with enough anger. Since I was always anger about having to listen to people around here, this song is fun, but at its heart is (my) anger.

My pages are from #101 to #115: http://books.google.com/books?id=v8r__p ... ry_s&cad=0

Last edited by chris2414 on Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:57 pm 
Got Some

Ugh. Way too heavy handed lyrically. Musically it's only okay at best; I do like the opening though. But then starts to sound 80s hair band-ish. It would have made a tolerable B side but that's the best I can say of it. Of the songs they've brought back into the rotation this is one I have to ask "Why?".
To me it's legacy is when ever I hear someone sound too full of themselves in a preachy neo-con way I think "that's okay man because I love God"
I like the comparison to an immature Evolution.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:13 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

bondcfh007 wrote:
my friend always says "glorified version of appelate court," effectively ruining the song for me every time i hear it... great song though

Haha. "of a pellican" is the classic misheard one i think. My friend thought it was "45 virgins and a pelican". Hmm.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:38 pm 
Former PJ Drummer

In my bottom 10 PJ songs. I gave it 1 star because it's a Pearl Jam song.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:24 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Worst song on the record. Just because it's a little funny i'll give it 2 stars.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:15 pm 
Supersonic

I agree with Stip 100% on this one. It is a lot of fun on boots these days, though not really as much at the actual concert.

Board index » Watched from the Window, with a Red Mosquito... » Pearl Jam